Money 98, NT, IE 4.0, etc.

Post by Richard Bolla » Sun, 02 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Well, I can report that Money, NT, & IE can coexist peacefully.  In my
installation efforts over the past two days, Money did give me the two main
problems that others have complained of....  The bill reminder and the too
long string problem bit me, as did the corrupted file issue.  The corrupted
file issue appears like it will be an issue for every NT user at some point,
if I understand the readme files properly -- the Service Pack needs to be
reinstalled periodically, and if you forget the regsvr line, voila -- DOA.

Anyway, I can report that for me, at least, Money simply flies on a P166 &
NT, compared to a P133 & 95.  No doubt the NTFS file system is doing much to
help, as I notice most file operations are much faster.

Anyway, off to figure out how to make a tape drive work in NT so that I can
restore the rest of my stuff.

Money 98, NT, IE 4.0, etc.

Post by Scott W. Sovereig » Mon, 03 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Richard or Kim-

Could someone post a compilation of all of the NT issues, fixes, and work
arounds?  Or, possibly even get Microsoft to post them to the tech support
section of the Money web pages?  I have just ordered a new system that will
come preloaded with NT.  I know my way around Win 95 pretty well, but I have
absolutely no experience with NT.  Thanks.

--
================
Scott W. Sovereign

>Richard,

>Thanks for the feedback. I will be installing NT4 soon myself, so I'll know
>who to hunt down for my questions with Money! :-)

>--
>Regards,
>Kim Smith
>Microsoft MVP DTA - Money

>I will no longer respond to direct email unless I have requested it.
>Please post to the newsgroups so that others may benefit from your
>questions.

>**Suggestions/Wishes:
>   http://www.microsoft.com/regwiz/regwiz.asp
>**Microsoft Money Home Pages:
>   http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.htm
>   http://www.microsoft.com/support/

>>Well, I can report that Money, NT, & IE can coexist peacefully.  In my
>>installation efforts over the past two days, Money did give me the two
main
>>problems that others have complained of....  The bill reminder and the too
>>long string problem bit me, as did the corrupted file issue.  The
corrupted
>>file issue appears like it will be an issue for every NT user at some
>point,
>>if I understand the readme files properly -- the Service Pack needs to be
>>reinstalled periodically, and if you forget the regsvr line, voila -- DOA.

>>Anyway, I can report that for me, at least, Money simply flies on a P166 &
>>NT, compared to a P133 & 95.  No doubt the NTFS file system is doing much
>>help, as I notice most file operations are much faster.

>>Anyway, off to figure out how to make a tape drive work in NT so that I
can
>>restore the rest of my stuff.

Money 98, NT, IE 4.0, etc.

Post by Richard Bolla » Mon, 03 Nov 1997 04:00:00

There are really only four NT issues that I know about.

1.  You need to be using the 128 bit version of Service Pack 3.  I doubt
that will come with your computer, and you will need to download it from
http://mssecure.www.conxion.com/cgi-bin/ntitar.pl not the ieitar.pl that you
might see on the Money site.

2.  In the event that you either don't install SP 3 before IE 4, or have to
reinstall SP 3 later (which is likely, as it appears that you need to do
this after you install additional components, don't forget to click Start:
Run and type
    regsvr32 rsabase.dll -- If you don't, you'll get the file corruption
error in Money.

3.  Don't change the Installation Path suggestion on Money installation to
anything longer than what's suggested -- If you do, the Reminder will
eventually stop working and complain about the length of the path name.

4.  You need to install as the Administrator, or you won't have access to
the videos.

Good luck and let me know if any other troubles crop up.

>Richard or Kim-

>Could someone post a compilation of all of the NT issues, fixes, and work
>arounds?  Or, possibly even get Microsoft to post them to the tech support
>section of the Money web pages?  I have just ordered a new system that will
>come preloaded with NT.  I know my way around Win 95 pretty well, but I
have
>absolutely no experience with NT.  Thanks.

>--
>================
>Scott W. Sovereign

>>Richard,

>>Thanks for the feedback. I will be installing NT4 soon myself, so I'll
know
>>who to hunt down for my questions with Money! :-)

>>--
>>Regards,
>>Kim Smith
>>Microsoft MVP DTA - Money

>>I will no longer respond to direct email unless I have requested it.
>>Please post to the newsgroups so that others may benefit from your
>>questions.

>>**Suggestions/Wishes:
>>   http://www.microsoft.com/regwiz/regwiz.asp
>>**Microsoft Money Home Pages:
>>   http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.htm
>>   http://www.microsoft.com/support/

>>>Well, I can report that Money, NT, & IE can coexist peacefully.  In my
>>>installation efforts over the past two days, Money did give me the two
>main
>>>problems that others have complained of....  The bill reminder and the
too
>>>long string problem bit me, as did the corrupted file issue.  The
>corrupted
>>>file issue appears like it will be an issue for every NT user at some
>>point,
>>>if I understand the readme files properly -- the Service Pack needs to be
>>>reinstalled periodically, and if you forget the regsvr line, voila --
DOA.

>>>Anyway, I can report that for me, at least, Money simply flies on a P166
&
>>>NT, compared to a P133 & 95.  No doubt the NTFS file system is doing much
>>>help, as I notice most file operations are much faster.

>>>Anyway, off to figure out how to make a tape drive work in NT so that I
>can
>>>restore the rest of my stuff.

Money 98, NT, IE 4.0, etc.

Post by Richard Gamber » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> There are really only four NT issues that I know about.

Maybe there's a #5?

I've run into the corrupt file after running service pack; but then
this:
I decided to try the Active Desktop for IE; after it was installed,
Money told me it needed components from IE to run and to re-install
Money. I did. It gave me the same message. I uninstalled the Active
Desktop and Money no longer gave me the re-install message. Interesting
though - since I uninstalled Active Desktop, certain features of it
(most notably the task bar toolbars, and local windows like Control
Panel appearing as "web pages") remain activated.

> 1.  You need to be using the 128 bit version of Service Pack 3.  I doubt
> that will come with your computer, and you will need to download it from
> http://mssecure.www.conxion.com/cgi-bin/ntitar.pl not the ieitar.pl that you
> might see on the Money site.

> 2.  In the event that you either don't install SP 3 before IE 4, or have to
> reinstall SP 3 later (which is likely, as it appears that you need to do
> this after you install additional components, don't forget to click Start:
> Run and type
>     regsvr32 rsabase.dll -- If you don't, you'll get the file corruption
> error in Money.

> 3.  Don't change the Installation Path suggestion on Money installation to
> anything longer than what's suggested -- If you do, the Reminder will
> eventually stop working and complain about the length of the path name.

> 4.  You need to install as the Administrator, or you won't have access to
> the videos.

> Good luck and let me know if any other troubles crop up.

> >Richard or Kim-

> >Could someone post a compilation of all of the NT issues, fixes, and work
> >arounds?  Or, possibly even get Microsoft to post them to the tech support
> >section of the Money web pages?  I have just ordered a new system that will
> >come preloaded with NT.  I know my way around Win 95 pretty well, but I
> have
> >absolutely no experience with NT.  Thanks.

> >--
> >================
> >Scott W. Sovereign

> >>Richard,

> >>Thanks for the feedback. I will be installing NT4 soon myself, so I'll
> know
> >>who to hunt down for my questions with Money! :-)

> >>--
> >>Regards,
> >>Kim Smith
> >>Microsoft MVP DTA - Money

> >>I will no longer respond to direct email unless I have requested it.
> >>Please post to the newsgroups so that others may benefit from your
> >>questions.

> >>**Suggestions/Wishes:
> >>   http://www.microsoft.com/regwiz/regwiz.asp
> >>**Microsoft Money Home Pages:
> >>   http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.htm
> >>   http://www.microsoft.com/support/

> >main
> too
> >corrupted
> >>point,
> DOA.

> &

> >can

1. Does IE 4.0 Preview for NT work with Money Secure Txns?

Does anybody know if the IE 4.0 B2 for NT works with Money 5.0/97 for
secure sites, such as Discover Card Services?  I had a heck of a time with
the schannel.dll problem when initially installing Money.  Finally got it
solved, and don't want to undo my good efforts.  However, the IE 4.0 looks
really useful, especially the Outlook Express.

The download site lists a 128-bit platform for Win95, but that doesn't
appear to work with NT 4.0.  Could be the old schannel.dll will work with
IE 4.0, but who knows?  Not me!

Any wizards have the answer to this question? (Kim?)

Thanks,
Mike

2. USR Voice

3. Communication Error on NT 4.0 SP3 with IE 4.01

4. TFM File Format

5. Ms Money 98 on a W NT Server 4.0

6. Combo box

7. installation problems Money 98 (ger.) NT 4.0

8. Which LAN Card for the iPAQ ?

9. Money 98 Install problem on NT 4.0 SP3

10. Money 98 on NT 4.0

11. Money 98 Freezes under NT 4.0

12. Money 98 and Windows NT 4.0

13. Money 98 & NT 4.0