Reduction Machine and Lambda Calculus (HLA)

Reduction Machine and Lambda Calculus (HLA)

Post by Eric Chom » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 02:31:23

I just answered a question about HLA or high-level architecture on another
thread. Somewhat related and just as successful (or lack thereof) was the
concept of a 'reduction machine' using lambda calculus. Does anyone know
where this research lead to? I believe that it was happening in Bonn,
Germany in the late 70s and really don't know anymore about it?

Eric

Post by Tony Finc » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 05:54:01

>I just answered a question about HLA or high-level architecture on another
>thread. Somewhat related and just as successful (or lack thereof) was the
>concept of a 'reduction machine' using lambda calculus. Does anyone know
>where this research lead to? I believe that it was happening in Bonn,
>Germany in the late 70s and really don't know anymore about it?

A combinator reduction machine was built in Cambridge in the early 80s,
called "SKIM", but at about the same time research into combinator
reduction on COTS hardware led to supercombinators, and then to the
G machine. Haskell's current implementation is baed on the STG machine.
You can find papers about all these things via Google or CiteSeer.

Tony.
--

FAIR ISLE: WEST VEERING NORTHWEST 5 INCREASING 6 OR 7. SHOWERS. MAINLY GOOD.

Post by Eric Chom » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 11:41:02

: >I just answered a question about HLA or high-level architecture on another
: >thread. Somewhat related and just as successful (or lack thereof) was the
: >concept of a 'reduction machine' using lambda calculus. Does anyone know
: >where this research lead to? I believe that it was happening in Bonn,
: >Germany in the late 70s and really don't know anymore about it?

: A combinator reduction machine was built in Cambridge in the early 80s,
: called "SKIM", but at about the same time research into combinator
: reduction on COTS hardware led to supercombinators, and then to the
: G machine. Haskell's current implementation is baed on the STG machine.
: You can find papers about all these things via Google or CiteSeer.

Thank you, I will check it out.

Eric

: Tony.
: --

: FAIR ISLE: WEST VEERING NORTHWEST 5 INCREASING 6 OR 7. SHOWERS. MAINLY GOOD.