floats conversion

Post by unknow » Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:27:47

Hi,

would one of you be so kind and point me to articles or books cotaining
info about base conversions of fixed point and floating point numbers, or
more specifically conversions of floats to ASCII decimal representations?
I've tried dejanews&citeseer already w/o luck :-(

floats conversion

Post by Jeff Kento » Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:40:26

> Hi,

> would one of you be so kind and point me to articles or books cotaining
> info about base conversions of fixed point and floating point numbers,
> or more specifically conversions of floats to ASCII decimal
> representations? I've tried dejanews&citeseer already w/o luck :-(

Look these up, and then follow their references for even more info:

Printing Floating-Point Numbers Quickly and Accurately, Robert G. Burger and
R. Kent Dybvig

How to Print Floating-Point Numbers Accurately, Guy L. Steele Jr. and Jon L White

Correctly Rounded Binary-Decimal and Decimal-Binary Conversions, David M. Gay

How to Read Floating Point Numbers Accurately, William D Clinger

=    Jeff Kenton      Consulting and software development               =
=                     http://home.comcast.net/~jeffrey.kenton           =

1. S/370 float -> DEC float conversion?

We're a VAX shop faced with the prospect of reading floating-point data from
IBM S/370 tapes.  Specifically, we need to convert from IBM Long floating
(64-bit) format to DEC D Floating format.

Are there commonly available routines for this?  Both representations are 64
bits long, but the the fractions are different sizes, the exponents are
different sizes representing different ranges, the path from MSB to LSB is
different, and the normalization scheme is different.

Yes, I could write this.  If it's been done, though, it's probably better and
certainly quicker.  Any suggestions?

- bill

2. Private Appointments

3. Decimal-to-IEEE float conversion

4. OOOh my god - cracked screen

5. automatic conversion floating points to fixed points?

6. OMNI (Rebis) U.G. in Norway

7. conversion between floating point formats

8. Floating point conversion code needed

9. PowerPC Float to Double Conversion

10. Integer to floating-point conversion

11. Data-General floating-point format conversion

12. 24 bit -> 32 bit floating point conversion