BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by Martin Donker » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

Can anyone verify if this is a general Money98 bug or just something on my
system??

I have a few investment accounts marked as 'closed'.

When I try running the Net Worth over Time report, these closed accounts
either do not show at all, or simply show a sharp spike (from zero, to the
amount invested, and back to zero) on the date the original investment was
made?  By unmarking the accounts as closed, the graph appears normal again.

Customizations....

Window 1
-Line chart
-Only amounts for investment accounts

Window 2 (more options)
-Show balances by months
-All dates
-Accounts: No Accounts
-Loan Accounts: No Loans
-Investment Accounts: (Select a few 'open' and 'closed' accounts for
comparison)
-Level of detail: Accounts

Try it!  Let me know??  I can't seem to find anything on this in the KB??

--
Regards,
 Martin Donkers

--
--  Sorry, I cannot handle the junk mail any longer!!
--  If you try to 'reply' to this message via email,

BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by Joe Norto » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I get the same thing with Closed Accounts.  I end up leaving them open, as
you do.

--

Joe Norton
Ringwood, NJ

>Hi all,

>Can anyone verify if this is a general Money98 bug or just something on my
>system??

>I have a few investment accounts marked as 'closed'.

>When I try running the Net Worth over Time report, these closed accounts
>either do not show at all, or simply show a sharp spike (from zero, to the
>amount invested, and back to zero) on the date the original investment was
>made?  By unmarking the accounts as closed, the graph appears normal again.

>Customizations....

>Window 1
>-Line chart
>-Only amounts for investment accounts

>Window 2 (more options)
>-Show balances by months
>-All dates
>-Accounts: No Accounts
>-Loan Accounts: No Loans
>-Investment Accounts: (Select a few 'open' and 'closed' accounts for
>comparison)
>-Level of detail: Accounts

>Try it!  Let me know??  I can't seem to find anything on this in the KB??

>--
>Regards,
> Martin Donkers

>--
>--  Sorry, I cannot handle the junk mail any longer!!
>--  If you try to 'reply' to this message via email,
>--  remove the words NO & JUNK from my email address,
>--  or use my actual email address below.
>--

>--

BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by JOHN FORA » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I can't verify if there is an actual bug or not, but I had a problem with
the Net Worth Over Time report too.

I set up an investment account with an associated cash account.  All of the
money associated with this account was in the associated cash account since
I have not invested yet.  The Net Worth Over Time report did not recognize
the value in this account until I entered a transaction into the Investment
portion of the account.

Good Luck,

John Foran

BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by dave » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a few investment accounts marked as 'closed'.

>When I try running the Net Worth over Time report, these closed accounts
>either do not show at all,

yup, 'closed' accounts disappear from the reports - solution is to leave
them open.

--
dave d.

     Achilles Heel Magazine  : <http://www.stejonda.demon.co.uk/achilles/>

BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by Porter Humphre » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Martin,

Unless there is a flaw peculiar to investment accounts, I can't see that
the open or closed status of an account makes any difference. I have
several closed accounts - real estate that I've sold, the associated
loan, bank and credit card accounts - which I include in my report.
Unclosing them changes nothing whatever.
--
Porter Humphrey.

> Hi all,

> Can anyone verify if this is a general Money98 bug or just something on my
> system??

> I have a few investment accounts marked as 'closed'.

> When I try running the Net Worth over Time report, these closed accounts
> either do not show at all, or simply show a sharp spike (from zero, to the
> amount invested, and back to zero) on the date the original investment was
> made?  By unmarking the accounts as closed, the graph appears normal again.

> Customizations....

> Window 1
> -Line chart
> -Only amounts for investment accounts

> Window 2 (more options)
> -Show balances by months
> -All dates
> -Accounts: No Accounts
> -Loan Accounts: No Loans
> -Investment Accounts: (Select a few 'open' and 'closed' accounts for
> comparison)
> -Level of detail: Accounts

> Try it!  Let me know??  I can't seem to find anything on this in the KB??

BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by Martin Donker » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Thanks to Joe & John for their confirmations.

Porter Humphrey wrote ...

Quote:>Unless there is a flaw peculiar to investment accounts, I can't see that
>the open or closed status of an account makes any difference

No, it _shouldn't_ make a difference, but it does.  This only seems to
affect investment accounts (and possibly only those with associated cash
accounts??), not other asset accounts (as you have found out).  Try
'closing' an investment account (not the associated cash account) and
running the report.  Whether the associated cash account is 'open' or
'closed' has no affect on the report.  I've contacted tech support with
regards to this, and they are currently looking in to it.  Thanks again.

Regards,
 Martin Donkers

--
--  Sorry, I cannot handle the junk mail any longer!!
--  If you try to 'reply' to this message via email,
--  remove the words NO & JUNK from my email address,
--  or use my actual email address below.

BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by Porter Humphre » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Martin,

Right. If I close an investment account, the results begin to vary after
a certain date. I'm glad you've brought this to the attention of tech
support. It does appear that we have yet another bug in this bug-rich
version of Money.
--
Porter Humphrey.

> Thanks to Joe & John for their confirmations.

> Porter Humphrey wrote ...

> >Unless there is a flaw peculiar to investment accounts, I can't see that
> >the open or closed status of an account makes any difference

> No, it _shouldn't_ make a difference, but it does.  This only seems to
> affect investment accounts (and possibly only those with associated cash
> accounts??), not other asset accounts (as you have found out).  Try
> 'closing' an investment account (not the associated cash account) and
> running the report.  Whether the associated cash account is 'open' or
> 'closed' has no affect on the report.  I've contacted tech support with
> regards to this, and they are currently looking in to it.  Thanks again.

> Regards,
>  Martin Donkers

BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by Martin Donker » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Porter Humphrey wrote ...

Quote:>Right. If I close an investment account, the results begin to vary after
>a certain date. I'm glad you've brought this to the attention of tech
>support. It does appear that we have yet another bug in this bug-rich
>version of Money.

Actually, Porter, Kimberley may want to report this to her US tech support
contact,as I have only reported it to the CDN tech division, although it
seems to be a universal problem.

RE: "bug-rich version"

Yeah, that's a kind of sad one...
One of the many reasons I switched from Quicken to Money was the fact of how
Money (prior to Money98) was never patched or upgraded to fix errors or
shortcomings within the program.  Prior to Money98, ALL patches were for
changes to the online functionality of Money.  To date Money98, has at least
5 out of the 8 downloadable files (at  /Support Downloads/Personal
Finance/Money/98/)  which fix program errors or shortcomings.   :-(

Regards,
 Martin Donkers

--
--  Sorry, I cannot handle the junk mail any longer!!
--  If you try to 'reply' to this message via email,
--  remove the words NO & JUNK from my email address,
--  or use my actual email address below.

BUG?? Net Worth over Time report

Post by David Seymou » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Yes I too got this exact same bug as you have described and had to resort to
"opening" the accounts concerned to make the report appear sensible.

>Hi all,

>Can anyone verify if this is a general Money98 bug or just something on my
>system??

>I have a few investment accounts marked as 'closed'.

>When I try running the Net Worth over Time report, these closed accounts
>either do not show at all, or simply show a sharp spike (from zero, to the
>amount invested, and back to zero) on the date the original investment was
>made?  By unmarking the accounts as closed, the graph appears normal again.

>Customizations....

>Window 1
>-Line chart
>-Only amounts for investment accounts

>Window 2 (more options)
>-Show balances by months
>-All dates
>-Accounts: No Accounts
>-Loan Accounts: No Loans
>-Investment Accounts: (Select a few 'open' and 'closed' accounts for
>comparison)
>-Level of detail: Accounts

>Try it!  Let me know??  I can't seem to find anything on this in the KB??

>--
>Regards,
> Martin Donkers

>--
>--  Sorry, I cannot handle the junk mail any longer!!
>--  If you try to 'reply' to this message via email,
>--  remove the words NO & JUNK from my email address,
>--  or use my actual email address below.
>--

>--

1. Bug in Net Worth Over Time Report?

The graph and report for the Net Worth Over Time Report for my
finances showed sharp variances in my net worth for each month for the
12 month period displayed. I found that investments were not included
in the net worth in some months if the investment was subsequently
closed. I customized the report and shortened the date range to 7
months or less and those same amounts for the months missing in the 12
month period were now properly included. I am now wondering how
accurate any of the other reports might be.
In the interim I have reopened all my closed investment accounts to
address this problem.
I have found problems and inconsistencies in other areas of the
Money98 program and will cite them as I understand them better. I
cannot believe Microsoft released this product with so many problems.
Don't try to contact the Microsoft team by phone because Money98 is
not on their displays yet and you will be left hanging on the phone at
your expense.

2. GIF conversion programs

3. Net Worth on Monthly Report vs. Net Worth Report

4. e4500 question

5. BUG? Net Worth Over Time - Closed Accounts

6. Microstation Macro?

7. Money98: Bug: Net worth over time

8. Need Service on a Panasonic 616 Easa Phone System

9. Money 2004 - Net Worth over Time report not loading

10. Net Worth Over Time Report doesn't show bar chart

11. Net Worth Report over time incorrect

12. The "Net Worth over Time" Report

13. net worth over time report (past years data)