Depositing Multiple Checks...

Post by Scot » Tue, 25 May 2004 20:42:30

I see that multiple checks can be deposited through Money
which works so long as that none of the checks are payroll
checks where taxes are being recorded. If I go to include
a payroll check along with others in a single deposit, I
can't do it. I have to deposit payroll checks
independently. This is a bigger issue if you are working
with online banking and reconciliation. When the data
comes from your bank, it can't find the proper amount of
the deposit (every time you connect).

Anyone know the solution or is this a flaw in the program?

Thanks in advance

Depositing Multiple Checks...

Post by Dick Watso » Tue, 25 May 2004 21:27:21

From a prior thread in my FAQ pending file:
---
The category part is easy. You use the split. But the tougher part is if you
want to list all of the payees. A Money transaction allows one Payee, no
matter how many splits. This makes it hard to list ten payees for ten checks
in one split transaction.

Some choices:

1a) Ignore the payees and put them all in one split transaction.
1b) Put the payees in the memo(s) and make the Payee something like
(various).

2) "Deposit" all the checks in separate transactions to some Money account
that is not the real world Bank account. If you have a pocket change
account, for instance, this is a good place to do it. Then do a single
transfer of the total amount to the actual account where these are
deposited.

3) Ignore the fact that you deposited them in one deposit and create
multiple Money transactions. This makes it slightly more difficult to
reconcile vs. the bank statement since you have to remember that all of
these small deposits in Money add up to that large deposit on the statement.

Re. #1, since a Money Paycheck is a special type of split, if one of the
items deposited is a paycheck and you do full accounting in a Paycheck
transaction, adding other checks to this deposits probably causes more
confusion than it is worth. But you could do it. Just add them to the after
tax tab.

#3 causes grief for those who download transaction data.

> I see that multiple checks can be deposited through Money
> which works so long as that none of the checks are payroll
> checks where taxes are being recorded. If I go to include
> a payroll check along with others in a single deposit, I
> can't do it. I have to deposit payroll checks
> independently. This is a bigger issue if you are working
> with online banking and reconciliation. When the data
> comes from your bank, it can't find the proper amount of
> the deposit (every time you connect).

> Anyone know the solution or is this a flaw in the program?

> Thanks in advance

1. Multiple check deposits from yourself

I remember a while back someone asked how to record a transaction in which
you wrote yourself several checks from one account and deposited them all at
once to another account. I did exactly this the other day and wanted to
share how it can be done:

First go to the register for the account you are depositing the checks to.
Instead of clicking "transfer", select "deposit". Then click to split the
categories. From here enter each check as a seperate split transfer category
from your other account. It may be helpful to enter check numbers on the
memo line since you can't enter them on the split categories window.

Next, go over to the register for the account that you wrote all of the
checks from. Here you should now see seperate line items for each check, but
the check numbers are not filled in. Go back and add the check numbers as
necessary. They will then remain there even though they are attached to the
split transaction on the other register.

-Jeff

2. help: spaces in names using ftp

3. Recording multiple checks in a single deposit

5. Depositing checks from multiple payees

6. Problem downloading file

7. Match Multiple Deposits to one Recurning Deposit???

8. Constraints and SQL3 standard

9. Multiple Direct Deposits from Paycheck?

10. MS Money Small Business 05 Entering multiple invoice payments in one deposit

11. Single deposit from multiple invoices?

12. Undeposited funds / multiple payments and one deposit

13. multiple transaction deposits