Same Category for both income & expense?

Same Category for both income & expense?

Post by Trevor Glento » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone give me a clue? I'm using
Money '98.

I would like to perform some analysis of the incomings and outgoings within
a single account. I can assign categories to both, but I can't see any easy
way to tie them together to get a picture of incomings vs. outgoings for
each category because I can't use the same category name twice. I know I
could do it manually by using category names like <Name>-Income and
<Name>-Expense, but I'm still left with a manual sum to do at the end. Two
questions:

1) Is there any easy way to fix this, either within Money '98 or by using it
alongside (say) Excel?

2) Is there a rival product which will perform this function  more easily?

(Remove the 'filler' for reply address).

Same Category for both income & expense?

Post by Judy Ba » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

In '97 I can Find all transactions for a payee & create a report from
there.

> This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone give me a clue? I'm using
> Money '98.

> I would like to perform some analysis of the incomings and outgoings within
> a single account. I can assign categories to both, but I can't see any easy
> way to tie them together to get a picture of incomings vs. outgoings for
> each category because I can't use the same category name twice. I know I
> could do it manually by using category names like <Name>-Income and
> <Name>-Expense, but I'm still left with a manual sum to do at the end. Two
> questions:

> 1) Is there any easy way to fix this, either within Money '98 or by using it
> alongside (say) Excel?

> 2) Is there a rival product which will perform this function  more easily?

> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

> (Remove the 'filler' for reply address).

Same Category for both income & expense?

Post by Michael Gordon - MV » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Make sure (in Tools: Options: Categories) that you don't have the "require
correct" box checked. Then you can use the same category for both Income and
Expenses.

--
Michael Gordon
MVP - Office

> This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone give me a clue? I'm using
> Money '98.

> I would like to perform some analysis of the incomings and outgoings
within
> a single account. I can assign categories to both, but I can't see any
easy
> way to tie them together to get a picture of incomings vs. outgoings for
> each category because I can't use the same category name twice. I know I
> could do it manually by using category names like <Name>-Income and
> <Name>-Expense, but I'm still left with a manual sum to do at the end. Two
> questions:

> 1) Is there any easy way to fix this, either within Money '98 or by using
it
> alongside (say) Excel?

> 2) Is there a rival product which will perform this function  more easily?

> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

> (Remove the 'filler' for reply address).

Same Category for both income & expense?

Post by Trevor Glento » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Unfortunately that's not what I'm after. There may be multiple sources of
money and multiple payees. What I'm trying to do is evaluate all the income
and expenses for a particular project.

To give you a bit more detail, I'm evaluating whether MS Money can be used
to manage the "School Fund" account at my wife's primary school. For
accounting reasons, income and expenses must be categorised under various
headings. For instance, there may be a category 'Plays' for putting on a
school play, where the income is likely to come solely from ticket sales,
but the outgoings will cover things like makeup, hire of staging, lighting,
etc. I want to be able to provide a breakdown across income and expense for
each category whilst also being able to do bank reconciliation on the single
bank account.

Anyway, thanks for the thought. Does anyone else have any suggestions?