Personal finance software advice?

Post by markus4.. » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 02:35:20

Hi,

I live in the UK and have a bank account with barclays and also a
barclaycard credit card; both of which I can access statements from via
online banking (although my barclays current account only keeps records
for the last 6 months).

I'm looking for some software that can connect regularly to both my
current account and credit card account and download statements;
archive them and allow me to assign categories to each transaction; ie:
look back on a weeks spending and change a generic ATM WITHDRAWL entry
to 'Money Spent on Beer', for a transaction on a friday night; just so
I can analyse how much i'm spending on what...

Is there any software that can do this?  It doesn't really need to be
too complex, but i'd prefer it if it were automated rather than having
to do it all manually in excel.

Personal finance software advice?

Post by Bob Peel, MV » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 03:02:16

With some bias ;-) it sounds like you need MS Money 2005. Provided Barclays
allow you to download files containing the two accounts details then you can
import into Money and analyse to your hearts content.

Two points a) Money is heavily regionalised so make sure you get a UK
version not US, b) a fellow MVP has a Money site you might want to browse
http://money.mvps.org/

Although there is a US Money 2006 the latest UK version is M2005.

Finally there is a NG aimed at UK users microsoft.public.uk.money.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Neil Hampto » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 05:32:40

> Hi,

> I live in the UK and have a bank account with barclays and also a
> barclaycard credit card; both of which I can access statements from via
> online banking (although my barclays current account only keeps records
> for the last 6 months).

> I'm looking for some software that can connect regularly to both my
> current account and credit card account and download statements;
> archive them and allow me to assign categories to each transaction; ie:
> look back on a weeks spending and change a generic ATM WITHDRAWL entry
> to 'Money Spent on Beer', for a transaction on a friday night; just so
> I can analyse how much i'm spending on what...

> Is there any software that can do this?  It doesn't really need to be
> too complex, but i'd prefer it if it were automated rather than having
> to do it all manually in excel.

I use Microsoft Money myself and find it excellent (and it is not
expensive).  Most banks let you download statements from their online
banking and these go straight into Money.

I have been using it for several years to run a couple of club accounts
too and had no problems.

I am using Money 2002, and have heard some horror storys from people
upgrading to Money 2005 but I suspect that starting from scratch is
probably ok.

Regards,
Neil.

Personal finance software advice?

Post by Marcus Fo » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 05:43:18

Quote:> With some bias ;-) it sounds like you need MS Money 2005. Provided
Barclays
> allow you to download files containing the two accounts details then you
can
> import into Money and analyse to your hearts content.

> Two points a) Money is heavily regionalised so make sure you get a UK
> version not US, b) a fellow MVP has a Money site you might want to browse
> http://money.mvps.org/

> Although there is a US Money 2006 the latest UK version is M2005.

> Finally there is a NG aimed at UK users microsoft.public.uk.money.

I am in the UK and using the US ver. 2006. For my credit card and other
accounts I manually enter the information into the registers. But for my
Barclays account I simply download the statements. With your account
register in Money open, log into your online banking in the normal way with
IE. Then there is a drop down box on the left that by default says
"Customise My Site". Select "Export Data" and Go. Select your software
package and then the account. Follow through and Money will automatically
detect the download and integrate the transactions.

Marcus

Post by Neil Hampto » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 05:57:05

>> Hi,

>> I live in the UK and have a bank account with barclays and also a
>> barclaycard credit card; both of which I can access statements from via
>> online banking (although my barclays current account only keeps records
>> for the last 6 months).

>> I'm looking for some software that can connect regularly to both my
>> current account and credit card account and download statements;
>> archive them and allow me to assign categories to each transaction; ie:
>> look back on a weeks spending and change a generic ATM WITHDRAWL entry
>> to 'Money Spent on Beer', for a transaction on a friday night; just so
>> I can analyse how much i'm spending on what...

>> Is there any software that can do this?  It doesn't really need to be
>> too complex, but i'd prefer it if it were automated rather than having
>> to do it all manually in excel.

> I use Microsoft Money myself and find it excellent (and it is not
> expensive).  Most banks let you download statements from their online
> banking and these go straight into Money.

> I have been using it for several years to run a couple of club accounts
> too and had no problems.

> I am using Money 2002, and have heard some horror storys from people
> upgrading to Money 2005 but I suspect that starting from scratch is
> probably ok.

> Regards,
> Neil.

I should point out that there are other alternatives - e.g. Quicken

www.quicken.com

I have no experience of this but have heard it is very good.

Regards,
Neil.

Personal finance software advice?

Post by Bob Peel, MV » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 06:08:43

However Quicken has withdrawn support from it's UK product!

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

>>> Hi,

>>> I live in the UK and have a bank account with barclays and also a
>>> barclaycard credit card; both of which I can access statements from via
>>> online banking (although my barclays current account only keeps records
>>> for the last 6 months).

>>> I'm looking for some software that can connect regularly to both my
>>> current account and credit card account and download statements;
>>> archive them and allow me to assign categories to each transaction; ie:
>>> look back on a weeks spending and change a generic ATM WITHDRAWL entry
>>> to 'Money Spent on Beer', for a transaction on a friday night; just so
>>> I can analyse how much i'm spending on what...

>>> Is there any software that can do this?  It doesn't really need to be
>>> too complex, but i'd prefer it if it were automated rather than having
>>> to do it all manually in excel.

>> I use Microsoft Money myself and find it excellent (and it is not
>> expensive).  Most banks let you download statements from their online
>> banking and these go straight into Money.

>> I have been using it for several years to run a couple of club accounts
>> too and had no problems.

>> I am using Money 2002, and have heard some horror storys from people
>> upgrading to Money 2005 but I suspect that starting from scratch is
>> probably ok.

>> Regards,
>> Neil.

> I should point out that there are other alternatives - e.g. Quicken

> www.quicken.com

> I have no experience of this but have heard it is very good.

> Regards,
> Neil.

Personal finance software advice?

Post by Bob Peel, MV » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 06:10:23

Beware that using the US version is not supported in the UK. If you hit
trouble MS may well tell you to "go away"!

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

> message

>> With some bias ;-) it sounds like you need MS Money 2005. Provided
> Barclays
>> allow you to download files containing the two accounts details then you
> can
>> import into Money and analyse to your hearts content.

>> Two points a) Money is heavily regionalised so make sure you get a UK
>> version not US, b) a fellow MVP has a Money site you might want to browse
>> http://money.mvps.org/

>> Although there is a US Money 2006 the latest UK version is M2005.

>> Finally there is a NG aimed at UK users microsoft.public.uk.money.

> I am in the UK and using the US ver. 2006. For my credit card and other
> accounts I manually enter the information into the registers. But for my
> Barclays account I simply download the statements. With your account
> register in Money open, log into your online banking in the normal way
> with
> IE. Then there is a drop down box on the left that by default says
> "Customise My Site". Select "Export Data" and Go. Select your software
> package and then the account. Follow through and Money will automatically
> detect the download and integrate the transactions.

> Marcus

Personal finance software advice?

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Alan Fra » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:46:23

> I'm looking for some software that can connect regularly to both my
> current account and credit card account and download statements;
> archive them and allow me to assign categories to each transaction; ie:
> look back on a weeks spending and change a generic ATM WITHDRAWL entry
> to 'Money Spent on Beer', for a transaction on a friday night; just so
> I can analyse how much i'm spending on what...

FWIW, I use Quicken, and *intentionally* do manual reconciliation -
'downloading statements' seems to miss the point that I want to check
that that bank have got it right...

rgds, Alan
--
99 Ducati 748BP, 95 Ducati 600SS, 81 Guzzi Monza, 74 MV Agusta 350
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" SI# 7.067 DoD#1930 PGP Key 0xBDED56C5

Post by Neil Hampto » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:13:41

>> I'm looking for some software that can connect regularly to both my
>> current account and credit card account and download statements;
>> archive them and allow me to assign categories to each transaction; ie:
>> look back on a weeks spending and change a generic ATM WITHDRAWL entry
>> to 'Money Spent on Beer', for a transaction on a friday night; just so
>> I can analyse how much i'm spending on what...

> FWIW, I use Quicken, and *intentionally* do manual reconciliation -
> 'downloading statements' seems to miss the point that I want to check
> that that bank have got it right...

> rgds, Alan

True, but I enter my transactions manually over the month, then when the
statement is downloaded in Money, it matches the transactions up and
allows you to accept or change each individual transaction.  This makes
it much easier to do a reconciliation (and points out the transactions
that have no manual match!).

Regards,
Neil

Personal finance software advice?

Post by Mark » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:41:49

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:32:40 +1300, Neil Hampton

>I use Microsoft Money myself and find it excellent (and it is not
>expensive).  Most banks let you download statements from their online
>banking and these go straight into Money.

>I have been using it for several years to run a couple of club accounts
>too and had no problems.

>I am using Money 2002, and have heard some horror storys from people
>upgrading to Money 2005 but I suspect that starting from scratch is
>probably ok.

I used to use Money 2003 and I found it useless.  It has so many bugs
that you have to spend so much time trying to find ways around them.

It always screws up your budget, regularly corrupts your data so you
have to start from scratch and randomly loses transactions.

My advice would be to use a pen and paper - it's much quicker.

Mark

Personal finance software advice?

Post by arthu » Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:23:30

In the States, Quicken and MS Money are the defacto personal money
management for PC's.  Both are good with minor differences.  Quicken
does not (did not) download Stock Option prices which might be
meaningless to you.  Examine both.  Check UK versions.  Make sure your
choice works as you want with your institutions. ie Do you want to
automatically update from within the application or from the bank's
site/software, or both?

Hint:
If you can print your Barclay online statements then you can create PC
.PDF files using CutePdf -- a must have free program.

cheers
arthur
==

Quote:>Hi,