Net Worth Over Time Report Problem

Post by Drew Nisbe » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I've encountered a problem with the Net Worth Over Time Report and wondered
if it is a known bug, or if something is amiss with my database.

I have two investment accounts, each of which have an associated cash
account. Both cash accounts were set up with initial balances on the
corresponding detail screen, and buy transactions were entered in the
investment accounts, causing the cash account balances to go to $0.00 and
$0.05 respectively.

The Net Worth Report accurately reports the current value of the investment
accounts and reports the balance of the cash accounts as $0.00 and $0.05.

The Net Worth Over Time Report accurately reports the monthly value of the
investment accounts, as well as the cash account with the $0.00 balance. It
incorrectly reports the second cash account as having its initial balance
(rather than $0.05) for all months following the entry of the corresponding
buy transactions. This, of course, inflates the net worth calculation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Drew.

Post by Robert Ka » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I've encountered a problem with the Net Worth Over Time Report and wondered
>if it is a known bug, or if something is amiss with my database.

>The Net Worth Over Time Report accurately reports the monthly value of the
>investment accounts, as well as the cash account with the $0.00 balance. It
>incorrectly reports the second cash account as having its initial balance
>(rather than $0.05) for all months following the entry of the corresponding
>buy transactions. This, of course, inflates the net worth calculation.

Drew ... I had this same problem with my retirement account converted
from my Money 97 file.  The only way I could solve it was to do away
with the opening balance.  In other words, I entered a deposit
transaction in the amount of the opening balance and gave it a
category that worked for me (something that will identify it for you
but not*up any of your tax and other reports).  I don't know
why, but when handled in this matter, the Net Worth Over Time report
was correct but only when the account was established in this fashion.