Monthly averages?

Post by Howi » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Is there any way to produce a report that displays monthly averages for
all expenditures?  I can get a month-by-month breakdown, but I can't find
anywhere to convert those numbers into averages by month.

Thanks,

Howie

--

"Opinions vary."
--Dalton, Road House

Monthly averages?

Post by David K Deter » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Howie,

I don't think I've ever found one in any version of Money.  But, you could
use the auto-budget feature to generate a budget and that should give you
the monthly averages you are looking for.  I remember doing that to set up
my first annual budget and I redo it periodically if I think my spending
habits have changed a lot.  I don't remember exactly how to, but I believe
Help should provide enough instructions to get you started.

If you don't want to mess up your current budget, I suggest you copy your
current files in another folder or something and then copy them back when
you are finished playing around.  I find it just as easy to go into Windows
Explorer and make a copy of my current "Our Money.mny" file and then rename
to use for testing, etc.

Of course, the other alternative is to print a summary of your transactions
for the year and divide the totals for each category by 12 using the
calculator.  It can be a bit tedious if you have a lot of categories, but
it's the only sure way to leave you current files intact if you aren't
comfortable with copying and renaming, etc.

--
Cheers, Dave

USAF Retired Gone Postal!

GO Braves!!  GO Packers!!

Quote:>Is there any way to produce a report that displays monthly averages for
>all expenditures?  I can get a month-by-month breakdown, but I can't find
>anywhere to convert those numbers into averages by month.

>Thanks,

>Howie

>--

>"Opinions vary."
>--Dalton, Road House
>-------------------------

Monthly averages?

Post by Howi » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

----->Howie,
----->
----->--
----->Cheers, Dave
----->
----->USAF Retired Gone Postal!

----->GO Braves!!  GO Packers!!
----->

----->>Is there any way to produce a report that displays monthly averages for
----->>all expenditures?  I can get a month-by-month breakdown, but I can't find
----->>anywhere to convert those numbers into averages by month.
----->>
----->>Thanks,
----->>
----->>Howie
----->>
----->>--
----->>
----->>"Opinions vary."
----->>--Dalton, Road House
----->>-------------------------
----->
----->
----->

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.  I can't believe something so elementary as this
wasn't included in the program.  Especially with so many other types of
reports, etc. that for most people go unused.  Perhaps Money00 might
include this report.

Howie
--

"Opinions vary."
--Dalton, Road House

Monthly averages?

Post by Bruce Chastai » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Howie,

Quote:>Thanks for the feedback.  I can't believe something so elementary as this
>wasn't included in the program.  Especially with so many other types of
>reports, etc. that for most people go unused.  Perhaps Money00 might
>include this report.

Also keep in mind that if you're displaying a report in chart format, say
household purchases over time, months (or the selected time period) which
don't have any transactions in them, won't be displayed at all.  So the
horizontal scale of a chart might be Jan, March, July, etc.  That makes it
virtually impossible to get a "visual average" from what you see.

Bruce.

Monthly averages?

Post by David K Deter » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I suppose there might also be a way to get the data into a spreadsheet and
do the math there, but I don't know how and don't have the need......

--
Cheers, Dave

USAF Retired Gone Postal!

GO Braves!!  GO Packers!!

> [...]

find
>----->>anywhere to convert those numbers into averages by month.
>----->>
>----->>Thanks,
>----->>
>----->>Howie
>----->>
>----->>--
>----->>
>----->>"Opinions vary."
>----->>--Dalton, Road House
>----->>-------------------------
>----->
>----->
>----->

>Dave,

>Thanks for the feedback.  I can't believe something so elementary as this
>wasn't included in the program.  Especially with so many other types of
>reports, etc. that for most people go unused.  Perhaps Money00 might

Monthly averages?

Post by Darry » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

David,
How does one print a summary for a year? The only report options I've seen
are monthly. Is there a way to print a years worth (totals)? or better yet,
is there a way of selecting a period ie: quaterly? or a specific selection
of months or date range?? I'm using Money98.

Thanks
Darryl

>Howie,

>I don't think I've ever found one in any version of Money.  But, you could
>use the auto-budget feature to generate a budget and that should give you
>the monthly averages you are looking for.  I remember doing that to set up
>my first annual budget and I redo it periodically if I think my spending
>habits have changed a lot.  I don't remember exactly how to, but I believe
>Help should provide enough instructions to get you started.

>If you don't want to mess up your current budget, I suggest you copy your
>current files in another folder or something and then copy them back when
>you are finished playing around.  I find it just as easy to go into Windows
>Explorer and make a copy of my current "Our Money.mny" file and then rename
>to use for testing, etc.

>Of course, the other alternative is to print a summary of your transactions
>for the year and divide the totals for each category by 12 using the
>calculator.  It can be a bit tedious if you have a lot of categories, but
>it's the only sure way to leave you current files intact if you aren't
>comfortable with copying and renaming, etc.

>--
>Cheers, Dave

>USAF Retired Gone Postal!

>GO Braves!!  GO Packers!!

>>Is there any way to produce a report that displays monthly averages for
>>all expenditures?  I can get a month-by-month breakdown, but I can't find
>>anywhere to convert those numbers into averages by month.

>>Thanks,

>>Howie

>>--

>>"Opinions vary."
>>--Dalton, Road House
>>-------------------------

Monthly averages?

Post by Mike » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

at the bottom of the report screen, click "customize", then change the date
period to anything you want.  You'll kick yourself!

>David,
>How does one print a summary for a year? The only report options I've seen
>are monthly. Is there a way to print a years worth (totals)? or better yet,
>is there a way of selecting a period ie: quaterly? or a specific selection
>of months or date range?? I'm using Money98.

>Thanks
>Darryl

>>Howie,

>>I don't think I've ever found one in any version of Money.  But, you could
>>use the auto-budget feature to generate a budget and that should give you
>>the monthly averages you are looking for.  I remember doing that to set up
>>my first annual budget and I redo it periodically if I think my spending
>>habits have changed a lot.  I don't remember exactly how to, but I believe
>>Help should provide enough instructions to get you started.

>>If you don't want to mess up your current budget, I suggest you copy your
>>current files in another folder or something and then copy them back when
>>you are finished playing around.  I find it just as easy to go into
Windows
>>Explorer and make a copy of my current "Our Money.mny" file and then
rename
>>to use for testing, etc.

>>Of course, the other alternative is to print a summary of your
transactions
>>for the year and divide the totals for each category by 12 using the
>>calculator.  It can be a bit tedious if you have a lot of categories, but
>>it's the only sure way to leave you current files intact if you aren't
>>comfortable with copying and renaming, etc.

>>--
>>Cheers, Dave

>>USAF Retired Gone Postal!

>>GO Braves!!  GO Packers!!

>>>Is there any way to produce a report that displays monthly averages for
>>>all expenditures?  I can get a month-by-month breakdown, but I can't find
>>>anywhere to convert those numbers into averages by month.

>>>Thanks,

>>>Howie

>>>--

>>>"Opinions vary."
>>>--Dalton, Road House
>>>-------------------------

1. Can Money give a monthly average report?

        I want to be able to average catagories.  For example, I want to see
the average amount we spend on groceries per month, deriving the average from
data between 6/94 and 12/96.  Even better than that would be to see the
average amount we save per month!
        I can't figure out how to do that in Quicken 4, and if I upgrade it
will be to Money, so does Money, or Quicken for that matter, do my averaging
function?

Thanks,
    Wilson Callan

2. HP 4020i Questions

3. Need Report of Average Monthly Expenses

4. Program wanted - file/disk scrubber

5. average monthly data

6. EasyCD 5 Windows 2000 problems

7. Averaging monthly expenses

8. Looking for Licenses NW 3.12 or 3.2

9. Monthly expenditure averages in Money 2000?

10. Average Cost in Multi-Currency Investments Accounts

11. average cost basis for Mutual funds

12. "Spending average" on budget