RAID-10 vs. RAID-01 ?

Post by Martin Spot » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Is there any paper that compares the advantages of either RAID-10 or Raid-01 ?

Martin.
--
        martin "at" quickstep "punkt" dirnet "punkt" com

RAID-10 vs. RAID-01 ?

Post by John Brenton Rowel » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Since nobody replied I'll stick in my 2 cents:

I thought these were separate marketing terms for the same thing:
mirrored raid 0 arrays
i.e. (r0 r0 r0 ) , (r0 r0 r0 ) and mirror the two logical drives
I suppose it could be (r1 r1) (r1 r1) (r1 r1) and raid 0 the three logical
drives but I've never seen one.
Brent

>Is there any paper that compares the advantages of either RAID-10 or
Raid-01 ?

>Martin.
>--
> martin "at" quickstep "punkt" dirnet "punkt" com
>--
> Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just selective about who its friends are !

1. Theoretical Question...RAID 10 vs RAID 5

Quick question.

If I have a 6 member RAID 5 array, and a 10 member RAID 10 array (5 mirrors,
then striped), which is technically faster for both reads & writes? I know
that in general, more spindles is better for performance. I also know that
in general, RAID 5 writes take a penalty for computing and writing parity
across all the drives, at least compared to pure striping (RAID 0). However,
don't I suffer a write penalty by having to commit 10 writes in my 10 member
RAID 10 array? I know reading should be faster on the RAID 10 array because
for each of the stripe members, I have 2 options from which to read my data
from, and will usually come from the least busy spindle.

Basically, I'm just looking to settle a bet with myself :). I know there are
some other factors that go into the above, but assuming the arrays are using
the same hardware, same disks, and so on, I'm just looking for which should
give me more 'pure' IO capability.

Thanks in advance,
Don

2. ROM Scanner ...

3. More on RAID 0+1 ("RAID 10")

4. CDS Trellis V.32 Modems

5. RAID-10 ?

6. MapDrive & AddPrinterConnection how to question

7. Oracle Redo/Archive Logs w/T3 Raid 0+1 vs Raid 5

8. eigenvalue decomp

9. Hardware RAID vs. Software RAID

10. RAID 7 vs. Earlier Raid 4

11. RAID 10