Request for simulation packages

Post by Michael Herma » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 20:22:00

Forgive my ignorance, but...

I need an RTL-level simulation package, which produces statistics, for a
small microprocessor I am designing as part of my Masters' thesis. This will
be a RISC-like functional architecture, with a small microcode driven
instruction set, pipelining, and hardware implemented garbage-collection.

As the design will be driven by simulation results, I need an easily
extensible package, with good documentation, and a good user interface.
I have access to VAX 11/780s, SUN and Apollo workstations, all running under
UNIX 4.2, and I would most appreciate information on public-domain software,
or inexpensive packages, as my budget is limited.

In addition, if anyone has pointers to good general documents on hardware
simulation, and/or some survey papers of available simulation packages, these
would prove most helpful. I'll eventually need switch-level simulations as
well, as I plan to fabricate the processor once it's functional design is
frozen.

Please send replies to:

UUCP  ...uunet!alberta!calgary!hermann

POST: Mike Hermann
        Dept. of Computer Science,
        University of Calgary
        2500 University Dr. NW
        Calgary, Alberta, CANADA
        T2N-1N4

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Mike Hermann
--

|   Mike Hermann   |  UUCP  ...uunet!alberta!calgary!hermann

         God is Real!!! (unless declared an integer)

1. Tape Simulation Package

Hi,

My first message about this seems not to have reached the newsgroup, so I am
trying to post from a different server. Apologies if both of them make it.

I am trying to build an HSM application. Since it will mainly be used to
test the capabilities of the file system (DFS) only, I am not interested in
using an actual back-end tertiary storage device. Any software module that
would simulate such a device would be sufficient. Are there any packages
that attempt to simulate tape (or other tertiary) storage devices?
If not, I am looking for pointers that would help me write a rudimentary
tape simulation module. What are the important parameters that I should model,
what are their value ranges, etc.? I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,

Thirumale Niranjan
Advanced Member of Technical Staff
Transarc Corporation

2. global setting of conditionals

3. Announcing the availability of Cheetah : A cache simulation package

4. Texture files

5. Bitmaped Fonts request / BDF request

6. margins

7. decNumber -- an arbitrary-precision floating-point package

8. BigNum package available at ftp://skip.incog.com/pub/bn/bnlib.tar.gz

9. Multi-precision FP packages wanted

10. Bnlib 1.1 integer math package released

11. Looking for double int arithmetic package in C

12. Multiple-precision arithmetic package in C?