Multiple Accts pay one payee in "single" transaction?

Multiple Accts pay one payee in "single" transaction?

Post by XB77 » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 05:29:46

Scenario:  Go to a restaurant, pay the restaurant bill with your credit card
account, pay the tip with your cash account (pocket cash designated as
"Cash" account) and pay the valet parking from cash account.

     Apparently this requires two Money transactions: one for the credit
card charge and a split one for the cash account payment (split between the
tip and the valet).

      Why not be able to do it all in "one" transaction with the restaurant
as the payee, and split between a portion of the total to that payee coming
from the cash account and a portion from the credit card.

     Is this a wish list item, or do I simply not know how to do it?

     Trying to do this as a split transfer wouldn't allow for proper
categorization of the payment.

Multiple Accts pay one payee in "single" transaction?

Post by Richard Bollar, MV » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:43:49

You could do this as a split.  For example, imagine a $75 meal plus a $25
tip.  Enter a transaction in your credit card account for $75 & then split
the transaction.  The first category would be $100 for food: dining out, the
second would be a transfer from your cash account for $25.

--
I do not work for Microsoft.

Quote:> Scenario:  Go to a restaurant, pay the restaurant bill with your credit
card
> account, pay the tip with your cash account (pocket cash designated as
> "Cash" account) and pay the valet parking from cash account.

>      Apparently this requires two Money transactions: one for the credit
> card charge and a split one for the cash account payment (split between
the
> tip and the valet).

>       Why not be able to do it all in "one" transaction with the
restaurant
> as the payee, and split between a portion of the total to that payee
coming
> from the cash account and a portion from the credit card.

>      Is this a wish list item, or do I simply not know how to do it?

>      Trying to do this as a split transfer wouldn't allow for proper
> categorization of the payment.

Multiple Accts pay one payee in "single" transaction?

Post by XB77 » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:36:05

     Thank you.  The problem with that is that the cash portion (paid by
transfer) of the restaurant bill then goes uncategorized.  The real issue is
probably a wish list item: To be able to do transfers AND categorize them.

> You could do this as a split.  For example, imagine a $75 meal plus a $25
> tip.  Enter a transaction in your credit card account for $75 & then split
> the transaction.  The first category would be $100 for food: dining out,
the
> second would be a transfer from your cash account for $25.

> --
> I do not work for Microsoft.

> > Scenario:  Go to a restaurant, pay the restaurant bill with your credit
> card
> > account, pay the tip with your cash account (pocket cash designated as
> > "Cash" account) and pay the valet parking from cash account.

> >      Apparently this requires two Money transactions: one for the credit
> > card charge and a split one for the cash account payment (split between
> the
> > tip and the valet).

> >       Why not be able to do it all in "one" transaction with the
> restaurant
> > as the payee, and split between a portion of the total to that payee
> coming
> > from the cash account and a portion from the credit card.

> >      Is this a wish list item, or do I simply not know how to do it?

> >      Trying to do this as a split transfer wouldn't allow for proper
> > categorization of the payment.

Multiple Accts pay one payee in "single" transaction?

Post by TagMa » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:14:24

No, not at all.

The cash portion is categorized as part of the $100.00 entry = the transfer
acts as it should, reducing the asset - cash...

I think you may be mixing apples and oranges...

>      Thank you.  The problem with that is that the cash portion (paid by
> transfer) of the restaurant bill then goes uncategorized.  The real issue
is
> probably a wish list item: To be able to do transfers AND categorize them.

> > You could do this as a split.  For example, imagine a $75 meal plus a
$25
> > tip.  Enter a transaction in your credit card account for $75 & then
split
> > the transaction.  The first category would be $100 for food: dining out,
> the
> > second would be a transfer from your cash account for $25.

> > --
> > I do not work for Microsoft.

> > > Scenario:  Go to a restaurant, pay the restaurant bill with your
credit
> > card
> > > account, pay the tip with your cash account (pocket cash designated as
> > > "Cash" account) and pay the valet parking from cash account.

> > >      Apparently this requires two Money transactions: one for the
credit
> > > card charge and a split one for the cash account payment (split
between
> > the
> > > tip and the valet).

> > >       Why not be able to do it all in "one" transaction with the
> > restaurant
> > > as the payee, and split between a portion of the total to that payee
> > coming
> > > from the cash account and a portion from the credit card.

> > >      Is this a wish list item, or do I simply not know how to do it?

> > >      Trying to do this as a split transfer wouldn't allow for proper
> > > categorization of the payment.

Multiple Accts pay one payee in "single" transaction?

Post by Dick Watso » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:14:35

One transaction in credit card account with splits:
Food:Dining Out $100.00
Automobile:Parking (Valet) $25.00
Food:Dining Out (Tips) $20.00 (personally, I don't categorize tips
separately, but whatever)
Transfer:Pocket Change -$45.00
Total credit card transaction: $75.00

One split. It's done. The *expense* is categorized. It's just not
categorized in the cash account. So what? I do transactions this way all of
the time. The only thing this prevents is seeing the expense category by
account reporting. But who really cares about the account when looking at
expenses: you spent the money, didn't you?

>      Thank you.  The problem with that is that the cash portion (paid by
> transfer) of the restaurant bill then goes uncategorized.  The real issue
is
> probably a wish list item: To be able to do transfers AND categorize them.

> > You could do this as a split.  For example, imagine a $75 meal plus a
$25
> > tip.  Enter a transaction in your credit card account for $75 & then
split
> > the transaction.  The first category would be $100 for food: dining out,
> the
> > second would be a transfer from your cash account for $25.

> > --
> > I do not work for Microsoft.

> > > Scenario:  Go to a restaurant, pay the restaurant bill with your
credit
> > card
> > > account, pay the tip with your cash account (pocket cash designated as
> > > "Cash" account) and pay the valet parking from cash account.

> > >      Apparently this requires two Money transactions: one for the
credit
> > > card charge and a split one for the cash account payment (split
between
> > the
> > > tip and the valet).

> > >       Why not be able to do it all in "one" transaction with the
> > restaurant
> > > as the payee, and split between a portion of the total to that payee
> > coming
> > > from the cash account and a portion from the credit card.

> > >      Is this a wish list item, or do I simply not know how to do it?

> > >      Trying to do this as a split transfer wouldn't allow for proper
> > > categorization of the payment.

Multiple Accts pay one payee in "single" transaction?

Post by XB77 » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 05:58:26

   Yes, it works.  I made the false assumption that in filling in the split
transaction lines, that one could only transfer or categorize for an given
amount/exchange of funds.  Now this assumption seems stupid.  Ah well,
thanks for opening my eyes.

> One transaction in credit card account with splits:
> Food:Dining Out $100.00
> Automobile:Parking (Valet) $25.00
> Food:Dining Out (Tips) $20.00 (personally, I don't categorize tips
> separately, but whatever)
> Transfer:Pocket Change -$45.00
> Total credit card transaction: $75.00

> One split. It's done. The *expense* is categorized. It's just not
> categorized in the cash account. So what? I do transactions this way all
of
> the time. The only thing this prevents is seeing the expense category by
> account reporting. But who really cares about the account when looking at
> expenses: you spent the money, didn't you?

> >      Thank you.  The problem with that is that the cash portion (paid by
> > transfer) of the restaurant bill then goes uncategorized.  The real
issue
> is
> > probably a wish list item: To be able to do transfers AND categorize
them.

> > > You could do this as a split.  For example, imagine a $75 meal plus a
> $25
> > > tip.  Enter a transaction in your credit card account for $75 & then
> split
> > > the transaction.  The first category would be $100 for food: dining
out,
> > the
> > > second would be a transfer from your cash account for $25.

> > > --
> > > I do not work for Microsoft.

> credit
> > > card

> credit
> between
> > > the

> > > restaurant
> > > coming

Multiple Accts pay one payee in "single" transaction?

Post by Dick Watso » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:38:23

Glad it worked. I know that sometimes an example makes things like this
clearer. Now, for anybody reading this in perpetuity, let me fix the
example. I shouldn't post messages before 6 am.

One transaction in credit card account with splits:
Food:Dining Out $100.00
Automobile:Parking (Valet) $25.00
Food:Dining Out (Tips) $20.00
Transfer:Pocket Change -$45.00
Total credit card transaction: $100.00 !-- I screwed this up below.