Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by jebe » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 08:23:26

Have had Money programs for about 10 years.  Last Wednesday,  I was no
longer able to access the internet (Money was still functional).  Took
it to a computer service who had to restore the XP operating system
(apparently spyware, $70/yr to Norton and Webroot well freakin spent).
 Charged me $295 bucks.  Bring it home and the desktop looks like it
did when I bought it.  Here is what I did.

1.  Installed the Money 2005 standard (which came with computer) . Then
tried to open my data file.  Got the error message saying the file is
corrupted or not a Money data file.

2. Realized that I received 2005 deluxe as a gift right before I got
the computer.  Thinking this was the issue trying to install standard
and use deluxe files was the problem.  I ran the 2005 deluxe CD (did
not remove 2005 standard, just ran the Deluxe).

3). Same issues.  Tried using the repair tools  level 1, level 2.   I
would get prompted with "invalid database"   Also tried restoring
backup file with no luck.

4) Tried installing the Deluxe CD on different computer and copied data
file over.   Same Issues.

5) Ran salv.exe   "Invalid Database"   I was given the option to view
the log  and it said "No Broken records in the original file".

I need this file!!  Is there anything that can be done?    I will
gladly provide more info if needed.  Also, Do these money repair
programs available on the web work?

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Dick Watso » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 09:31:51

Given your other history, this may not be the cause: see
http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=177.

Quote:> Have had Money programs for about 10 years.  Last Wednesday,  I was no
> longer able to access the internet (Money was still functional).  Took
> it to a computer service who had to restore the XP operating system
> (apparently spyware, $70/yr to Norton and Webroot well freakin spent).
> Charged me $295 bucks.  Bring it home and the desktop looks like it
> did when I bought it.  Here is what I did.

> 1.  Installed the Money 2005 standard (which came with computer) . Then
> tried to open my data file.  Got the error message saying the file is
> corrupted or not a Money data file.

> 2. Realized that I received 2005 deluxe as a gift right before I got
> the computer.  Thinking this was the issue trying to install standard
> and use deluxe files was the problem.  I ran the 2005 deluxe CD (did
> not remove 2005 standard, just ran the Deluxe).

> 3). Same issues.  Tried using the repair tools  level 1, level 2.   I
> would get prompted with "invalid database"   Also tried restoring
> backup file with no luck.

> 4) Tried installing the Deluxe CD on different computer and copied data
> file over.   Same Issues.

> 5) Ran salv.exe   "Invalid Database"   I was given the option to view
> the log  and it said "No Broken records in the original file".

> I need this file!!  Is there anything that can be done?    I will
> gladly provide more info if needed.  Also, Do these money repair
> programs available on the web work?

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by jebe » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 09:53:33

Thanks for the suggestion.   Here's what I have since done:

1) Removed the program, reinstalled it
2) Tried to open the data file with no luck
3) downloaded the updates by starting a sample file (like the article
you suggested)
4)  tried to open the data file again with no luck (same errors).

Has anyone heard of this money recovery software on the net?  I am
almost getting that desperate.

> Given your other history, this may not be the cause: see
> http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=177.

> > Have had Money programs for about 10 years.  Last Wednesday,  I was no
> > longer able to access the internet (Money was still functional).  Took
> > it to a computer service who had to restore the XP operating system
> > (apparently spyware, $70/yr to Norton and Webroot well freakin spent).
> > Charged me $295 bucks.  Bring it home and the desktop looks like it
> > did when I bought it.  Here is what I did.

> > 1.  Installed the Money 2005 standard (which came with computer) . Then
> > tried to open my data file.  Got the error message saying the file is
> > corrupted or not a Money data file.

> > 2. Realized that I received 2005 deluxe as a gift right before I got
> > the computer.  Thinking this was the issue trying to install standard
> > and use deluxe files was the problem.  I ran the 2005 deluxe CD (did
> > not remove 2005 standard, just ran the Deluxe).

> > 3). Same issues.  Tried using the repair tools  level 1, level 2.   I
> > would get prompted with "invalid database"   Also tried restoring
> > backup file with no luck.

> > 4) Tried installing the Deluxe CD on different computer and copied data
> > file over.   Same Issues.

> > 5) Ran salv.exe   "Invalid Database"   I was given the option to view
> > the log  and it said "No Broken records in the original file".

> > I need this file!!  Is there anything that can be done?    I will
> > gladly provide more info if needed.  Also, Do these money repair
> > programs available on the web work?

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Dick Watso » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:16:49

Does Money now report Help|About|Version 14.?.?.1105???

Quote:> Thanks for the suggestion.   Here's what I have since done:

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:22:41

>I need this file!!  Is there anything that can be done?    I will
>gladly provide more info if needed.  Also, Do these money repair
>programs available on the web work?

That is a tough one. I am wondering how you came to have the
apparently corrupted Money file that you are dealing with. Did the
computer repairman copy the files that existed to an external drive,
format your drive, and copy files back?

Or did he put in a new hard drive and keep the old one?

In any case, I would do a Start->Search for "*.mny,*.mbf" files, in
case there is a backup or another Money file lurking on the drive.

Think about a CD you might have copied a backup to a while back.

How about a USB flash drive. Did you perhaps save a backup or copy
on one of those.

And regarding recovery programs, some can recover a file that has
been deleted. However it seems unlikely to succeed if the drive was
formatted.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by jebe » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:57:01

Thanks again for your interest in helping me.  Here is what the work
order from the computer repair service said:

"Reinstallation of OS was needed due to the corruption of the registry.
All data was backed and updates installed.  Norton AV 2003, Windows
defender and Ccleaner were installed updated and scanned.  These
programs need to be run once a week."

I am hoping and praying that   IF  the original data was backed, I
should be able to get it back to the original state.   Am I wrong here?
  Please let me know because I don't want to look like an uninformed
idiot when I go in there tomorrow wanting my original file back.

Also, I just had another thought.  When I installed Money, I signed up
for a passport. And Norton prompted me with a script it did not like...
Money\poof.js.  I blocked it because now I am paranoid about
everything.  Could these have anything to do with it?

> >I need this file!!  Is there anything that can be done?    I will
> >gladly provide more info if needed.  Also, Do these money repair
> >programs available on the web work?

> That is a tough one. I am wondering how you came to have the
> apparently corrupted Money file that you are dealing with. Did the
> computer repairman copy the files that existed to an external drive,
> format your drive, and copy files back?

> Or did he put in a new hard drive and keep the old one?

> In any case, I would do a Start->Search for "*.mny,*.mbf" files, in
> case there is a backup or another Money file lurking on the drive.

> Think about a CD you might have copied a backup to a while back.

> How about a USB flash drive. Did you perhaps save a backup or copy
> on one of those.

> And regarding recovery programs, some can recover a file that has
> been deleted. However it seems unlikely to succeed if the drive was
> formatted.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Cal Learner-- MV » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:22:28

One thing: when you reinstalled Money 2005, make sure the version is
14.0.*.1105. If it is not, open sample.mny in the install folder.
Money should download its updates. I don't think that is your main
problem here tho.

>Thanks again for your interest in helping me.  Here is what the work
>order from the computer repair service said:

>"Reinstallation of OS was needed due to the corruption of the registry.
>All data was backed and updates installed.  Norton AV 2003, Windows
>defender and Ccleaner were installed updated and scanned.  These
>programs need to be run once a week."

The thing that you will want to look into is the "All data was
backed" part. You will want to search those files for any *.mny or
*.mbf files. Also, while it is not ideal, also look for *.m12,
*.m11, *.m10 files too. If you find any of those, they may be
useful.

If you find any, make extra copies while you are thinking about it.
A USB flash drive is a nice place to copy those to, should you find
any.

Quote:

>I am hoping and praying that   IF  the original data was backed, I
>should be able to get it back to the original state.   Am I wrong here?
>  Please let me know because I don't want to look like an uninformed
>idiot when I go in there tomorrow wanting my original file back.

>Also, I just had another thought.  When I installed Money, I signed up
>for a passport. And Norton prompted me with a script it did not like...
>Money\poof.js.  I blocked it because now I am paranoid about
>everything.  Could these have anything to do with it?

You are referring to the recent re-install I think. Note that Money
does not actually require you to put a Passport on each Money file.

I know that you have already rethought your future backup plans.
Consider that the hard drive could have even crashed. Perhaps others
will be inspired by your problem. Let's hope that the outcome is
more positive tho.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Bob Peel, MV » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:31:04

It has been known for Norton to cause Money to fail.

This sometimes works. Uninstall Money; uninstall Norton (having disconnected
from the Internet); reinstall Money; connect to Internet; open sample.mny
file to upgrade to version 14.0.*.1105; reinstall Norton.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

> Thanks again for your interest in helping me.  Here is what the work
> order from the computer repair service said:

> "Reinstallation of OS was needed due to the corruption of the registry.
> All data was backed and updates installed.  Norton AV 2003, Windows
> defender and Ccleaner were installed updated and scanned.  These
> programs need to be run once a week."

> I am hoping and praying that   IF  the original data was backed, I
> should be able to get it back to the original state.   Am I wrong here?
>  Please let me know because I don't want to look like an uninformed
> idiot when I go in there tomorrow wanting my original file back.

> Also, I just had another thought.  When I installed Money, I signed up
> for a passport. And Norton prompted me with a script it did not like...
> Money\poof.js.  I blocked it because now I am paranoid about
> everything.  Could these have anything to do with it?

>> >I need this file!!  Is there anything that can be done?    I will
>> >gladly provide more info if needed.  Also, Do these money repair
>> >programs available on the web work?

>> That is a tough one. I am wondering how you came to have the
>> apparently corrupted Money file that you are dealing with. Did the
>> computer repairman copy the files that existed to an external drive,
>> format your drive, and copy files back?

>> Or did he put in a new hard drive and keep the old one?

>> In any case, I would do a Start->Search for "*.mny,*.mbf" files, in
>> case there is a backup or another Money file lurking on the drive.

>> Think about a CD you might have copied a backup to a while back.

>> How about a USB flash drive. Did you perhaps save a backup or copy
>> on one of those.

>> And regarding recovery programs, some can recover a file that has
>> been deleted. However it seems unlikely to succeed if the drive was
>> formatted.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Eric » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 18:28:00

Hello,

Wouldn't upgrading to 2006 help? Download the trial, try open the .mny file,
maybe you're lucky!

Bye,

Eric

> It has been known for Norton to cause Money to fail.

> This sometimes works. Uninstall Money; uninstall Norton (having
> disconnected from the Internet); reinstall Money; connect to Internet;
> open sample.mny file to upgrade to version 14.0.*.1105; reinstall Norton.

> --
> Regards
> Bob Peel,
> Microsoft MVP - Money

> For UK tips & fixes see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.

> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.

>> Thanks again for your interest in helping me.  Here is what the work
>> order from the computer repair service said:

>> "Reinstallation of OS was needed due to the corruption of the registry.
>> All data was backed and updates installed.  Norton AV 2003, Windows
>> defender and Ccleaner were installed updated and scanned.  These
>> programs need to be run once a week."

>> I am hoping and praying that   IF  the original data was backed, I
>> should be able to get it back to the original state.   Am I wrong here?
>>  Please let me know because I don't want to look like an uninformed
>> idiot when I go in there tomorrow wanting my original file back.

>> Also, I just had another thought.  When I installed Money, I signed up
>> for a passport. And Norton prompted me with a script it did not like...
>> Money\poof.js.  I blocked it because now I am paranoid about
>> everything.  Could these have anything to do with it?

>>> That is a tough one. I am wondering how you came to have the
>>> apparently corrupted Money file that you are dealing with. Did the
>>> computer repairman copy the files that existed to an external drive,
>>> format your drive, and copy files back?

>>> Or did he put in a new hard drive and keep the old one?

>>> In any case, I would do a Start->Search for "*.mny,*.mbf" files, in
>>> case there is a backup or another Money file lurking on the drive.

>>> Think about a CD you might have copied a backup to a while back.

>>> How about a USB flash drive. Did you perhaps save a backup or copy
>>> on one of those.

>>> And regarding recovery programs, some can recover a file that has
>>> been deleted. However it seems unlikely to succeed if the drive was
>>> formatted.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Bob Peel, MV » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:54:58

Although I haven't  heard of M2006 and Norton interacting adversely, I
wouldn't recommend spending hard earned cash unless the uninstall/reinstall
has been tried and fails.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

> Hello,

> Wouldn't upgrading to 2006 help? Download the trial, try open the .mny
> file, maybe you're lucky!

> Bye,

> Eric

>> It has been known for Norton to cause Money to fail.

>> This sometimes works. Uninstall Money; uninstall Norton (having
>> disconnected from the Internet); reinstall Money; connect to Internet;
>> open sample.mny file to upgrade to version 14.0.*.1105; reinstall Norton.

>> --
>> Regards
>> Bob Peel,
>> Microsoft MVP - Money

>> For UK tips & fixes see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.

>> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.

>>> Thanks again for your interest in helping me.  Here is what the work
>>> order from the computer repair service said:

>>> "Reinstallation of OS was needed due to the corruption of the registry.
>>> All data was backed and updates installed.  Norton AV 2003, Windows
>>> defender and Ccleaner were installed updated and scanned.  These
>>> programs need to be run once a week."

>>> I am hoping and praying that   IF  the original data was backed, I
>>> should be able to get it back to the original state.   Am I wrong here?
>>>  Please let me know because I don't want to look like an uninformed
>>> idiot when I go in there tomorrow wanting my original file back.

>>> Also, I just had another thought.  When I installed Money, I signed up
>>> for a passport. And Norton prompted me with a script it did not like...
>>> Money\poof.js.  I blocked it because now I am paranoid about
>>> everything.  Could these have anything to do with it?

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Dick Watso » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 23:10:44

I guess I'm also doubting the connection if the sample file works.

I'm still eager to hear Help|About version *.1105...

Quote:> Although I haven't  heard of M2006 and Norton interacting adversely, I
> wouldn't recommend spending hard earned cash unless the
> uninstall/reinstall has been tried and fails.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by jebe » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 03:27:01

Thanks again!! You  guys are great.  I have 3 more questions (again I
appreciate your time on this!!)

When you suggest uninstalling money, do you mean the Control Panel,
add/remove program route?

Since they installed the Norton at the computer service (and I have no
CD) , I am guessing I should hold off on this until they can do it on
Monday.   Right??

Is it reasonable to expect that since they said they cloned everything
on a drive before they started working on it,   I could get the
computer back to its original state (spyware and all) with the Money
data file still working??

> I guess I'm also doubting the connection if the sample file works.

> I'm still eager to hear Help|About version *.1105...

> > Although I haven't  heard of M2006 and Norton interacting adversely, I
> > wouldn't recommend spending hard earned cash unless the
> > uninstall/reinstall has been tried and fails.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Remove ABCD from Email address to repl » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 05:09:38

See below

Neil

Quote:> Thanks again!! You  guys are great.  I have 3 more questions (again I
> appreciate your time on this!!)

> When you suggest uninstalling money, do you mean the Control Panel,
> add/remove program route?

Yes

> Since they installed the Norton at the computer service (and I have no
> CD) , I am guessing I should hold off on this until they can do it on
> Monday.   Right??

Since they installed Norton and presumably have installed a licensed
version, it would not be unreasonable to expect to have a copy so you can
install/uninstall at your convenience.

Quote:

> Is it reasonable to expect that since they said they cloned everything
> on a drive before they started working on it,   I could get the
> computer back to its original state (spyware and all) with the Money
> data file still working??

Yes, but the format that they have the backup in may not be useable to you.
If they kept a copy of the backup prior to their fix, ask them to provide
you copy of the money file on a CD, DVD or thumb drive for your use.

>> I guess I'm also doubting the connection if the sample file works.

>> I'm still eager to hear Help|About version *.1105...

>> message

>> > Although I haven't  heard of M2006 and Norton interacting adversely, I
>> > wouldn't recommend spending hard earned cash unless the
>> > uninstall/reinstall has been tried and fails.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Eric » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:59:56

Hello Bob,

I meant trying the trial-version. It might open your file, make a M11 or
whatever version it was in, which can be opened with the Money version the
op has. (No dollars spent yet)

Bye,

Eric

> Although I haven't  heard of M2006 and Norton interacting adversely, I
> wouldn't recommend spending hard earned cash unless the
> uninstall/reinstall has been tried and fails.

> --
> Regards
> Bob Peel,
> Microsoft MVP - Money

> For UK tips & fixes see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.

> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.

>> Hello,

>> Wouldn't upgrading to 2006 help? Download the trial, try open the .mny
>> file, maybe you're lucky!

>> Bye,

>> Eric

>>> It has been known for Norton to cause Money to fail.

>>> This sometimes works. Uninstall Money; uninstall Norton (having
>>> disconnected from the Internet); reinstall Money; connect to Internet;
>>> open sample.mny file to upgrade to version 14.0.*.1105; reinstall
>>> Norton.

>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Bob Peel,
>>> Microsoft MVP - Money

>>> For UK tips & fixes see
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.

>>> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work

Post by Dick Watso » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:08:38

Where things get dicey is if it make a .M14.

Quote:> I meant trying the trial-version. It might open your file, make a M11 or
> whatever version it was in, which can be opened with the Money version the
> op has. (No dollars spent yet)

1. salv.exe .. Win2K ... corrupt Money 2002 file?

I recently upgraded from Win98 to Win2K.   I use Money 2002.  I have many
back-ups of my Money file.  Money 2002 once in a while now seems to hang
under Win2K.  I tried running salv.exe on my current Money file as well as
on several of the back-up files, including the earliest one I have and I get
"Invalid database" when I run salv.exe.  Does salv work under Win2K?  I
often run "salv" on my Money file just to check it and never had problems
with my file under Win98 ... so I have several checkpoints that salv has run
cleanly under Win98 .. but now seems to fail under Win2K.   Please, Please
Help.

I am using:
salv.exe  7/31/2001
j3salv.dll 7/31/2001
rsalv.dll 7/31/2001
are these the latest?

2. Which Apps work on P3???

3. is M04 salv different than M03 salv; If not M04 is corrupting M03 files

4. HELP!

5. msmoney.exe -s vs salv.exe

6. Any SQL database for Openstep NT?

7. best pracitice using money -s and salv.exe

8. ZX spectrum emulator on CPC

9. Should closed accounts be temporarily "opened" before running Salv.exe?

10. Salv.exe for Money2003

11. Money 2005 Standard edition, upgrade to deluxe did not work

12. Money 2005 Deluxe, MSN Money Sync and msmoney.exe process

13. MIS.EXE not loading Background Banking not working