Adaptec Raid Array Problem

Post by Scott Baue » Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:54:35

I am having some problems with setting up my storage system and would
appreciate any help.

I have an Adaptec 2010S plugged into a SuperMicro P4DP8-G2 motherboard, and
9 Seagate Ultra320 drives.  The Raid card see's all of the drives just fine,
but when I go in and create a Raid 5 array (using only 8 of the drives), I
have problems.  Basically, I set up the array, and then tell it to BUILD.
Everything goes along fine, and once it hits 100%, it tells me the array is
in "Optimal" status.  The problem is, I then "Save the Configuration" and
reboot the machine, and when it comes back up, the card tells me there are
"Multiple Drive Failures" and the array is "Dead."  I have rebuilt the
array, and it seems to work again, and then dies after reboot.  I'm not sure
if it's an issue with Termination on the SCSI cable or what, but it is
REALLY frustrating.  The drives are located in 2 separate "Icy Dock" modules
with SCA2 hot-swap backplanes (made by Cremax,
www.cremax.com/product_2.html).  If anyone has seen any problems like this
before, or knows of any problems with the Seagate ST336732LC drives, I would
really appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Scott Bauer

Adaptec Raid Array Problem

Post by Rita A. Berkowit » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 00:56:23

Quote:> I am having some problems with setting up my storage system and would
> appreciate any help.

> I have an Adaptec 2010S plugged into a SuperMicro P4DP8-G2 motherboard,
and
> 9 Seagate Ultra320 drives.  The Raid card see's all of the drives just
fine,
> but when I go in and create a Raid 5 array (using only 8 of the drives), I
> have problems.  Basically, I set up the array, and then tell it to BUILD.
> Everything goes along fine, and once it hits 100%, it tells me the array
is
> in "Optimal" status.  The problem is, I then "Save the Configuration" and
> reboot the machine, and when it comes back up, the card tells me there are
> "Multiple Drive Failures" and the array is "Dead."  I have rebuilt the
> array, and it seems to work again, and then dies after reboot.  I'm not
sure
> if it's an issue with Termination on the SCSI cable or what, but it is
> REALLY frustrating.  The drives are located in 2 separate "Icy Dock"
modules
> with SCA2 hot-swap backplanes (made by Cremax,
> www.cremax.com/product_2.html).  If anyone has seen any problems like this
> before, or knows of any problems with the Seagate ST336732LC drives, I
would
> really appreciate any help.

Scott, I would say that this sounds like a termination issue or most likely
a problem with your hot-swap backplane not rated for U320 or not configured
correctly.  I'm not sure if your SCA2 supports U320?  First, I would
disconnect the second SCA2 and try to get the first one working with the
minimal amount of drives.  Confirm that your terminator and cable is rated
for U320.  Make sure all jumpers are set properly on the backplane.  Let us
know how you make out.  Good luck.

Rita

Adaptec Raid Array Problem

Post by Erik Ivanenk » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:49:24

Interesting product.

According to cremax web site, rated Ultra3/160.

--

Erik Ivanenko
CCMS Supervisor

Ph:  416-978-1900
Fax: 416-978-6650

Adaptec Raid Array Problem

Post by Rita A. Berkowit » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:25:40

Quote:> Interesting product.

> According to cremax web site, rated Ultra3/160.

Thanks.  For some reason I can't get into their site.

Rita

Adaptec Raid Array Problem

Post by Scott Baue » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:44:08

Thanks,

I'm going to low-level format all the drives (take out the Raid card and
just go into Adaptec Bios to format) and then try just using one of the 2
backplanes.  Unfortunately the backplanes did not come with much in the way
of documentation (a single page of paper folded in half), and their web site
isn't much help, either.  Thanks, and I'll let you guys know what happens.

-Scott

> > I am having some problems with setting up my storage system and would
> > appreciate any help.

> > I have an Adaptec 2010S plugged into a SuperMicro P4DP8-G2 motherboard,
> and
> > 9 Seagate Ultra320 drives.  The Raid card see's all of the drives just
> fine,
> > but when I go in and create a Raid 5 array (using only 8 of the drives),
> > have problems.  Basically, I set up the array, and then tell it to
BUILD.
> > Everything goes along fine, and once it hits 100%, it tells me the array
> is
> > in "Optimal" status.  The problem is, I then "Save the Configuration"
and
> > reboot the machine, and when it comes back up, the card tells me there
are
> > "Multiple Drive Failures" and the array is "Dead."  I have rebuilt the
> > array, and it seems to work again, and then dies after reboot.  I'm not
> sure
> > if it's an issue with Termination on the SCSI cable or what, but it is
> > REALLY frustrating.  The drives are located in 2 separate "Icy Dock"
> modules
> > with SCA2 hot-swap backplanes (made by Cremax,
> > www.cremax.com/product_2.html).  If anyone has seen any problems like
this
> > before, or knows of any problems with the Seagate ST336732LC drives, I
> would
> > really appreciate any help.

> Scott, I would say that this sounds like a termination issue or most
likely
> a problem with your hot-swap backplane not rated for U320 or not
configured
> correctly.  I'm not sure if your SCA2 supports U320?  First, I would
> disconnect the second SCA2 and try to get the first one working with the
> minimal amount of drives.  Confirm that your terminator and cable is rated
> for U320.  Make sure all jumpers are set properly on the backplane.  Let
us
> know how you make out.  Good luck.

> Rita

Adaptec Raid Array Problem

Post by Rita A. Berkowit » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:15:47

Quote:> Thanks,

> I'm going to low-level format all the drives (take out the Raid card and
> just go into Adaptec Bios to format) and then try just using one of the 2
> backplanes.  Unfortunately the backplanes did not come with much in the
way
> of documentation (a single page of paper folded in half), and their web
site
> isn't much help, either.  Thanks, and I'll let you guys know what happens.

> -Scott

Scott, you may not find it advantageous to LLF each individual drive.  I'm
suspecting that that your problem is elsewhere.  I finally did get on to the
Cremax site.  What I found was that backplane is only U160 if I'm looking at
the right one?  Again, confirm your terminator and cable rating.  For an
experiment I would suggest that you go into the 2010S's BIOS and select the
SCSI utilities and set each drive for U160.  This little downgrade will
prove that you might have some components that are not rated for U320.  Good
luck.

Rita

--
Go SCSI young man, go SCSI and never look back!!
Real men use Intel and little boys use AMD!

IDE RAID is no solution at all!

Adaptec Raid Array Problem

Post by Scott Baue » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:47:34

Yes, I think that is the problem.  When I was working on it tonight, I
seemed to get everything working fine, and the termination was set
perfectly.  I made the array and rebooted, same problem.  Booted from the
Adaptec CD and looked at one of the drives...  it showed Ultra160 (even
though the other 4 drives on that backplane reported Ultra320).   Sent an
e-mail to Cremax tech support (don't know if it will help or not) and look
forward to hearing from them tomorrow.  If anyone knows of an Ultra320
version like this, please let me know...

Thanks
Scott

P.S. - Anyone want to buy some Ultra160 Backplanes? :)

> > Thanks,

> > I'm going to low-level format all the drives (take out the Raid card and
> > just go into Adaptec Bios to format) and then try just using one of the
2
> > backplanes.  Unfortunately the backplanes did not come with much in the
> way
> > of documentation (a single page of paper folded in half), and their web
> site
> > isn't much help, either.  Thanks, and I'll let you guys know what
happens.

> > -Scott

> Scott, you may not find it advantageous to LLF each individual drive.  I'm
> suspecting that that your problem is elsewhere.  I finally did get on to
the
> Cremax site.  What I found was that backplane is only U160 if I'm looking
at
> the right one?  Again, confirm your terminator and cable rating.  For an
> experiment I would suggest that you go into the 2010S's BIOS and select
the
> SCSI utilities and set each drive for U160.  This little downgrade will
> prove that you might have some components that are not rated for U320.
Good
> luck.

> Rita

> --
> Go SCSI young man, go SCSI and never look back!!
> Real men use Intel and little boys use AMD!
> Give me SCSI or give me death!
> IDE is Welfare's solution to RAID!

> IDE RAID is no solution at all!

Adaptec Raid Array Problem

Post by Rita A. Berkowit » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:26:42

Quote:> Yes, I think that is the problem.  When I was working on it tonight, I
> seemed to get everything working fine, and the termination was set
> perfectly.  I made the array and rebooted, same problem.  Booted from the
> Adaptec CD and looked at one of the drives...  it showed Ultra160 (even
> though the other 4 drives on that backplane reported Ultra320).   Sent an
> e-mail to Cremax tech support (don't know if it will help or not) and look
> forward to hearing from them tomorrow.  If anyone knows of an Ultra320
> version like this, please let me know...

> Thanks
> Scott

> P.S. - Anyone want to buy some Ultra160

Backplanes? :)

Scott, rotate the drives to different slots and see what happens.  If it
still shows U160 in the same spot you now have confirmed it is the
backplane.  If it moves with the drives you may have a problematic drive
(Highly unlikely).

As for a comparable backplane, you might want to try Supermicro. They make a
really nice server/workstation case that has seven hot-swap bays that are
U320 certified.  The model number is CSE-742S-420.  You can pick this case
up for almost $400.00.  Buying separate backplanes like you have usually run
for slightly higher that $200 for U320 if you can find them.  So, it may be
more economical to get the whole new case if the Cremax techs can't help
you.

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Chassis/SC742.htm

Supermicro also has the separate hot-swap bay (CSE-031), which is only
certified for U160, unfortunately.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rita

--
Go SCSI young man, go SCSI and never look back!!
Real men use Intel and boys with little toys use AMD!