Just Got InDesign....

Post by Dan Ega » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hey all, we just got InDesign and have had a little time to play with it....
seems pretty nice.
I think they have a winner here...........some details:

Quark and PM conversions thus far have worked quite well. It basically looks
a lot like Photoshop, but feels a lot like Freehand also. When opening a
Quark or PM file it will give you a list of any problems during the
conversion-missing fonts, links, etc....

InDesign does not support OLE or Quark XTensions, so if you open files that
contain OLE or Q-XT graphics, those graphics will not appear in the InD
document. Also, Color profiles for PM 6.5 are converted properly while the
unique Quark color profiles are ignored. Other than that, all colors are
converted exactly. Text comes in as text frames,styles are converted,
embedded graphics that are pasted via clipboard into your PM or Quark
Document will not be converted.

Pasting inside frames, layers, many trapping options (although most require
Adobe In-Rip trapping installed in your RIP and PS level 3), a LOT of text
and page handling features, drawing tools....

Importing formats include:

Illustrator (as editable objects!)

Photoshop PSD (but layers are flattened and no transparency via alpha
channel-must use tiff or eps with clipping path)

BMP (as if we would...)

DCS (alpha and clipping remain)

EPS (bitmap for viewing is created automatically, OPI is fine,clipping paths
can be converted to editable frames)

GIF

JPEG (clipping paths are fine)

PICT (Mac and PC can import, rgb or cmyk)

WMF (vector only, 16 bit rgb color only)

PCX

PDF

PNG (trans or white background)

SCT (scitex)

TIFF (OPI is fine,no alpha support-but clipping path is fine).

EXPORTING:

EPS (no individual graphics, must be an entire page-will export entire
document with each page as a separate file)

PDF (same as above)

HTML (same as above)

.PS (same as above)

.SEP (Prepress file)

Well, that's all for now. Got to do real work now. If any of you have Q's,
just ask.....

Dan Egan
Progressive Printing & Graphics

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Rob » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

hey Dan sounds great!, my local service bureau say they will support
InDesign if they can use their DK&A Imposition software (2000+), do you
know if this will work?
if not, what kind of imposition do you get with InDesign?

I suppose the big question is - can I ditch Quark? pleeeeeeease :b

ttfn, Rob P

----------

> Hey all, we just got InDesign and have had a little time to play with it....
> seems pretty nice.
> I think they have a winner here...........some details:

> Dan Egan
> Progressive Printing & Graphics

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Lynn Bantle » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hey Dan,

Where did you buy it? Seems that all of the online shops (PC Connection,
etc) do not have it in stock yet.

Please keep us updated as to what you think of the software.

Thanks,

Lynn

>Hey all, we just got InDesign and have had a little time to play with
it....
>seems pretty nice.

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Dan Ega » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> hey Dan sounds great!, my local service bureau say they will support
> InDesign if they can use their DK&A Imposition software (2000+), do you
> know if this will work?
> if not, what kind of imposition do you get with InDesign?

> I suppose the big question is - can I ditch Quark? pleeeeeeease :b

Well, I'm not familiar with DK&A ??? But most imposition programs require
pages output as PS or EPS images-so it should not be a problem. InD has some
layout features that I have yet to play with, but according to the manual it
can impose for multiple up and booklet-type layouts. I'll have to play with
the imposing (or layout as they call it) within InD.

The latter question is one we will all have to answer individually. As a
printer and service bureau, I will have to keep them all---sigh!

Dan Egan
PP&G

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Dan Ega » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hey Dan,

> Where did you buy it? Seems that all of the online shops (PC Connection,
> etc) do not have it in stock yet.

> Please keep us updated as to what you think of the software.

We're an Adobe ASP, or now they are calling us ASN... Adobe Service Network.
So we get the final release of all software about 30 days before they ship
to the public. This is so that we can get familiar with the software and be
ready to output files. Most likely also so that we will "plug" their
software in advance for them.....

Dan Egan
PP&G

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Lynn Bantle » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Dan,

30 days from now...Hmmm, surprisingly *close* to San Francisco Seybold.<g>
Maybe I can pick it up there.

Lynn

>> Hey Dan,

>> Where did you buy it? Seems that all of the online shops (PC Connection,
>> etc) do not have it in stock yet.

>> Please keep us updated as to what you think of the software.

>We're an Adobe ASP, or now they are calling us ASN... Adobe Service
Network.
>So we get the final release of all software about 30 days before they ship
>to the public. This is so that we can get familiar with the software and be
>ready to output files. Most likely also so that we will "plug" their
>software in advance for them.....

>Dan Egan
>PP&G

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Michael H. Philli » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> If any of you have Q's,
> just ask.....

Any long document capabilities? Index, TOC, X-refs, footnotes, endnotes?
Can I dump Quark and FrameMaker?

--
Michael H. Phillips
Daghda <> Book design & illustration

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Sandee Cohe » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

No, the long document capabilities are limited in Indy.

There's an Index feature available as a third party plug-in.

No X-refs. No footnotes. No endnotes. No book feature to coordinate page
numbers, styles and colors across documents.

I have a feeling that if you use FrameMaker, you're going to use it for a
long time in the future.

Best,

Sandee

> Any long document capabilities? Index, TOC, X-refs, footnotes, endnotes?
> Can I dump Quark and FrameMaker?

--
Sandee Cohen
author of the

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Dan Ega » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> No, the long document capabilities are limited in Indy.

> There's an Index feature available as a third party plug-in.

> No X-refs. No footnotes. No endnotes. No book feature to coordinate page
> numbers, styles and colors across documents.

Sounds about right.

BTW, Sandee, I saw you in the latest issue of Publish..... Nice tips- That
mag is great, and that issue is a real keeper.

Dan Egan
PP&G

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Sandee Cohe » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thanks, Dan, for the kind words. I hope you also saw David Blatner's and my
opinion piece on new software. (Look to the past for new features for
software.)

That was a concept that started with one of my tirades at a seminar.

Best,

Sandee

> BTW, Sandee, I saw you in the latest issue of Publish..... Nice tips- That
> mag is great, and that issue is a real keeper.

--
Sandee Cohen
author of the
InDesign VQS
Fireworks 2 VQS
FreeHand 8 VQS
and co-author of The Non-Designer's Scan and Print Book

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Ken Ke » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 00:13:47 -0700, "Lynn Bantley"

> Thanks Dan,

> 30 days from now...Hmmm, surprisingly *close* to San Francisco Seybold.<g>
> Maybe I can pick it up there.

You're best bet would be to grab it through one of the Mail order
catalogs. They are offering it for $299 until September. I don't know
if that includes the month of September or not, I think it does
though.

Of course, ther are always 'show specials', and I'm sure Adobe will be
pushing it pretty hard.

Ken
ellipsis design
(remove the _xx_'s)

Just Got InDesign....

Post by to.send.mail.direct: bpylan » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Absolutely, great article!

> Thanks, Dan, for the kind words. I hope you also saw David Blatner's and my
> opinion piece on new software. (Look to the past for new features for
> software.)

> That was a concept that started with one of my tirades at a seminar.

> Best,

> Sandee

> > BTW, Sandee, I saw you in the latest issue of Publish..... Nice tips- That
> > mag is great, and that issue is a real keeper.

> --
> Sandee Cohen
> author of the
> InDesign VQS
> Fireworks 2 VQS
> FreeHand 8 VQS
> and co-author of The Non-Designer's Scan and Print Book

Just Got InDesign....

Post by to.send.mail.direct: bpylan » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Really?!?!?!? SIGH... everything I read tells me that ID is going to be
a good (note I did not say great) app, but at the same time I keep
hearing of things that seem to have been left out or glossed over, and I
can't magine why.

Maybe if get some of those MM engineers working on a true layout app...!
Think about it - tight integration with FreeHand, coupled with MM's
intuitive interface conventions and workflows. I'd dump Quirk and
PainMaker (er, I mean PageFaker, oops I meant to say RageMaker) in a
heartbeat!

Great stuff in the new Publish, BTW - I read that whole issue cover to
cover several times now, and it has easily earned a permanent spot on my
sagging bookshelves!

Plus we got to see yer smilin' face!   8^)

Brian

> No, the long document capabilities are limited in Indy.

> There's an Index feature available as a third party plug-in.

> No X-refs. No footnotes. No endnotes. No book feature to coordinate page
> numbers, styles and colors across documents.

> I have a feeling that if you use FrameMaker, you're going to use it for a
> long time in the future.

> Best,

> Sandee

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Sandee Cohe » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Brian,

You are going through the stages that the beta testers and authors already
have gone through. So if I seem more accepting than you it is because I
already went through:

Denial: Cannot believe that the features are as seen. Keep looking and waiting
for the patch to fix the problems. Symptoms: Constantly looking for new beta
disks in the mail.

Anger: Rage that Adobe would do this to "my" program. Symptoms: E-mails to
everyone at Adobe telling them how stupid the program is.

Bargaining: Attempts to look for redeeming features in the program. Symptoms:
More e-mails explaining how easy it would be to fix the problems.

Depression: Total depression that the errors aren't being fixed. Symptoms:
Take to bed and refuse to work on the book for a week.

Acceptance: Understand that Adobe has to ship the program and there will
always be mistakes. Symptomsl: Going on a panel at Seybold to talk about the
"Next Generation" of page layout programs.

It's funny, though. There are so many people who are so furious at Quark Inc.
that they are willing to live with ANYTHING else.

Also, ID is not PageMaker 8. It is version 1 software. As version 1 software
it shows great promise. Really revolutionary. But there are many things that
need to be fixed before it will be a Quark Killer.

Best,

Sandee

PS: There's a character on Deep Space 9 who should not be confused with ID as
a Quark Killer.

--
Sandee Cohen
author of the
InDesign VQS
Fireworks 2 VQS
FreeHand 8 VQS
and co-author of The Non-Designer's Scan and Print Book

Just Got InDesign....

Post by Dan Ega » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks, Dan, for the kind words. I hope you also saw David Blatner's and
my
> opinion piece on new software. (Look to the past for new features for
> software.)

> That was a concept that started with one of my tirades at a seminar.

Yup, I could not agree more. I'm one of the lucky few that started out using
compugraphic equipment years ago- so while I appreciate all the great stuff
we can do today, I do miss some of the simple features. Do most people out
there even know where the term "leading" came from??? I doubt it.

Nice article.

Dan Egan
PP&G