error estimate of coeff

Post by w wa » Sat, 08 Nov 2003 09:40:47

I am trying to figure out how to get an error estimate for
coefficients from say a linear fit.

Lets say for instance I want to fit my data (x,y) to a simple
straight line:

coeff = polyfit(x,y,1);

I want to find out the error in the slope of the fitted line, i.e.,
the error in coeff(1).

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

majid

error estimate of coeff

Post by Dan Hensle » Sat, 08 Nov 2003 09:55:51

> I am trying to figure out how to get an error estimate for
> coefficients from say a linear fit.

> Lets say for instance I want to fit my data (x,y) to a simple
> straight line:

> coeff = polyfit(x,y,1);

> I want to find out the error in the slope of the fitted line, i.e.,
> the error in coeff(1).

> Any ideas/suggestions?

If you do a 'help polyfit' and take a careful look at paragraph 2, you'll
see something that might be what you want.

Dan

1. Using MATLAB to estimate true predictive error

Hello....

I don't know if MATLAB can do this, any advice would be much
appreciated.

I need to find the optimal complexity of a model based on the
criteria
that it should minimise the predictive error (i.e. Residual
Sum of Squares) associated with my dataset and also an independent
validation dataset. This way it optimises to more than one dataset -
which is what I want.

Can MATLAB do this sort of thing?

2. The UKs Top Mathematical Modelling/Simulation Appointments - ECM

3. Estimating Error

4. System Configuration Utility

5. MATLAB SPTool coeffs to DSP implementaiton Question

6. How many Visual Basic developers are there?

7. Generating filter coeffs. with Matlab

8. Rebuilding the primary DC in our domain

9. Vectorization of Kendall coeff. algorithm

10. estimating limits for plotmatrix

11. Estimating smallest singular value of a matrix

12. estimate using bootstrapping

13. Matlab Spectrum Estimating Functions are Confusing Me!!!