Auto categorizing transactions...

Post by vasya1 » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:01:55

Hi,
Im using Money 2003 Standard. I want to know how to let
MSMoney auto categorize my transactions?

For eg, after Money2003 reads my statements from Bank X,
I want it categorize automatically based on the itemized
description of the statement. For eg, "Stop and Shop"
should be automatically categorized into Food: Groceries.

How and where do I defined such rules?

Any help appreciated!!!

1. Using Money 2004 and auto categorizing downloaded transactions???

I received Money 2004 on a new laptop that I bought.

All I want to do with it is download all my account transactions from Bank of
America, pull them into Money, and have everything autocategorize based on the
name so I can easily see 'where the money goes' , ie mortgage, bills,
entertainment, etc.

I can't see any easy way to do this.

I can download and import data fine from BOA.  The problem is that each
transaction has a date encoded in the payee such as LOWES 0212 or LOWES 0215 so
that EVERY TRANSACTION to the same payee is treated as a different payee.

I found some rudimentary filtering in the payee rules dialog, but it is very
weak in that it cannot filter numeric data, only specific strings.  If it had
regular expression exclusions, for example, I could easily create a regexp to
remove any sequence of 4 digits surrounded by space...

So here are the problems:

1) Money doesn't seem to have a facility to autocategorize based on payee name.
I should be able to set a default category for each payee in the payee details
screen (for example, DIRECTTV is assigned Bills:Cable/Satellite ), and apply
that to ALL transactions to the payee.

2) Why the heck can't I select more than one transaction to assign a category?
for example, if I could CTRL-click to select ALL of the transactions to
DIRECTTV, I could assign the Bills:Cable/Satellite category to all of them in
one shot, but NO I can't do this.

3) I can't see all of the transactions to the same payee anyway because of the
date string problem!  Double clicking on DIRECTV 0210 just shows that one
payment, and not all DIRECTTV payments.

If I am totally missing the boat here then please let me know.  But I could not
figure out a way to solve any of the above problems.

Can anyone recommend a different product that actually has some decent filtering
capability, and works the way it should with online account data?

2. MESS Tandy 1000 emulation

3. auto categorize existing transactions.

4. cases

5. Auto categorise

6. orange website

7. AUTO CATEGORIZE

8. REQ: 18th cent full ligatures

9. Auto-Categorize

10. Training MS Money 2006 to categorize transactions

11. Loan Adjustment Transactions not categorizing

12. Categorizing downloaded transactions

13. Categorizing the same transaction