Large GUIs run slowly in 5.3

Post by Dave O'Rourk » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

        We have a large project that was implemented entirely in Matlab with a
GUI.  The GUI was developed under 5.2.  We recently upgraded to Matlab
5.3 and the exact same GUI runs intolerably slow under the same
conditions (i.e. same resources available).  As suggested by a Matlab
applications engineer, all necessary figures are created at startup (~20
figures, each with it's own uimenus and uicontrols) and made invisible
until needed.  This did help in 5.2 and things were good.

        Now in 5.3, it seems that Matlab cannot handle that many objects.  To
give you an idea, it takes ~5 sec. for a response to clicks on the down
arrow of a listbox control, and as much as 15 seconds to refresh the
figure underneath the one with the listbox when the focus changes
windows.  We have both 5.2 and 5.3 on the system right now and I have
tried both.  It is not entirely a resources issue.  I am running Matlab
5.3 on a SUN Sparc Ultra with 640 Meg of memory and a huge swap file.  I
am not swapping, the CPU is not loaded down, and Matlab uses ~27 Meg in
both 5.2 and 5.3.

        Right now, we cannot move our GUI applications to 5.3.  This is a
serious problem and we need some answers.  I realize that speed is a
difficult thing to pin down because there are a lot of factors.  But the
simple fact is that it worked OK in 5.2 and not in 5.3.  Perhaps you can
tell me why?  All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dave O'Rourke
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Large GUIs run slowly in 5.3

Post by Damian T. Packe » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for reporting this - we'll look into it right away.  If you can email
any MFiles which can demonstrate the problem, that would be very helpful.

-Damian

Quote:> We have a large project that was implemented entirely in Matlab with a
>GUI.  The GUI was developed under 5.2.  We recently upgraded to Matlab
>5.3 and the exact same GUI runs intolerably slow under the same
>conditions (i.e. same resources available).  As suggested by a Matlab
>applications engineer, all necessary figures are created at startup (~20
>figures, each with it's own uimenus and uicontrols) and made invisible
>until needed.  This did help in 5.2 and things were good.

> Now in 5.3, it seems that Matlab cannot handle that many objects.  To
>give you an idea, it takes ~5 sec. for a response to clicks on the down
>arrow of a listbox control, and as much as 15 seconds to refresh the
>figure underneath the one with the listbox when the focus changes
>windows.  We have both 5.2 and 5.3 on the system right now and I have
>tried both.  It is not entirely a resources issue.  I am running Matlab
>5.3 on a SUN Sparc Ultra with 640 Meg of memory and a huge swap file.  I
>am not swapping, the CPU is not loaded down, and Matlab uses ~27 Meg in
>both 5.2 and 5.3.

> Right now, we cannot move our GUI applications to 5.3.  This is a
>serious problem and we need some answers.  I realize that speed is a
>difficult thing to pin down because there are a lot of factors.  But the
>simple fact is that it worked OK in 5.2 and not in 5.3.  Perhaps you can
>tell me why?  All suggestions are appreciated.

>Thanks in advance,
>Dave O'Rourke
>MIT Lincoln Laboratory

1. Trouble opening large image file in MATLAB 5.3

I have a set of images which were originally
captured using a MacIntosh Quadra 700 using IPlab
software.  Back then, when I was using MATLAB 4.1
on a SUN platform, I was able to open these files
successfully, using a special .m file (which I
called macIPread.m) written by the Mathworks.

Now, using the newer version MATLAB 5.3, I get an
error message opening
these same files ("g002" is the name of a sample
image file):

15feb00
??? Error using ==> fread
Invalid size.

Error in ==>
/home/ant_sue/test_op03/nambe_tar_archive/macIPread.m
On line 64  ==> [X] =
fread(fp,[nrows,ncols],'int16');

The actual file size is given by ...
{nambe} 22 % ls -la  g002
-rw-r--r--    1 5945     310      2527520 Aug 14
1993 g002

I am wondering WHY
(1) I am having this problem with the newer
version, and not with the earlier version.

(2) What I can do to resolve this problem.

The Mathworks support folks emailed me what seems
to be a generic form-letter reply:

"This might be a limitation of MATLAB's FOPEN
routines due to the underlying Standard C Library
implementation of FOPEN, which only guarantees the
ability to address memory in files of less than
2^31 - 1 bytes.   The reason behind fopen()'s
limitation is that a 32 bit integer is used to
represent the position in the file ...

You can workaround this C limitation by breaking
up your file into smaller sections, preferably on
boundaries which are logical divisions of your
data.  It may be also be possible to use
non-Standard library functions to address larger
files.  You would need to create a C MEX-file to
use this second option."

Has anyone else had trouble opening large image
files?  (Any resolution?)

Thanks in advance,

Sue Foltz

P.S. Copies of file g002 and macIPread.m can be
supplied upon request.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. test vector tools

3. Simulation running very slowly, why?

4. Cleaning Psion 3c

5. Fortran-Mex program runs very slowly in Version 6

6. Pagenation for Tex

7. SoS ... my matlab program runs too slowly###@@

8. Has anybody tried using Duron 900 or 1000 for running Matlab 5.3 or 6?

9. Linux Mandrake 8.0 won't run matlab 5.3

10. running Matlab 6.0 .fig & .m files in Matlab 5.3

11. Matlab 5.3 won't run under RedHat7.0