Restoring backup from different Passport

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Andre » Fri, 05 May 2006 00:56:04



While my old computer was dying, I backed up the old Money file (2004) to CD.
 I got a new computer, downloaded, and was charged for, 2006 Standard.  I was
able to restore the backup, but I keep getting the opening message that I
have the Web Trial version, which will expire in 90 days.  I've worked with
Support document KB889930, and nothing's worked short of removing and
reinstalling the program.  I'd like to avoid doing that on my own (KB895866);
it involves going into Windows Registry, which I hear shouldn't be done
without good knowledge.

I think the problem is that I gave my currently active Hotmail address for
my Passport at the time of download, but the restored file showed my old
address, which had lapsed.  (I need to login to Money with the old address.)
Can I reconcile these?  I have reinstated the old Hotmail address, if that
helps.  I'd like to be fully established with 2006 Standard, which I've paid
for, without the Trial version message.

 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by johnb.. » Fri, 05 May 2006 01:12:59


Andrew,

See:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp

Regards,
JB


> While my old computer was dying, I backed up the old Money file (2004) to CD.
>  I got a new computer, downloaded, and was charged for, 2006 Standard.  I was
> able to restore the backup, but I keep getting the opening message that I
> have the Web Trial version, which will expire in 90 days.  I've worked with
> Support document KB889930, and nothing's worked short of removing and
> reinstalling the program.  I'd like to avoid doing that on my own (KB895866);
> it involves going into Windows Registry, which I hear shouldn't be done
> without good knowledge.

> I think the problem is that I gave my currently active Hotmail address for
> my Passport at the time of download, but the restored file showed my old
> address, which had lapsed.  (I need to login to Money with the old address.)
> Can I reconcile these?  I have reinstated the old Hotmail address, if that
> helps.  I'd like to be fully established with 2006 Standard, which I've paid
> for, without the Trial version message.


 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Fri, 05 May 2006 01:12:21



>While my old computer was dying, I backed up the old Money file (2004) to CD.
> I got a new computer, downloaded, and was charged for, 2006 Standard.  I was
>able to restore the backup, but I keep getting the opening message that I
>have the Web Trial version, which will expire in 90 days.

First, there is a temporary problem. The first status item at
http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp discusses it.
So after the status message gives the all-clear, try this:

When Money uses a file with the same Passport that you used when you
bought Money, it will download the appropriate things and adjust
the version that you see in Help->About....

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889930
and follow it if you want your Money file to use the same Passport
on your Money file that you used when you bought Money.

If you want something other than to do that, do something slightly
different.  Create a NEW empty file (named perhaps Temp.mny) that
you put the referenced Passport onto.  Let Money download data that
it needs.  Close Money.  Restart Money.

Confirm that Money shows the right version.  Then click on your
real Money file that is shown on the bottom of the File menu.

Quote:>  I've worked with
>Support document KB889930, and nothing's worked short of removing and
>reinstalling the program.  I'd like to avoid doing that on my own (KB895866);
>it involves going into Windows Registry, which I hear shouldn't be done
>without good knowledge.

>I think the problem is that I gave my currently active Hotmail address for
>my Passport at the time of download, but the restored file showed my old
>address, which had lapsed.  (I need to login to Money with the old address.)
>Can I reconcile these?  I have reinstated the old Hotmail address, if that
>helps.  I'd like to be fully established with 2006 Standard, which I've paid
>for, without the Trial version message.

See if this helps also.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324001&Produc...
How to change your .NET Passport sign-in e-mail address

Also, review your backup policy, and make an extra set of backups on
different media while you are thinking about it.

 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Andre » Fri, 05 May 2006 13:04:03


Thanks, I'm not sure what I haven't already tried; I'll ask one step at a time.


> First, there is a temporary problem. The first status item at
> http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp discusses it.

It says "Resolved" now, and I can "attempt to finish the download again."  
There's one link in the box saying I have a trial version when I open Money,
and it's just for an upgrade from Standard to Deluxe.  So how do I get
Standard working properly without being charged for another download?  If I
get this working properly, is it an issue that the new download and the
restored backup show different Passport addresses?

I'll skip over the other steps for now; I've tried most of them but I'll see
about it if needed.

Quote:> See if this helps also.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324001&Produc...
> How to change your .NET Passport sign-in e-mail address

Do I understand that it can't be a switch between two Hotmail addresses?  I
should make clear that Money doesn't recognize a login with the new address
used for purchase, only the old address that went with my old file.
 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Fri, 05 May 2006 13:18:16



>Thanks, I'm not sure what I haven't already tried; I'll ask one step at a time.


>> First, there is a temporary problem. The first status item at
>> http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp discusses it.

>It says "Resolved" now, and I can "attempt to finish the download again."  
>There's one link in the box saying I have a trial version when I open Money,
>and it's just for an upgrade from Standard to Deluxe.  So how do I get
>Standard working properly without being charged for another download?

I suggest you File->Create a new file called "temp", on which you
put the same Passport you used when you bought the upgrade.

Let Money download data that it needs.  Close Money.  Restart Money.

Confirm that Money shows the right version.  Then click on your
real Money file that is shown on the bottom of the File menu.

 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Andre » Sat, 06 May 2006 07:48:01


"> I suggest you File->Create a new file called "temp", on which you

Quote:> put the same Passport you used when you bought the upgrade.

> Let Money download data that it needs.  Close Money.  Restart Money.

> Confirm that Money shows the right version.  Then click on your
> real Money file that is shown on the bottom of the File menu.

Thank you.  I've done this but it isn't working yet.  I started the "Test"
file, got a "Thank you for your purchase" box, and a message that I could
work while it was downloading stuff.  There was also a "Trial version" box; I
clicked "Remind me later" and couldn't tell if anything was being downloaded.
 When I closed and wanted to re-enter with the true file (after switching
files while Money was open), I got the Trial box; I get that whichever file I
want to open.  Other information:  files I name with <new address used for
purchase> have data, because I initially had trouble restoring the backup, so
I downloaded recent transactions from account sites.  As I move between these
files, I'm postponing the backup, because there's nothing really new.  I see
that on Money's Password Manager, I can change the Passport account, but I
don't know if there's risk in that.  Sorry I'm not getting this, but I
appreciate any help.
 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Sat, 06 May 2006 07:59:18



>"> I suggest you File->Create a new file called "temp", on which you
>> put the same Passport you used when you bought the upgrade.

>> Let Money download data that it needs.  Close Money.  Restart Money.

>> Confirm that Money shows the right version.  Then click on your
>> real Money file that is shown on the bottom of the File menu.

>Thank you.  I've done this but it isn't working yet.  I started the "Test"
>file, got a "Thank you for your purchase" box, and a message that I could
>work while it was downloading stuff.  There was also a "Trial version" box; I
>clicked "Remind me later" and couldn't tell if anything was being downloaded.

I would stick with the "Test" file for now. Let it sit for an hour
maybe. Close and open. See if the version is correct. If not,
consider your software firewall and virus checker. If you are
connecting thru a NAT router, and if your OS updates are up to date,
I would disable both, and see if that lets things progress. If you
are running Norton, I would uninstall that. Then
re-enable/re-install after you are successful.

Quote:> When I closed and wanted to re-enter with the true file (after switching
>files while Money was open), I got the Trial box; I get that whichever file I
>want to open.  Other information:  files I name with <new address used for
>purchase> have data, because I initially had trouble restoring the backup, so
>I downloaded recent transactions from account sites.  As I move between these
>files, I'm postponing the backup, because there's nothing really new.  I see
>that on Money's Password Manager, I can change the Passport account, but I
>don't know if there's risk in that.

I would hold off on that for now.
Quote:>  Sorry I'm not getting this, but I
>appreciate any help.

 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Sat, 06 May 2006 08:01:50



>Thank you.  I've done this but it isn't working yet.  I started the "Test"
>file, got a "Thank you for your purchase" box, and a message that I could
>work while it was downloading stuff.  There was also a "Trial version" box; I
>clicked "Remind me later" and couldn't tell if anything was being downloaded.

A couple more things I would try first:

In IE6, start with
Tools->Options->Security->LocalIntranet->DefaultLevel which may be
sufficient.

If that does not let you updated, and if you are using XP, I would
try creating a new user with Administrator privilege.  Switch to
that user and start Money with a new blank file (perhaps test2) with
that same Passport you used to purchase the upgrade.  Let Money
download the updates as that user.

The theory is that if the problem is an IE6 setting, you will get
default settings for the new user.  If you succeed this way, it
would accomplish the download, and it would point toward the reason
the other did not work.  You can delete the new user later, and
your regular IE6 settings will not have been changed.

 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Andre » Sat, 06 May 2006 13:20:01


Thanks, Cal.  It looks like giving it an hour was all I needed to do.  As I
started to look at your other solutions, I opened Money and it came up
Standard, no Trial message, with the right Money file.  

While I'm in this discussion, I'll ask:  I've usually worked with Money
offline.  The login is for a Hotmail account that I've reinstated but I may
well let lapse.   Would I be advised to change my Passport account through
Passport Manager to an account that will stay active, to help with future
upgrades, or does it risk causing problems?  I appreciate the help.

 
 
 

Restoring backup from different Passport

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Sat, 06 May 2006 14:21:09



>Thanks, Cal.  It looks like giving it an hour was all I needed to do.  As I
>started to look at your other solutions, I opened Money and it came up
>Standard, no Trial message, with the right Money file.  

>While I'm in this discussion, I'll ask:  I've usually worked with Money
>offline.  The login is for a Hotmail account that I've reinstated but I may
>well let lapse.   Would I be advised to change my Passport account through
>Passport Manager to an account that will stay active, to help with future
>upgrades, or does it risk causing problems?

I think that you can do it either way, but I would tend to use the
one on your Money file that would be less likely to be compromised.
If none of your financial institution downloads require a Passport,
you could even remove the Passport.
Quote:> I appreciate the help.