Converting .csv files to .qif for import into Money.

Converting .csv files to .qif for import into Money.

Post by Richard Latte » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 01:50:25

Hello all,

I recently had a crash on my computer which lead me to loose almost 6 months
of accounts.  I know, I should have backed everything up, which I did, but
when I recovered the disk, it was corrupted.

However, I have since scanned all my statements in and have exported them as
comma separated files.  What I would like to do is convert these files to
.qif so I can input them into Money 2002.  Has anybody come accross this
situation and could anyone advise me on how to do this.  I hope there's a
utility out there to help me.

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

Converting .csv files to .qif for import into Money.

Post by Dick Watso » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:20:45

The FAQ on the subject:
---
Q4): How do I import from Excel (or .CSV or etc.)?

A4): Money can only import QIF format data (or entire Quicken 2001 or
earlier files).

An Excel macro exists that can write .QIF format files from Excel.
Unfortunately, that macro is an old XLM style macro and that type of macro
has not been supported by Excel for many versions now. Microsoft has never
seen fit to issue any new capability like this.

Having said that, it is worth noting that QIF is just a text file with a
format that is not, apparently, all that complex. It should be reasonably
straightforward for someone used to mucking around in VBA for Excel to write
code to generate passable QIF files. The QIF file format is an ad hoc
standard semi-documented by Quicken. The references, all identified from a
search at google, may help you get there. There were many more references
that were not included here and these references may not be good currently.
If you create some code for this, please report back here and offer it up to
the community.

One reader, Didier Lachize, has done just that. There has been no feedback
on this macro.