Firewire RAID 0 or RAID 1 (dynamic disks) on Win2K

Firewire RAID 0 or RAID 1 (dynamic disks) on Win2K

Post by Darren Patters » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:46:48

Just today I discovered a method to convert firewire removable drives
to dynamic disks in Windows 2000 so I could stripe, mirror, etc. them.
 Since I scoured the internet for hours trying to find resources on
this topic and came up empty, here is my outline/how to.

This solution only works if you are using IDE/ATA drives with external
firewire enclosures.

--------
Side Comment:
If you are serious about using your firewire drives, do not use
Charismac's Raid Toolkit for Windows 2000.  It is unfortunately, very
VERY buggy and just basically badly written software.  I am
formulating an email to send to them about their product's issues.
--------

How to setup a firewire array, stripe, RAID 0, RAID 1, in Windows
2000:

Win2k views all firewire drives as removable media, so you can not
convert them to dynamic disks, thus you can not stripe, mirror, etc.
To get around this, you must fool Disk Manager.

I purchased two ATA100 hard drives and two firewire enclosures.
Take one at a time, or both of the drives at once and plug them into
the IDE/ATA bus.
Run Disk Manager and convert them to Dynamic Disks.
Put the drives into the firewire enclosures.
You will now be able to stripe, mirror, etc. the drives.

-darren

Firewire RAID 0 or RAID 1 (dynamic disks) on Win2K

Post by turtlesha » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:25:31

Do you think I could use this setup on a Laptop?

Firewire RAID 0 or RAID 1 (dynamic disks) on Win2K

Post by Bob Irela » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:54:24

Why would it NOT work?

Bob I.

Quote:> Do you think I could use this setup on a Laptop?

Post by Darren Patters » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:26:46

> Do you think I could use this setup on a Laptop?

Dynamic Disks should be transferable between Windows 2000 systems.  If
you can find a way to plug in a hard drive (do you have a desktop
running win2k? or access to one?) and convert it to a dynamic disk
before you attempt to stripe it, you're set.  Once the drives are
striped, according to microsoft's site you can transfer them between
any windows 2000 system without problems.

Good luck,
-darren

Post by David McCal » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:38:52

> > Do you think I could use this setup on a Laptop?

> Dynamic Disks should be transferable between Windows 2000 systems.  If
> you can find a way to plug in a hard drive (do you have a desktop
> running win2k? or access to one?) and convert it to a dynamic disk
> before you attempt to stripe it, you're set.  Once the drives are
> striped, according to microsoft's site you can transfer them between
> any windows 2000 system without problems.

I've found this to be pretty much true, except that
the drives may not show up in "my computer"
automatically. When transferring drives from another
computer, you  may have to open
Computer Management/Storage/Disk management/,
right click on the area to the left of the grayed out drive,
select import foreign drive and follow instructions.

David