QIC-40 tapes formatted on QIC-80 drive?

Post by Russell M » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I recently got some free QIC-40 tapes (3M DC-2000 and Global G2000).
I formatted one of them on a Colorado Jumbo 250 QIC-80 tape drive
and got about 80 Mb uncompressed capacity. That's proprotional to
the tape length (205 ft vs 307 ft for QIC-80). I notice the QIC-40
tapes are rated 12500 ftpi, a little lower than the QIC-80 ratings
of 14700 ftpi, which implies the data written for the QIC-80 format
might be a little too dense for the QIC-40 tapes. One small backup
I did compared okay, but I wonder how generally reliable QIC-40
tapes are when they are formatted and written with a QIC-80 tape
drive?

Does anyone have comments on reliabilty of QIC-40 tapes formatted
and written with a QIC-80 tape drive?

QIC-40 tapes formatted on QIC-80 drive?

Post by Keith Christense » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

They would probably work OK --SHORT TERM--- Part of the problem is that
nobody can predict how long!
I did this a few times, but found that these took almost twice as long to
format, so I gave it up! The time wasn't worth it.

--

(Kill ..(delete..<g>) BAMBI for email.... the spammers are wise to NOSPAM!)

A: Hi Tech is a Pain in the  )(  !
B: I deal with Fast Electrons,
    call a lineman for problems with the slow ones!

|I recently got some free QIC-40 tapes (3M DC-2000 and Global G2000).
|I formatted one of them on a Colorado Jumbo 250 QIC-80 tape drive
|and got about 80 Mb uncompressed capacity. That's proprotional to
|the tape length (205 ft vs 307 ft for QIC-80). I notice the QIC-40
|tapes are rated 12500 ftpi, a little lower than the QIC-80 ratings
|of 14700 ftpi, which implies the data written for the QIC-80 format
|might be a little too dense for the QIC-40 tapes. One small backup
|I did compared okay, but I wonder how generally reliable QIC-40
|tapes are when they are formatted and written with a QIC-80 tape
|drive?
|
|Does anyone have comments on reliabilty of QIC-40 tapes formatted
|and written with a QIC-80 tape drive?

QIC-40 tapes formatted on QIC-80 drive?

Post by Terry Nort » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

This is a private reply. Please do not post.

Russ,

Most of the later 3M DC-2000 cartridges used the same base media as
the DC-2080 and DC-2120, but were not tested to the higher densities
required for QIC-80 (14,700fpri).  Knowing this, we often used
DC-2000's for testing product since our cost was $2 for the DC-2000.

cheers,
twn

>I recently got some free QIC-40 tapes (3M DC-2000 and Global G2000).
>I formatted one of them on a Colorado Jumbo 250 QIC-80 tape drive
>and got about 80 Mb uncompressed capacity. That's proprotional to
>the tape length (205 ft vs 307 ft for QIC-80). I notice the QIC-40
>tapes are rated 12500 ftpi, a little lower than the QIC-80 ratings
>of 14700 ftpi, which implies the data written for the QIC-80 format
>might be a little too dense for the QIC-40 tapes. One small backup
>I did compared okay, but I wonder how generally reliable QIC-40
>tapes are when they are formatted and written with a QIC-80 tape
>drive?

>Does anyone have comments on reliabilty of QIC-40 tapes formatted
>and written with a QIC-80 tape drive?

1. Format QIC-40 --> QIC-80

I bought a Reveal TB1100. It's an 800 meg Travan1 unit
and is supposed to read, write, and format DC2120
tapes at QIC-80 for 250 meg compressed. I've got a bunch
of DC2120 tapes formatted at QIC-40 from my old Colorado
Jumbo 120. The Reveal drive will not reformat these.
It came with Arcada 5.0 tools.
The message I get is says that the tape inserted cannot
be formatted in this drive.
A friend has a Jumbo 250 and it will reformat these
tapes fine but I need to be able to do it on my unit.
  Reveal tech support never responds.
  Does anyone know how I can format these tapes in
  my unit?   I think it's the same as the Iomega Ditto
  800.

2. DCL & Dates

3. Floppy Tape/QIC-80 Programming, QIC-117 spec.

4. Notes Mail Problem

5. Problem formatting QIC-80 tapes

6. Mouse pointer disappeared.....

7. Archive Qic-40 Tape Drive

8. Nortel Meridian Voicemail

9. compatability - QIC 3020 /QIC 80

10. Desparate Request: QIC-80 Multiple Tape Span Problem

11. QIC-80 Multiple Tape Span Problem

12. 'Soft-Repairing' a Trakker 250(Qic-80) Tape?

13. Travan/QIC-80 Tape Drivers Info??