Converting a backup file to .mny

Post by Steve Roome » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:30:13

My new computer has Money 2002, and my old computer had
Money 98. I was able to restore the 98 backup file to the
2002 version. But I need to convert it to the normal .mny
file in order to do my normal transaction. Unfortunately
I can not figure how to convert these files.

Please Advise.

Converting a backup file to .mny

Post by Dick Watso » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:39:48

When you restored it, Money would have made a new .MNY file. The backup
remains untouched--it's only read in the process of making the new .MNY
file. (I''m assuming that "I was able to restore the 98 backup file to the
2002 version" means you did just that.)

Quote:> My new computer has Money 2002, and my old computer had
> Money 98. I was able to restore the 98 backup file to the
> 2002 version. But I need to convert it to the normal .mny
> file in order to do my normal transaction. Unfortunately
> I can not figure how to convert these files.

Converting a backup file to .mny

Post by Steve Roome » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:49:37

Thanks for the reply, however 2002 Money did not create
a .mny file. I have tried without any success thru
explorer to convert the backup files.

Post by Dick Watso » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:21:45

Creating a .MNY file is the only thing that Money knows to do with a .MBF
file. I can only conclude that you didn't do what you reported having done.

Do you have a .MBF (Money Backup File) file? If so, either double-click/open
it or go into Money, select File|Restore Backup..., select Restore from a
backup file (at least this choice appears in M03 after use--I can't say for
sure that yours will ask), navigate to the .MBF and select it, click
Restore. Money will propose a place and ask where you want to put the .MNY
file it is about to create from the restored backup. Here's where you need
to pay close attention...

Quote:> Thanks for the reply, however 2002 Money did not create
> a .mny file. I have tried without any success thru
> explorer to convert the backup files.

1. Converting M99.mny to M2003.mny.....

....I receive this error: "Money cannot open this file because it was
created by an incompatible version". My Money 99 is an italian version; I
downloaded trial version of M2003 (M11USWEB.exe) and I installed it in a
separated folder, anyway M03 changed my files in my original folder and I
had to reinstall Money 99 to fix up all. I think the two programs speak a
different language...
I should like to know if it will be possible to use my M99.mny file with
next Money 2004 and if this, or Money 2003, will be available also in
italian version (I noted that Italy is not in the list of international site
of Money).
Thank you.

2. batteries : NiMH or LiON ?

3. Converting a .MN9 file to .mny

4. HP6300C scanner fax button

5. Converting *mny file from Money 99 7.0 to Trial Edition of Money 2001

6. Powermac goes to sleep when cell phone rings ...

7. Converting old mny files to $98

8. MNY 97 files not converting to MNY98

9. Corrupt MNY file Corrupt Backups

10. Error reading MNY and backup files (MSMoney99)

11. Saving a 2002 Money backup file as a 2000 backup file

12. Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004