FRAM, nvSRAM or flash.

Post by RUE6 » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Is there anyone who knows anything about these types of PARALELL
memories? Am i living in a world of dreams if I hope any manufacturer
can cope with any of these demands?

COMPONENT REQUIRED:

FRAM:   >64 kbyte

nvSRAM: >64 kbyte
        Small packet size please.... (no Dallas Powercap modules crap!)

Flash:  >64 kbyte
        Maximum byte write time <200 us.
        (Note; *NOT* the write duratation min time, typ 6us)

...:    Any other ideas. No external battery-backuped RAM memories.

We don't need to check that data written is correct, but it need to be
fast. (5 kHz byte write rate for 14 sec.)

/Nils Danielsson

FRAM, nvSRAM or flash.

Post by Kendall Castor-Perr » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Have you looked at the Simtek non-volatile parts?  Quite large fast non-
volatiles available in small packages.

Quote:>Is there anyone who knows anything about these types of PARALELL

--
Kendall Castor-Perry

FRAM, nvSRAM or flash.

Post by jim granvill » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Is there anyone who knows anything about these types of PARALELL
> memories? Am i living in a world of dreams if I hope any manufacturer
> can cope with any of these demands?

No, but they are just comming on stream...

Quote:> COMPONENT REQUIRED:

> FRAM:   >64 kbyte

 Not available in large sizes...

Quote:

> nvSRAM: >64 kbyte
>         Small packet size please.... (no Dallas Powercap modules crap!)

Does not sound cheap...

Quote:

> Flash:  >64 kbyte
>         Maximum byte write time <200 us.
>         (Note; *NOT* the write duratation min time, typ 6us)

There are two families ( from my ATMEL book )

 29C010 = Page Mode, needs 150uS PAUSE to enable a Max 10mS WRITE, so
you need to buffer
50 Bytes from a data rate basis, or 128 Bytes to match the 010 Page.

 49F010 is better suited, 4 CPU Write cycles + 50uS max, per byte, no
buffering. Well inside your 5KHz.
 Simple and cheap.
 Bulk Erase is slow.

 More esoteric is the DATAFLASH series, which is a SPI LARGE Flash part,
with interleaved write.
 Best suited to sequentially loaded data, and 5KHz is not too high for
SPI.
 This looks ideal for recorder type products, and also for single sided
PCB designs, with
 small controllers, like the 89C2051.

Quote:> ...:    Any other ideas. No external battery-backuped RAM memories.

> We don't need to check that data written is correct, but it need to be
> fast. (5 kHz byte write rate for 14 sec.)

> /Nils Danielsson

- jim

--
======= Manufacturers of Serious Design Tools for uC and PLD  =========
= Optimising Modula-2 Structured Text compilers for ALL 80X51 variants