Upgrade to Money 98????

Post by Robert Nose » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I too found Money 98 slow, and one of the reasons must be the file size. My
file in 97 is about 950k. After the conversion to 98 it became about 5.3Meg.
I can't imagine how that could be possible, but it took 2 or 3 minutes to
close the damn thing. The final straw was when I tried to change the credit
limit on a card. This was a simple matter in 97 but I never did find the way
in 98. I suppose there is one, but I'd say it is well hidden. I'm back to 97
to stay.

Bob

Upgrade to Money 98????

Post by Richard A. Bilanci » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Hi Bob,

>Regarding the data file size:

>Money 98 now uses a Jet database. This is described with more detail in the
>Knowledge Base article Q174978 Money 98: Why Are My Files Larger.
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q174/9/78.asp
>--
>Regards,
>Kim Smith
>Microsoft MVP - Money/Investor

Knowing this, I tried something--I changed the filename extension on my
"*.mny" file to "*.mdb".  When I tried to open the file with Access 8.0,
Access apparently knew enough about the file to give me the following
message:

    "Record(s) can't be read; no read permission on 'Tables'.

Anyone have any ideas how to read this file directly with MS Access?

Rich
---
"Adversity is the crucible in which greatness is forged." - Ken Baker
 Computer Guidance & Support
 Richard A. Bilancia
 P. O. Box 620127
 Littleton, Colorado  80162-0127
 Voice: (303) 973-4035 - FAX: (303) 979-2248

Activity-Based Management and Open Systems Accounting Solutions

Upgrade to Money 98????

Post by Joe Norto » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I think you create a new database and create new tables in it as links to
tables in the Money database.

--

Joe Norton
Ringwood, NJ

Quote:

Post by Richard A. Bilanci » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I think you create a new database and create new tables in it as links to
>tables in the Money database.
>--
>Joe Norton
>Ringwood, NJ

>>Knowing this, I tried something--I changed the filename extension on my
>>"*.mny" file to "*.mdb".  When I tried to open the file with Access 8.0,
>>Access apparently knew enough about the file to give me the following
>>message:

>>    "Record(s) can't be read; no read permission on 'Tables'.

>>Anyone have any ideas how to read this file directly with MS Access?

That worked just fine!  Thank you!

The only small glitch was that Access apparently does not use the same
password encryption--I simply needed to remove the password from the Money
file BEFORE starting Access.

Rich
---