Circuit help?

Post by John » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:09:11

How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
complement numbers and indicate overflow?

Can this be built from 1-bit components?

What are the inputs and the outputs?

TIA.

Circuit help?

Post by Case » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:11:58

John E said...

Quote:> How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
> complement numbers and indicate overflow?

> Can this be built from 1-bit components?

> What are the inputs and the outputs?

When is the homework due?

Casey

Circuit help?

Post by John » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:18:45

Quote:> John E said...
> > How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
> > complement numbers and indicate overflow?

> > Can this be built from 1-bit components?

> > What are the inputs and the outputs?

> When is the homework due?

You give me a clue and I'll give you a clue...

Circuit help?

Post by Thad Smit » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:15:24

> How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
> complement numbers and indicate overflow?

I don't know how you do it.

Quote:> Can this be built from 1-bit components?

Yes, with suitable definition of 1-bit components.  What do you mean?

Quote:> What are the inputs and the outputs?

If you are asking, it sounds as though you haven't decided what you want
your circuit to do.  We can't answer that for you.

I suggest looking up the term "half adder" for information on designing
adder circuits.

Thad

Circuit help?

Post by Craig Ru » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:21:34

>How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
>complement numbers and indicate overflow?

By reading your course textbook.

Quote:>Can this be built from 1-bit components?

Yes.

Quote:>What are the inputs and the outputs?

Two 4 bit two's compliment numbers, their sum and the overflow indication.
--

(303) 497-1211          P.O. Box 3000
                        Boulder, CO  80307

Circuit help?

Post by Stefan Monnie » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:48:18

Quote:>> Can this be built from 1-bit components?
[...]
> I suggest looking up the term "half adder" for information on designing
> adder circuits.

Given the question it's clear they want a full 4bit adder based on full
1bit elements, not on 1/2 bit adders (which makes sense since you get to
use half as many 1bit elements, so it's half the size, latency, and power
consumption).

        Stefan

Circuit help?

Post by Mike Noon » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 02:37:46

83837.news.uni-berlin.de:

Quote:> How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
> complement numbers and indicate overflow?

> Can this be built from 1-bit components?

> What are the inputs and the outputs?

> TIA.

4 full adders wires in parallel. Now do your own homework.

Circuit help?

Post by Del Cecch » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:01:28

> >How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
> >complement numbers and indicate overflow?

> By reading your course textbook.

> >Can this be built from 1-bit components?

> Yes.

> >What are the inputs and the outputs?

> Two 4 bit two's compliment numbers, their sum and the overflow indication.
> --

> (303) 497-1211  P.O. Box 3000
> Boulder, CO  80307

Here is the easy solution:  go to the library and find a really old Texas
Instruments TTL data book, with the gold covers from about 1970 or earlier.
Look up the 7481.  Copy to paper.  Turn in.

Plan B.  Write verilog for function.  synthesize.  print netlist.  turn in.

del cecchi

Circuit help?

Post by Mitch Als » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:00:13

> How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
> complement numbers and indicate overflow?

> Can this be built from 1-bit components?

> What are the inputs and the outputs?

> TIA.

Use a 256 entry ROM with 5-bits words

Circuit help?

Post by Thad Smit » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:32:41

> >> Can this be built from 1-bit components?
> [...]
> > I suggest looking up the term "half adder" for information on designing
> > adder circuits.

> Given the question it's clear they want a full 4bit adder based on full
> 1bit elements, not on 1/2 bit adders (which makes sense since you get to
> use half as many 1bit elements, so it's half the size, latency, and power
> consumption).

True.  I thought that half adder would be a good search term to find a
general discussion of adder circuits.  Once the OP gets a hit, he should
find lots of info on half adders, full adders, carry circuits, etc., to
keep him entertained for a while.

Thad

Circuit help?

Post by Del Cecch » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:42:57

Quote:> > How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
> > complement numbers and indicate overflow?

> > Can this be built from 1-bit components?

> > What are the inputs and the outputs?

> > TIA.

> Use a 256 entry ROM with 5-bits words

That's a great idea.  But doesn't he need either 10 bits or 512 entries to
handle the add/subtract requirement?.  Or he could make the 512 entry truth
table and run quine-mcclusky minimization.  I'll bet there is one of those
available on the net.

del cecchi

Circuit help?

Post by Denni » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:33:54

>>>How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
>>>complement numbers and indicate overflow?

>>By reading your course textbook.

>>>Can this be built from 1-bit components?

>>Yes.

>>>What are the inputs and the outputs?

>>Two 4 bit two's compliment numbers, their sum and the overflow indication.
>>--

>>(303) 497-1211  P.O. Box 3000
>>Boulder, CO  80307

> Here is the easy solution:  go to the library and find a really old Texas
> Instruments TTL data book, with the gold covers from about 1970 or earlier.
> Look up the 7481.  Copy to paper.  Turn in.

> Plan B.  Write verilog for function.  synthesize.  print netlist.  turn in.

> del cecchi

Or a more recent CMOS book and look up 74HC181. Look at logic diagram.
Delete parts you don't need. Turn in.

Circuit help?

Post by John » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:24:44

Quote:> <snip!>

> 4 full adders wires in parallel.

Would one half-adder (for the LSB) with three full-adders not be a
preferable solution as there will be no carry input for the LSB?

Quote:> Now do your own homework.

OK, sir.

Circuit help?

Post by John » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:29:27

> > How do I design a circuit that can add and subtract two 4-bit two's
> > complement numbers and indicate overflow?

> I don't know how you do it.

OK, thanks.

Quote:> > Can this be built from 1-bit components?

> Yes, with suitable definition of 1-bit components.  What do you mean?

What exactly would be a "normal" definition of 1-bit components? Would that
typically just mean AND gates, OR gates etc? If so I'm assuming that since
half & full adders consist of such components then the answer to my original
question is obviously 'yes'..?

Circuit help?

Post by Spehro Pefhan » Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:35:22

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:24:44 -0000, the renowned "John E"

>> <snip!>

>> 4 full adders wires in parallel.

>Would one half-adder (for the LSB) with three full-adders not be a
>preferable solution as there will be no carry input for the LSB?

Dig deeper and don't guess.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
--
"it's the network..."                          "The Journey is the reward"

Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com

1. Embedded system circuit HELP needed

I have been developing fulltime an embedded system for a year now with an
8051, an LCD, buttons, and communication modules. I am a software engineer
and am having problems with the hardware ... sometimes it works and
sometimes it doesn't ... it's driving me crazy.

I am looking for new friends who have an electronics background and would
like to help me with the project ... it's a lot of fun :) I live in
Aventura, FL, Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area.

Regards,
Alberto

2. LOst SysOP

3. <<HELP ON 2'S COMPLIMENT CIRCUIT>>

4. auto Send/Receive in Outlook (using CSharp)

5. RS232 Mux/Demux circuit (Software guy looking for help)

6. WE NEED YOUR INPUT

7. Help : PIC tacho circuit

8. PHONE/FAX/MODEM SWITCH FOR AV MACS?

9. Need help and info on a ZAX 178 in-circuit emulator (8048 processor)

10. Need help with a ZAX ICD-178 8048 in-circuit emulator (further details)

11. Crystal circuits... please help

12. newbie: need help , standard circuit not working .

13. HELP ! Circuit Cellar copy needed