.data missing fom site window

Post by Wayne_K.. » Sun, 21 Mar 2004 07:02:06

Just fired up a site and looked for my components and smart objects in the .data window and there was nothing there. It has been there for weeks as I developed the site. The .data directory is in place as expected. Any suggestions?

.data missing fom site window

Post by Eric Van » Sun, 21 Mar 2004 07:09:49

Wayne:

I've experienced this exact problem any number of times. I generally ended up RE-IMPORTING my site file. But that did not always work.

.data missing fom site window

Post by carl_erl.. » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:59:00

Today I reported it as a bug (has anybody found a workaround?):

DATA FOLDER LOST !
Info in "Extra" folder not displayed in side any more, after I moved all site-files to a new location.

Steps to reproduce bug:
1.
I have all files for a site in a folder,
including web documemts, database.site, site.data, site.settings.
When I went on holidays, I moved this complete folder to my Powerbook to work on it on holidays.

2.
On return, I copied everything back to the original location. (For the copying I use the "duplicate" action of Retrospect 5x)

3.
Now I opened the site, but the "EXTRA" information in the site window is empty. Clicking the right/top folder button shows that .data folder, so the path is right.

4.
Bug: opposite to previous GL versions (as far as I remember ?) the "update Site" command ("neu einlesen" an "aktualisieren") does NOT read in those missing information.

5.
Creating a new site would be VERY painful, as lots of information would be lost.
Like what data to sync and what not.

I am really stuck.

I want to mention that the first copying (to my mobile computer) was working alright.

I consider a bug that Golive is not able to rebuild the .data part.

Post by Nate Baldwi » Sat, 24 Apr 2004 02:16:57

      I consider a bug that Golive is not able to rebuild the .data part.

GoLive shouldn't have to rebuild the .data part since there's content in there you added most likely. If you're copying to a different computer, you should also be copying the .data folder manually with everything else.

If it's still working on the other computer, you could make sure the server copy and local copy match from there, then if you have to re-import the .site file, run a Sync Modification Times All to fix the uplaod status.

.data missing fom site window

Post by carl_erl.. » Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:17:40

Nate, thanks that you are trying to help.
I wrote above that I had copied EVERYTHING to the labtop and back.
(Of course also the .data -folder! :) )

...You are right, Golive should display something, as there is data in the .data folder.
It does not, and there's no way to repair/refresh/reparse it: this is 100% a BUG and not a feature.

      GoLive shouldn't have to rebuild the .data part

Wrong! A refresh needs to be always for the LEFT side of the site menu (Files) as well as on the RIGHT side (Extras), as also in EXTRAS files - like a Component - might have been changed or created without Golive "knowing" it. - That happens for example if you added a component and Golive crashed before the Site-File was saved. In this case also the new component has to be found and parsed after restarting Golive.

Greetings

Post by Nate Baldwi » Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:41:06

      I wrote above that I had copied EVERYTHING to the labtop and back.

Sorry, does seem to be what you mean, but to some people, "everything" can mean the whole site root folder and not the folders above that. My fault - I have to sometimes read through these things very quickly.

      Wrong!

Easy there. Depends on what you mean by "rebuild". I wasn't considering a "refresh view" the same as a data rebuild (the files should already be there). Anyway, that's just symantics. I won't call you wrong if you won't call me wrong <g>

Anyway, good luck.

.data missing fom site window

Post by Wayne_K.. » Wed, 05 May 2004 06:04:32

I continue to have this problem. Nothing in extras window although there are folders in the correct location.

What's going on?

1. web-data missing from site window

Hello all,
I've messed something up somehow in my site window. I was manually cleaning up my folders and now the site window only shows web-content on the left pane and nothing under the extra tab on the right pane. This may be basic but I would love for someone to tell me how to get it back in view.

Thank you in advance,

Paul Sadler

2. Audio is about 12 frames ahead of video

3. Site Creation Wizard is missing web-settings, web-content, web-data folders

4. Any news on DW MX release?

5. ALT tags and Bold in Link Tree

6. missing file names in site window

7. Tables in Word can't be read in Palm Reader

8. Missing Site window (everything is gray)

9. Missing Files in Site Window

10. Missing GoLive file icon in site window - GL6.01

11. Files Missing in Site Window

12. open browser window, missing window name