money 1997 to 2000

money 1997 to 2000

Post by Jetstar88. » Mon, 04 Oct 1999 04:00:00



I'm anticipating buying Money 2000 shortly, but have a few questions:

I currently have  Money 97 and am wondering if I should uninstall it or if
Money 2000 is intended to be installed over previous versions.

Also, I am curious about the programs advertised ability to recognize
company names, thus reducing the need to decide what category to toss things
into and making (I think) the budgeting and other tools more useful. In
practice, has anyone found this feature to be pretty good...not so
good...somewhere in between?

Lastly, I think I want to start fresh and use all new categories. Do I need
to remove (or hide) the current money 97 backups so money 2000 won't get
confused? And I currently backup to a floppy in addition to the one on the
hard drive. Something tells me that Money 2000's backup will be bigger and
not fit. About how big is the backup file in Kb's or Mb's?

Thanks for any info,

Larry

 
 
 

money 1997 to 2000

Post by Richard Bollar, MV » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00


1.  You should be able to leave Money 97 installed and install 2K over it.

2.  The matching does a good job with most companies.  If it doesn't
recognize the company itself, it looks for keywords.

3.  It will be difficult to start from scratch if you intend to keep all of
your old data.  Each transaction will need to be changed to the new
categories....  and that data is stored in your Money file.

If you're doing wholesale changes from one category from another it's fairly
easy to rename categories.  Or, if you want to start from scratch, simply
create a new file.

--
Have a question on using Microsoft Money?  Visit the Unofficial Microsoft
Money FAQ at http://www.swizzle.com/msmoney/msmoney.htm


Quote:> I'm anticipating buying Money 2000 shortly, but have a few questions:

> I currently have  Money 97 and am wondering if I should uninstall it or if
> Money 2000 is intended to be installed over previous versions.

> Also, I am curious about the programs advertised ability to recognize
> company names, thus reducing the need to decide what category to toss
things
> into and making (I think) the budgeting and other tools more useful. In
> practice, has anyone found this feature to be pretty good...not so
> good...somewhere in between?

> Lastly, I think I want to start fresh and use all new categories. Do I
need
> to remove (or hide) the current money 97 backups so money 2000 won't get
> confused? And I currently backup to a floppy in addition to the one on the
> hard drive. Something tells me that Money 2000's backup will be bigger and
> not fit. About how big is the backup file in Kb's or Mb's?

> Thanks for any info,

> Larry


 
 
 

money 1997 to 2000

Post by Jetstar88. » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Okay. Thanks.

I have been considering starting over with a new file even before moving up
to Money 2K. I'm trying to time the install of it based on how it will
change things. Sort of trying to learn a little about it first. Not my usual
way of buying, then figuring it out as I go along.

Probably should just bite the bullet and buy it and start playing with it.
Guess I wanted to be sure there weren't any major reasons not to.

From what I've heard, Money 97 is not Y2k compliant, so really is no choice.

Thanks again,
Larry



> 1.  You should be able to leave Money 97 installed and install 2K over it.

> 2.  The matching does a good job with most companies.  If it doesn't
> recognize the company itself, it looks for keywords.

> 3.  It will be difficult to start from scratch if you intend to keep all
of
> your old data.  Each transaction will need to be changed to the new
> categories....  and that data is stored in your Money file.

> If you're doing wholesale changes from one category from another it's
fairly
> easy to rename categories.  Or, if you want to start from scratch, simply
> create a new file.

> --
> Have a question on using Microsoft Money?  Visit the Unofficial Microsoft
> Money FAQ at http://www.swizzle.com/msmoney/msmoney.htm



> > I'm anticipating buying Money 2000 shortly, but have a few questions:

> > I currently have  Money 97 and am wondering if I should uninstall it or
if
> > Money 2000 is intended to be installed over previous versions.

> > Also, I am curious about the programs advertised ability to recognize
> > company names, thus reducing the need to decide what category to toss
> things
> > into and making (I think) the budgeting and other tools more useful. In
> > practice, has anyone found this feature to be pretty good...not so
> > good...somewhere in between?

> > Lastly, I think I want to start fresh and use all new categories. Do I
> need
> > to remove (or hide) the current money 97 backups so money 2000 won't get
> > confused? And I currently backup to a floppy in addition to the one on
the
> > hard drive. Something tells me that Money 2000's backup will be bigger
and
> > not fit. About how big is the backup file in Kb's or Mb's?

> > Thanks for any info,

> > Larry

 
 
 

money 1997 to 2000

Post by Cal Learn » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00



>From what I've heard, Money 97 is not Y2k compliant, so really is no choice.

Who have you been listening to? I believe that I have read that it
is y2k compliant. If you search, you will find the reference.
 
 
 

money 1997 to 2000

Post by Richard Bollar, MV » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Cal's right.  All versions of Money are Y2K compliant.  The difficulty may
come with versions of Money running under Win3.1, which is not Y2K
compliant -- but that wouldn't affect M97.

--
Have a question on using Microsoft Money?  Visit the Unofficial Microsoft
Money FAQ at http://www.swizzle.com/msmoney/msmoney.htm


> Okay. Thanks.

> I have been considering starting over with a new file even before moving
up
> to Money 2K. I'm trying to time the install of it based on how it will
> change things. Sort of trying to learn a little about it first. Not my
usual
> way of buying, then figuring it out as I go along.

> Probably should just bite the bullet and buy it and start playing with it.
> Guess I wanted to be sure there weren't any major reasons not to.

> From what I've heard, Money 97 is not Y2k compliant, so really is no
choice.

> Thanks again,
> Larry



> > 1.  You should be able to leave Money 97 installed and install 2K over
it.

> > 2.  The matching does a good job with most companies.  If it doesn't
> > recognize the company itself, it looks for keywords.

> > 3.  It will be difficult to start from scratch if you intend to keep all
> of
> > your old data.  Each transaction will need to be changed to the new
> > categories....  and that data is stored in your Money file.

> > If you're doing wholesale changes from one category from another it's
> fairly
> > easy to rename categories.  Or, if you want to start from scratch,
simply
> > create a new file.

> > --
> > Have a question on using Microsoft Money?  Visit the Unofficial
Microsoft
> > Money FAQ at http://www.swizzle.com/msmoney/msmoney.htm



> > > I'm anticipating buying Money 2000 shortly, but have a few questions:

> > > I currently have  Money 97 and am wondering if I should uninstall it
or
> if
> > > Money 2000 is intended to be installed over previous versions.

> > > Also, I am curious about the programs advertised ability to recognize
> > > company names, thus reducing the need to decide what category to toss
> > things
> > > into and making (I think) the budgeting and other tools more useful.
In
> > > practice, has anyone found this feature to be pretty good...not so
> > > good...somewhere in between?

> > > Lastly, I think I want to start fresh and use all new categories. Do I
> > need
> > > to remove (or hide) the current money 97 backups so money 2000 won't
get
> > > confused? And I currently backup to a floppy in addition to the one on
> the
> > > hard drive. Something tells me that Money 2000's backup will be bigger
> and
> > > not fit. About how big is the backup file in Kb's or Mb's?

> > > Thanks for any info,

> > > Larry

 
 
 

money 1997 to 2000

Post by Jetstar88. » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Actually...I don't remember where I heard (or saw) it. At the time, several
months ago, I wasn't paying much attention. Was probably searching for
something entirely different. Just seemed to stick in my mind for some
reason.

I'll probably still move up to Money 2000 anyway, but thank you for
mentioning about the Y2k compliance. Does reduce the feeling of wanting to
rush into the new version.

Larry



> >From what I've heard, Money 97 is not Y2k compliant, so really is no
choice.

> Who have you been listening to? I believe that I have read that it
> is y2k compliant. If you search, you will find the reference.

 
 
 

money 1997 to 2000

Post by David Hattru » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00



Quote:> I'm anticipating buying Money 2000 shortly, but have a few questions:

> I currently have  Money 97 and am wondering if I should uninstall it or if
> Money 2000 is intended to be installed over previous versions.

I would probably uninstall Money97 first, just to reduce any obsolote files
and registry entries.

Quote:> Also, I am curious about the programs advertised ability to recognize
> company names, thus reducing the need to decide what category to toss
things
> into and making (I think) the budgeting and other tools more useful. In
> practice, has anyone found this feature to be pretty good...not so
> good...somewhere in between?

I'm not sure if it's a matter of recognizing company names, or recoginizing
key words in the payee.  I was amused when I put a doctor's name as a payee
and it smartly applied the medical category.  Bottom line - know what
category you wanted in the first place and see if Money wound up matching
it.

Quote:> Lastly, I think I want to start fresh and use all new categories. Do I
need
> to remove (or hide) the current money 97 backups so money 2000 won't get
> confused? And I currently backup to a floppy in addition to the one on the
> hard drive. Something tells me that Money 2000's backup will be bigger and
> not fit. About how big is the backup file in Kb's or Mb's?

If you convert your M97 file, all your created subcategories will be
imported as well.  If you want to start clean, you'll want to invest some
time cleaning up the categories yourself.  You might as well do it with your
M97 file.

As for backup size, I would just assume two floppies.  I have four years
worth of data and it compresses to about 2MB.

Dave

 
 
 

1. mico money version 5.0 1997

    When printing the income and expense report there are
unassigned transactions in the report that were assigned
to specific accounts. There are also budget numbers that
were put in on a monthly basis that so not appear on the
printed reports. The account transactions report appears
to be correct because it shows the correct categories and
amounts. When printing "How I'm Doing On My Busget" the
total for each catergory and amount do not print correctly.

2. Robot hobbists in Indy?

3. money 1997

4. programming CGI (C) scripts for Windows NT

5. Money and 1997 tax law - revisited

6. Outlook express won't die..

7. Money (97 or 98) cannot handle 1997 tax law changes

8. FS-Beneath Apple ProDOS Book - $15

9. exporting prior year tax info (1997-1998)?

10. 1997 Tax Payment

11. tax reports for 1997

12. CD Home Sampler 1997

13. Can convert Money 99 data file to Money 2000, but Money 2000 still crashes