NT and Dynamic Reconfiguration Software for RAID Systems

NT and Dynamic Reconfiguration Software for RAID Systems

Post by Carl Wolfsto » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am attempting to do some research for a customer.  Presently I see
several RAID Hardware Vendors that state they can do "Dynamic Growth" and
"Dynamic Reconfiguration" .  I see that this means you can add additional
storage or reconfigure on the fly under NT.  This seems to be very similar
to Veritas Software.

Carl

Headlands Associates              Voice: (415) 592-1912
P.O. Box 1324                          Fax:   (415) 592-2236
San Carlos, CA 94070-7324

Post by Nik Simps » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I am attempting to do some research for a customer.  Presently I see
>several RAID Hardware Vendors that state they can do "Dynamic Growth" and
>"Dynamic Reconfiguration" .  I see that this means you can add additional
>storage or reconfigure on the fly under NT.  This seems to be very similar
>to Veritas Software.

So what is your question?

--
|--------------------------------------------------|

|  Intergraph Computer Systems                     |
|--------------------------------------------------|

1. Firewire RAID 0 or RAID 1 (dynamic disks) on Win2K

Just today I discovered a method to convert firewire removable drives
to dynamic disks in Windows 2000 so I could stripe, mirror, etc. them.
 Since I scoured the internet for hours trying to find resources on
this topic and came up empty, here is my outline/how to.

This solution only works if you are using IDE/ATA drives with external
firewire enclosures.

--------
Side Comment:
If you are serious about using your firewire drives, do not use
Charismac's Raid Toolkit for Windows 2000.  It is unfortunately, very
VERY buggy and just basically badly written software.  I am
formulating an email to send to them about their product's issues.
--------

How to setup a firewire array, stripe, RAID 0, RAID 1, in Windows
2000:

Win2k views all firewire drives as removable media, so you can not
convert them to dynamic disks, thus you can not stripe, mirror, etc.
To get around this, you must fool Disk Manager.

I purchased two ATA100 hard drives and two firewire enclosures.
Take one at a time, or both of the drives at once and plug them into
the IDE/ATA bus.
Run Disk Manager and convert them to Dynamic Disks.
Put the drives into the firewire enclosures.
You will now be able to stripe, mirror, etc. the drives.

-darren

2. Question on Extended X-10 devices

3. Can NT use a tape drive not on an NT system?

4. Networking win98 and win2k...

5. Hardware RAID vs. Software RAID

6. Time daemon available?

7. RAID 7 systems in Japan -- Upcoming Tokyo RAID 7 Seminars

8. A filtering rule in sendmail.mc while using sendpage

9. CDC 1700/System 17/System 18 system software needed

10. Looking for dynamic instruction mix of 80x86 software

11. Dynamic, run-time, software patch ??

12. Anyone have experience with developing dynamic loaders for embedded system?

13. Use of "symbolic" and/or "dynamic" languages in embedded systems