choppy playback

Post by johnsante » Sun, 11 May 2003 04:31:36

when i try to "make movie it all goes well but when i play it back its choppy/. what can be the cause of this and how do i fix it. i have a very fast dual 800 mac?
any help would be appreciated
thanks

choppy playback

Post by -stev= » Sun, 11 May 2003 04:38:10

hey john,
what you're seeing is probably a result of rendering to a lossless, or, a high data-rate codec. if your codec was something like "none" or "animation", then you would need some VERY fast gear to play it back in realtime. for more info on the render queue and it's various settings, check the help files or the manual.

-stev=o

choppy playback

Post by johnsante » Sun, 11 May 2003 05:35:14

ok i understand that but how do i correct it?

choppy playback

Post by -stev= » Sun, 11 May 2003 06:34:54

you render to a codec that will playback smoothly.
;P
to see more about codecs, check the help files, or the manual.
most often, tho, you want to always keep in mind your final output destination, and what hardware you'll be using to get there. if you're working with some proprietary hi-def board, then you need the codec that supports that hardware. if your final output is DV, then you go with that. if you just want it to playback kinda smooth on your desktop, maybe try motion jpegB of A, or various other codecs. codec stands for "compression/decompression". keep in mind that if you compress your movie file, you will NOT maintain the total amount of information that was present in your resolution independant ? comp.

-stev=o

choppy playback

Post by David Bogi » Sun, 11 May 2003 07:17:39

Umm, before you go chasing that golden codec at the end of the rendering rainbow ... tell us where you're seeing the choppy plaback.
If you're seeing it inside AE's plsyer, can't be helped. If you're seeing it on your target playback machine, that's an entirely different problem.

bogiesan

choppy playback

Post by johnsante » Sun, 11 May 2003 10:57:46

am seeing it in the quicktime player. i want to eventaully put it on a dvd. any info would be a great help to me

choppy playback

Post by john bomgaar » Sat, 31 May 2003 07:09:39

I''ve had this problem occasionally as well. I do not want to compress the render at all and loose any quality; sort of a master copy if you will.

I have a DELL insp 2.4 pentium 4 and I still occasionally get the chopping.

choppy playback

Post by Andrew Yool » Sat, 31 May 2003 21:53:52

Your hard drive can't read the file fast enough to play it smoothly when it's uncompressed. If you want a smooth preview, add an output module to your renders that makes you a second compressed version of the file. Or do it after the fact.

Unless you have a fast RAID it is very unlikely your drive can cope with the 20Mb+ per second that your uncompressed PAL/NTSC file uses.

1. Choppy Playback revisted

I was just wondering if there were any experts of Flash out there who may
have more ideas on how to minimize. if not eliminate, choppy playback on
slower systems of a Flash movie. I have worked with limiting pictures used
and reduced or stopped their movement on the stage. I have also experimented
with different formats GIF, JPG, PNG all to no avail. In some cases the JPGs
were only 3.2k in size. At any rate the problem still persists - i cant keep
removing pictures (background or not) and any animation is slight at best
really - mostly stationary after first 10 frames of each page within the
movie because each is assigned a "stop" action to allow people to read whats
there before clicking to the next. I see the www.balthaser.com website and
they use a lot of animation and still graphics but the movie isnt choppy
even on slower systems. Mine running as an EXE right from the HD is choppy
unless of course you're running  a 400Mhz + system. I am lost on this one
still - any help is so much appreciated.

thank you,

Shawn

2. Sorting Query Info Into Tables

3. Choppy playback?

4. Rollovers from FW to DW

5. External Skin not visible, choppy playback Flash 8 Video

6. What is best antialias setting for tv graphics

7. Real (Flash) troubles --choppy playback

8. buttons and mouse - scrolling !?!?

9. CHOPPY PLAYBACK HELP!!

10. Sound Problem (Choppy playback)

11. Director 6.02 choppy playback with Encarta

12. Choppy playback

13. attempts to fix choppy playback