Duplicate account - cannot delete

Duplicate account - cannot delete

Post by J. Delag » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:21:03



Hi,

I have an MBNA CC, and for some weird reason there are 2 "ghost" accounts
appearing as "MBNA CC #1" and "MBNA CC #2".  I have been incapable of
deleting those accounts.  Each time I delete them, they reappear once I
re-launch Money, or when I update my accounts.

MBNA doesn't support IE 7 and I've been unable to succesfuly connect to
them.  I tried twice, and those two attempts are probably the source of those
ghost accounts.  I know update the account manually.

Because I never succesfully established a connection, the MBNA account is
not listed under "Manage Online Services"...

Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can resolve it?  To be clear,
the only thing I want to do is delete those 2 ghost accounts.

Thanks,

JD

 
 
 

Duplicate account - cannot delete

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:17:57



Quote:

>I have an MBNA CC, and for some weird reason there are 2 "ghost" accounts
>appearing as "MBNA CC #1" and "MBNA CC #2".  I have been incapable of
>deleting those accounts.  Each time I delete them, they reappear once I
>re-launch Money, or when I update my accounts.

>MBNA doesn't support IE 7 and I've been unable to succesfuly connect to
>them.  I tried twice, and those two attempts are probably the source of those
>ghost accounts.  I know update the account manually.

I would review your backup situation, and keep a backup that
pre-dates the IE7 beta trials.

Quote:>Because I never succesfully established a connection, the MBNA account is
>not listed under "Manage Online Services"...

"Manage Online Services" does not list accounts. It lists financial
institutions. If you have MBNA listed there, I would select it, and
then StopUsingOnlineService for that institution. Then try to delete
the unwanted accounts. Perhaps you can blank out the financial
institution for the unwanted accounts in the account settings.

Still can't delete? I would then try
File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.
If you still cannot delete the accounts, make another backup, try
File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.

Quote:

>Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can resolve it?  To be clear,
>the only thing I want to do is delete those 2 ghost accounts.


 
 
 

Duplicate account - cannot delete

Post by J. Delag » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:05:02



> I would review your backup situation, and keep a backup that
> pre-dates the IE7 beta trials.

I don't think I have one - I only recently started using Money and the
back-up function.

Quote:> "Manage Online Services" does not list accounts. It lists financial
> institutions. If you have MBNA listed there, I would select it, and
> then StopUsingOnlineService for that institution.

Unfortunately, it never established a connection so isn't listed.

Quote:> Then try to delete
> the unwanted accounts. Perhaps you can blank out the financial
> institution for the unwanted accounts in the account settings.

Yes, I can hide them, but they're still there...

Quote:> Still can't delete? I would then try
> File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.
> If you still cannot delete the accounts, make another backup, try
> File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.

I suppose the above requires an older back-up, that I don't have.  Hmm...  
Maybe it's just something I need to learn to live with.
 
 
 

Duplicate account - cannot delete

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:37:56




>> I would review your backup situation, and keep a backup that
>> pre-dates the IE7 beta trials.

>I don't think I have one - I only recently started using Money and the
>back-up function.

>> "Manage Online Services" does not list accounts. It lists financial
>> institutions. If you have MBNA listed there, I would select it, and
>> then StopUsingOnlineService for that institution.

>Unfortunately, it never established a connection so isn't listed.

>> Then try to delete
>> the unwanted accounts. Perhaps you can blank out the financial
>> institution for the unwanted accounts in the account settings.

>Yes, I can hide them, but they're still there...

>> Still can't delete? I would then try
>> File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.
>> If you still cannot delete the accounts, make another backup, try
>> File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.

>I suppose the above requires an older back-up, that I don't have.  Hmm...  
>Maybe it's just something I need to learn to live with.

Money 2006 makes multiple backups by default onto the hard drive.
The quantity is 4. I like to increase that substantially, since I
have a big mostly-empty hard drive.

In M06: Tools->Settings->BackupOptions
I suggest checking
 x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
  Save in [a place on your hard drive ]
   x Ask me before backing up each time*
   x Compress Backup Files
   Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Regarding the File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair, etc
suggestions, the newer versions have those:
 Click File in the upper left.
 Select "Repair Money File".
 Then select Quick File Repair, and so forth.

 
 
 

Duplicate account - cannot delete

Post by J. Delag » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:53:02



> I suggest checking
>  x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
>   Save in [a place on your hard drive ]
>    x Ask me before backing up each time*
>    x Compress Backup Files
>    Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

> Regarding the File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair, etc
> suggestions, the newer versions have those:
>  Click File in the upper left.
>  Select "Repair Money File".
>  Then select Quick File Repair, and so forth.

Yes, I did the Quick Repair thing but unfortunately it didn't work.
 
 
 

Duplicate account - cannot delete

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:11:12




>> I suggest checking
>>  x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
>>   Save in [a place on your hard drive ]
>>    x Ask me before backing up each time*
>>    x Compress Backup Files
>>    Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

>> Regarding the File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair, etc
>> suggestions, the newer versions have those:
>>  Click File in the upper left.
>>  Select "Repair Money File".
>>  Then select Quick File Repair, and so forth.

>Yes, I did the Quick Repair thing but unfortunately it didn't work.

By didn't work, I assume you mean that you were not able to delete
the unwanted accounts after doing the Quick Repair.

Did you try to blank out the financial institution for the unwanted
accounts in the account settings?

Did you try the StandardFileRepair level 2?

 
 
 

Duplicate account - cannot delete

Post by Cindy Conove » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:02:51


J.,

I had the same thing happen to me and the only way I could delete the
"Extra" Account was to do the following.
1. Go to Moneycentral and delete the account from there.
2. Open Money (click work off line)
3. Disable Online Services in Money
4. Delete the "Extra" account
5. Close Money and reopen
6. Turn Online Services back on
7. Cross your fingers.