'Tall, thin' versus 'short, fat' architects/designers

'Tall, thin' versus 'short, fat' architects/designers

Post by Henry Bak » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone have the canonical reference to where this phrase came from?

I believe that it was used in the vlsi community back when Mead & Conway's
book came out, but I don't know if this phrase was actually in the book,
or whether it was used in a paper or a conference.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Post by Chris Perrot » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone have the canonical reference to where this phrase came from?

I've seen it used in the context of software architecture. Was it in
something
by Barry Boehm?
--
Chris Perrott

Post by Jurgen Schul » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone have the canonical reference to where this phrase came from?

> I believe that it was used in the vlsi community back when Mead & Conway's
> book came out, but I don't know if this phrase was actually in the book,
> or whether it was used in a paper or a conference.

> Thanks in advance for any help on this.

I think most architects start out as tall & thin, but then over the
years of dining on company lunches & in-activity, they end up short &
fat.

Regards, Jurgen.

Post by Robert J Fowl » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

>> Does anyone have the canonical reference to where this phrase came from?

>> I believe that it was used in the vlsi community back when Mead & Conway's
>> book came out, but I don't know if this phrase was actually in the book,
>> or whether it was used in a paper or a conference.

>> Thanks in advance for any help on this.

It's not in the book (I just spent a couple of minutes flipping
through it.), but it was used by Mead within the first five minutes of
the introductory lecture of the short courses he gave based on the
book.

-- Rob