Mutual funds merging with other mutual funds

Mutual funds merging with other mutual funds

Post by Rod » Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:59:40

In Money 2000 Deluxe, how do you record when a mutual fund
company combines with another mutual fund?  I had 200
shares of fund a, which was combined with fund b, and I
ended up with 300 shares of fund b.  However, there is no
exchange available in the investment options for mutual
funds.

Post by Cal Learner-- M » Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:28:39

>In Money 2000 Deluxe, how do you record when a mutual fund
>company combines with another mutual fund?  I had 200
>shares of fund a, which was combined with fund b, and I
>ended up with 300 shares of fund b.  However, there is no
>exchange available in the investment options for mutual
>funds.

1. Do a 3 for 2 split of X.
2. In the investment details, change the symbol of X to the symbol
for Y.
3. Change the investment name of X to Y.
4. Add a brief comment to the investment to explain the change.

If the ratio is not actually as simple as 3 for 2, post the actual
ratio.  I can easily find the best integers (1 ...  65535) to enter
for the split.

1. are cash mutual funds cash or mutual funds?

(This is kind of a "newbie" question)

The surplus funds in my account at Fidelity are invested in Fidelity Muni Mm
Trust, a mutual fund that pays tax-exempt dividends (oops,
OtherIncome:Tax-ExemptDividends, since tax-exempt dividends are impossible).

Actually, whether they are taxable or not, I've got the same problem.

Fidelity's online system seems to consider that I own "shares" in the
Fidelity Muni Mm Trust, and I do, except that I thought it would be more
convenient to treat these as Cash Transactions, just like I do in my other
investment account.  That is, rather than treating them like Investments
with Dividends, I just have a monthly "InvestmentIncome:Dividends"
transaction to add my earnings for the month.

How do people represent the funds they have in cash mutual funds?  As cash,
or mutual funds?  If you treat them as Cash, does this mean that you always
have to "correct" downloaded transactions so that they are Cash transactions
instead of Investment transactions?

Thanks!

--
Charles Gust
// To abolish HUNGER and POVERTY, email me - and vice versa.

2. XFS nonstandard inode names. Can I change?

3. Merge Mutual Funds

4. Temporary internet files

5. Mutual Fund Merge

6. Whining about HPS Times