Possible problem w/new Orb 2.2gig ext. drive

Possible problem w/new Orb 2.2gig ext. drive

Post by Dale Alexande » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I recently purchased a new Castlewood external Orb drive that connects
through my computer's parallel port. Installation performed without a
hitch and the drive was properly configured by the included software.
However, when I atempted to use it for the first time to perform a
backup of data from my C:\ drive, the brand-new diskette purchased from
a well-known and highly-reputable mail-order company caused the drive
heads to rotate without stopping. I attempted to eject the diskette so
I could try another, but the machine would not eject it. I finally had
to force the opening, pulled the diskette from the tray, and proceeded
to shut down and reboot my computer. The drive stopped after the reboot,
but now I'm wary about using the peripheral device for anything besides
an expensive paperweight. Any suggestions about this situation? I tried
searching through the troubleshooting section of Castlewood's manual as
well as doing a search on their website for similar reports, but with

correct this minor difficulty.

                      http://www.help.com/

Possible problem w/new Orb 2.2gig ext. drive

Post by dmko.. » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hey, have you thought about calling Castlewood?

> I recently purchased a new Castlewood external Orb drive that connects
> through my computer's parallel port. Installation performed without a
> hitch and the drive was properly configured by the included software.
> However, when I atempted to use it for the first time to perform a
> backup of data from my C:\ drive, the brand-new diskette purchased
from
> a well-known and highly-reputable mail-order company caused the drive
> heads to rotate without stopping. I attempted to eject the diskette so
> I could try another, but the machine would not eject it. I finally had
> to force the opening, pulled the diskette from the tray, and proceeded
> to shut down and reboot my computer. The drive stopped after the
reboot,
> but now I'm wary about using the peripheral device for anything
besides
> an expensive paperweight. Any suggestions about this situation? I
tried
> searching through the troubleshooting section of Castlewood's manual
as
> well as doing a search on their website for similar reports, but with

> correct this minor difficulty.

>                       http://www.help.com/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Possible problem w/new Orb 2.2gig ext. drive

Post by Bill » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

How long did it rotate?  Seems a lot of stuff is put into cache before
the drive.  I've seen it take several minutes to stop writing to the
disk, and that was with just a few hundred megs.

> I recently purchased a new Castlewood external Orb drive that connects
> through my computer's parallel port. Installation performed without a
> hitch and the drive was properly configured by the included software.
> However, when I atempted to use it for the first time to perform a
> backup of data from my C:\ drive, the brand-new diskette purchased from
> a well-known and highly-reputable mail-order company caused the drive
> heads to rotate without stopping. I attempted to eject the diskette so
> I could try another, but the machine would not eject it. I finally had
> to force the opening, pulled the diskette from the tray, and proceeded
> to shut down and reboot my computer. The drive stopped after the reboot,
> but now I'm wary about using the peripheral device for anything besides
> an expensive paperweight. Any suggestions about this situation? I tried
> searching through the troubleshooting section of Castlewood's manual as
> well as doing a search on their website for similar reports, but with

> correct this minor difficulty.

>                       http://www.help.com/

Possible problem w/new Orb 2.2gig ext. drive

Post by Moss Agat » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> How long did it rotate?  Seems a lot of stuff is put into cache before
> the drive.  I've seen it take several minutes to stop writing to the
> disk, and that was with just a few hundred megs.

My dynamo does that. I accidentally took a disk out while it was
writing to it and it kind of messed things up till I shut everything
down and restarted the computer and MO drive. It's all fine now, and I
am more careful about making sure the "in use" light goes off before I
try to remove the disk. Live and learn.

Fortunately the DynaMO is well-made enough to have overcome my mistake
with a mere shut down a reboot.

Moss

--
Moss