Backing up Money 2003 files

Post by Linda Gillma » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:54:48

Has anyone out there figured out how to backup Money 2003
files to a CD/RW rather than on to flopies?

The "options" bar doesn't seem to offer that option - any
ideas?

Backing up Money 2003 files

Post by Dick Watso » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:40:19

This is beaten to death every several days in the NG. It is frequently
easier to read the posts than post again.

The FAQ:
---
Q): How do I backup to CD-RW? CD-R?

A): First, remember that a CD-R or CD-RW is not a general purpose random
access storage device and needs software (like DirectCD from Easy CD
(Coaster) Creator by Roxio) to begin to pretend to be. (That having been
said, the poor reliability many people experience with packet writing
software in general and DirectCD in specific suggests it is a very poor
choice for backing up critical data like your Money file. At less than a
dime per media in quantities of 100, burning a CD-R with a copy of your
Money data file seems like a better choice.)

Like any file, your .MNY data file can be stored on writable optical media
the same way you put other files on them. For instance, if you use WinXP,
you can backup to the hard disk mirror created by WinXP and then burn a CD
after you've exited Money. If you like Nero, go ahead and burn a CD with
your Money data file and don't drag Money into the problem at all. Etc.

Second, don't expect the "backup to floppy" choice to offer up your
writeable CD. Is the writeable CD a floppy? No, it is not. Why would Money
think it is?

When a WinXP follow-on product supports the Mt. Rainier technology, and when
you have hardware that also supports Mt. Rainier, then maybe Money will be a
little more savvy about writable CDs.

Read the referenced MSKB for information about using the backup methods in
Money to backup to writeable CDs.

Reference courtesy of Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money