CS4235 lowcost ISA audio codec - availability & alternative

CS4235 lowcost ISA audio codec - availability & alternative

Post by jswarri » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:25:40

Hi,

 I am trying to design an embedded audio player and I cant seem to
find any audio codecs anymore with 8b / 16b parallel interface ( 16b
resolution desirable). I have located some data on Cirrus CS4235 but I
dont know if its still active. Also it does a whole lot more than I
want ( I just want basic codec, with some filter is a plus). Can
anybody advise on CS4235 and/or any suitable low-cost alternatives?

Thanks,
Jai Shanker W
Shreyanet Pvt Ltd.
Bangalore INDIA
jswarrier at shreyanet dot com

Post by Keith Braffor » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 01:20:54

> Hi,

>  I am trying to design an embedded audio player and I cant seem to
> find any audio codecs anymore with 8b / 16b parallel interface ( 16b
> resolution desirable). I have located some data on Cirrus CS4235 but I
> dont know if its still active. Also it does a whole lot more than I
> want ( I just want basic codec, with some filter is a plus). Can
> anybody advise on CS4235 and/or any suitable low-cost alternatives?

You'd be better off, I think, going to a serial DAC with I2S format.
Then you get a ton of choices and you can put TI's TAS3001 inline
with the data for equalization or dynamic range compression.

If you absolutely have to have a parallel bus that makes the audio device
look like a memory device you'd be well served to add a FIFO and use
a CPLD to read from the FIFO in parallel and shift the data out to the
DAC or TAS3001 in I2S format.

--Keith Brafford

CS4235 lowcost ISA audio codec - availability & alternative

Post by Andrew Jackso » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 01:37:54

Quote:>  I am trying to design an embedded audio player and I cant seem to
> find any audio codecs anymore with 8b / 16b parallel interface ( 16b
> resolution desirable). I have located some data on Cirrus CS4235 but I
> dont know if its still active. Also it does a whole lot more than I
> want ( I just want basic codec, with some filter is a plus). Can
> anybody advise on CS4235 and/or any suitable low-cost alternatives?

So far as I know the CS4235 has been end-of-lifed: one of the projects that
I'm working on at the moment uses them and the last buy was a few months ago
as far as I remember.

There are few ISA based codecs left as manufacturers have moved to PCI
because the market is driven by desktop PCs.

    Andrew

Post by jswarri » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:57:23

> >  I am trying to design an embedded audio player and I cant seem to
> > find any audio codecs anymore with 8b / 16b parallel interface ( 16b
> So far as I know the CS4235 has been end-of-lifed: one of the projects that
> I'm working on at the moment uses them and the last buy was a few months ago
> as far as I remember.

> There are few ISA based codecs left as manufacturers have moved to PCI
> because the market is driven by desktop PCs.

>     Andrew

Thanks to all. I am going with a CPLD solution and serial codec. I saw

the cost of serial codec + interface logic, plus saving the design
effort. But I guess its better to avoid EOL parts in new design.

I'm trying to interface the codec to 8051/251 family of CPUs.
Simulation shows that I'm going to have trouble even with the faster
range of those uCs available today ( actually the problem seems more
to be with Keil /Archimedes compilers producing LOTS of ASM code from
C source). I'd really appreciate it if anyone who has worked on this

or maybe 251s at 16Mhz. Has somebody done it before.

Thanks,
Jai

Post by Keith Braffor » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:34:08

> Thanks to all. I am going with a CPLD solution and serial codec. I saw

> the cost of serial codec + interface logic, plus saving the design
> effort. But I guess its better to avoid EOL parts in new design.

> I'm trying to interface the codec to 8051/251 family of CPUs.
> Simulation shows that I'm going to have trouble even with the faster
> range of those uCs available today ( actually the problem seems more
> to be with Keil /Archimedes compilers producing LOTS of ASM code from
> C source). I'd really appreciate it if anyone who has worked on this

> or maybe 251s at 16Mhz. Has somebody done it before.

I finished a project very similar to what you are doing just a few months
ago.

My board used an embedded 80186 16-bit processor at 40 MHz with
an IDT 1K FIFO in the peripheral address space.  The output of the
FIFO was controlled by a Cypress 37032 CPLD that read the data
and serially shifted it into the audio chip according to the audio specs.

I only needed to maintain an average 320kbps throughput and also have
enough cycles left over to run a full TCP/IP stack and web server with
reasonably complicated device home page.  It works fine.

I'd guess that with a memory-mapped FIFO feeding a CPLD you should
have no problem getting whatever data rate you want.

--Keith Brafford

Post by Mike Dia » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 06:00:05

>Thanks to all. I am going with a CPLD solution and serial codec. I saw

>the cost of serial codec + interface logic, plus saving the design
>effort. But I guess its better to avoid EOL parts in new design.

>I'm trying to interface the codec to 8051/251 family of CPUs.
>Simulation shows that I'm going to have trouble even with the faster
>range of those uCs available today ( actually the problem seems more
>to be with Keil /Archimedes compilers producing LOTS of ASM code from
>C source). I'd really appreciate it if anyone who has worked on this

>or maybe 251s at 16Mhz. Has somebody done it before.

Yes it is dooable - I've made various digital delay systems for
loudspeaker alignment using the CS4231 (16 bit codec, 8 bit parallel
interface) with the configuration and DMAing being done by a regular
89C52. Yes it is *y tight for 48ksps stereo 16 bit and it is
necessary to overrev the '52 a bit (40MHz) lots of inline code (few
loops) mind you it would have been less hectic if I hadn't been using
DRAM as a storage medium (lotsa CASing and RASing).

1. ISA to audio codecs,

Hello,

I am designing an audio record and playback card for the PC, the card
will have eight channels total for simultanuous record and playback.
The quality of the audio is voice grade, so I am concidering using
telephony codecs, such as the Intel or TI 2916.  Since the codecs are
serial device I need circuitry to convert between the PC's ISA bus and
the codec's serial input/output.  The sampling rate is 8 KHz, so the PC
will be interrupted 8000 times per second in order for the software to
go grab samples and put samples.  I am afraid there may be flaws with
this design, I would appreciate your hints and thaughts.

Talal

2. A500 Hard Drive

3. Low bitrate compressed audio codec & microC combo?

4. Kansas City area roboticists

5. Audio codec 8051/251 interface

6. what are K-LINE and L-LINE?

7. DSP+audio codec for electronic musical instrument?

8. hd2 is not bootable.

9. audio codec

10. User Manual/Datasheet for ST7546 Audio codec by SGS-Thomson

11. Q4 '94 Availability of 20 GB Exabyte && NASA/GFSC MS conference

12. &&&& Concerning "Verilog Won & VHDL Lost?" &&&&

13. Looking for alternative to Crystal Audio DSP