SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post by kp » Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:22:06

Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

am late.
I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot

Post by Charles M. Eli » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 02:24:02

> Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

> am late.
> I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

> PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

> Thanks a lot

Sorry,

I don't mind helping someone with homework if they have made a effort
and are stuck.  I draw the line when the student submits nothing to
show that he/she has even tried to do the work.  The purpose of school
is not to turn in someone else's work--what do you learn from that?  I
also have to question the utility of assigning such a problem.  I
think the professor is out of touch with reality or is a *.
Also, without considerable research, I cannot design such a counter
using only NAND gates--not that I would want to.

Charles

Post by Jim Thompso » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 02:33:34

>> Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

>> am late.
>> I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

>> PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

>> Thanks a lot

>Sorry,

>I don't mind helping someone with homework if they have made a effort
>and are stuck.  I draw the line when the student submits nothing to
>show that he/she has even tried to do the work.  The purpose of school
>is not to turn in someone else's work--what do you learn from that?  I
>also have to question the utility of assigning such a problem.  I
>think the professor is out of touch with reality or is a *.
>Also, without considerable research, I cannot design such a counter
>using only NAND gates--not that I would want to.

>Charles

You can't?  Sheeeesh!  I'm an analog designer and I can.  Ever heard
of master-slave.  Takes 9 2-in-nands (one used as an inverter) to make
a D-flop.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

I love to cook with wine.      Sometimes I even put it in the food.

SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post by Peter Alfk » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 02:43:48

If your homework is too tough,
and the time just flies away,
thinking hard is not enough,
click: comp.arch.fpga.

There you find those friendly souls,
Austin, Philip, Peter, Ray
filling in your knowledge holes,
making problems go away.

But learning is for you to do,
even if it hurts the brain.
The one that has to learn is you.
There is no substitute for pain.

If you want to learn design
don't treat homework just as play.
Real life is not benign,
and you'll have to earn your pay!

sooner or later...

Peter Alfke
(originally posted a few months ago, but bears repeating.)

> Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

> am late.
> I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

> PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

> Thanks a lot

SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post by Peter Alfk » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 03:44:01

More constructively,
your professor wants you to:
1.  realize that you need four cascaded flip-flops,
2.  then "re-invent" the master/slave flip-flop,
        which you can also find in old TTL databooks (7474).

Maybe an interesting learning experience,
kind of like the boy-scout test of starting a fire without matches...
Have fun !

Peter Alfke
==============================

> If your homework is too tough,
> and the time just flies away,
> thinking hard is not enough,
> click: comp.arch.fpga.

> There you find those friendly souls,
> Austin, Philip, Peter, Ray
> filling in your knowledge holes,
> making problems go away.

> But learning is for you to do,
> even if it hurts the brain.
> The one that has to learn is you.
> There is no substitute for pain.

> If you want to learn design
> don't treat homework just as play.
> Real life is not benign,
> and you'll have to earn your pay!

> sooner or later...

> Peter Alfke
> (originally posted a few months ago, but bears repeating.)

> > Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

> > am late.
> > I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post by Pete Frase » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 04:26:14

Quote:> More constructively,
> your professor wants you to:
> 1.  realize that you need four cascaded flip-flops,
> 2.  then "re-invent" the master/slave flip-flop,
>         which you can also find in old TTL databooks (7474).

> Maybe an interesting learning experience,
> kind of like the boy-scout test of starting a fire without matches...

I got thrown out for that.

Potassium Permanganate and glycerine which spontaneously
combusts and gets hot enough to light the Magnesium, which
is hot enough to light the thermite.

I thought it was impressive.

Post by Mac » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 07:04:27

> Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

> am late.
> I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

> PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

> Thanks a lot

Everbody is assuming that this is a clock divider. But it could be an
arithmetic divider.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Mac

Post by Luhan Mona » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:21:56

>>More constructively,
>>your professor wants you to:
>>1.  realize that you need four cascaded flip-flops,
>>2.  then "re-invent" the master/slave flip-flop,
>>        which you can also find in old TTL databooks (7474).

>>Maybe an interesting learning experience,
>>kind of like the boy-scout test of starting a fire without matches...

> I got thrown out for that.

> Potassium Permanganate and glycerine which spontaneously
> combusts and gets hot enough to light the Magnesium, which
> is hot enough to light the thermite.

> I thought it was impressive.

Hey, how about amonium-tri-iodide?  15 molar amonia and iodine crystals.
  Make a slurry but dont let it dry out until you want it to explode.
(we had a lot of fun painting this stuff in dorm-room locks)

--
Luhan Monat, "LuhanKnows" At 'Yahoo' dot 'Com'
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post by Ben Bradle » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 10:54:17

comp.lang.vhdl,
comp.arch.arithmetic,
comp.arch.fpga,
sci.electronics.design, and
comp.lang.verilog thusly:

>>> Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

>>> am late.

   An honest request for the answer to a homework assignment - I don't
think I've ever seen this before!

Quote:>>> I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

>>> PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

>>> Thanks a lot

>>Sorry,

>>I don't mind helping someone with homework if they have made a effort
>>and are stuck.  I draw the line when the student submits nothing to
>>show that he/she has even tried to do the work.  The purpose of school
>>is not to turn in someone else's work--what do you learn from that?

   He learns, at a low level, how to cheat the system. Of course if
there's anywhere that the phrase "you're only cheating yourself"
totally applies, it's in school.

Quote:>>I
>>also have to question the utility of assigning such a problem.

   Perhaps it reinforces the concept that you can build any logic
device out of a sufficient number of NAND (or NOR) gates?

Quote:>>I
>>think the professor is out of touch with reality or is a *.

   That's surely true of some professors, but how can you tell that
just from what the OP said?

Quote:>>Also, without considerable research, I cannot design such a counter
>>using only NAND gates--not that I would want to.

   As Jim said, it's not a big deal at all. Would you rather use
LM339's? ;)

Quote:>>Charles

>You can't?  Sheeeesh!  I'm an analog designer and I can.  Ever heard
>of master-slave.  Takes 9 2-in-nands (one used as an inverter) to make
>a D-flop.

    I don't know if I'd have the patience to spend three minutes doing
it when I know I could get a schematic that I could easily convert to
all-NAND-all-the-time off a (don't tell the OP) "d-a-t-a s-h-e-e-t" in
less time than that.

Quote:>                                        ...Jim Thompson

   Bonus question(s): How many 74(xxx)00's (quad nand gate) does it
take to make the 4-bit divider using Jim's solution, and why is "12"
an incorrect answer?
-----
http://www.veryComputer.com/~benbradley

SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post by Brian Ingli » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 11:11:09

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:26:14 -0800 in comp.arch.arithmetic, "Pete

>> More constructively,
>> your professor wants you to:
>> 1.  realize that you need four cascaded flip-flops,
>> 2.  then "re-invent" the master/slave flip-flop,
>>         which you can also find in old TTL databooks (7474).

>> Maybe an interesting learning experience,
>> kind of like the boy-scout test of starting a fire without matches...

>I got thrown out for that.

>Potassium Permanganate and glycerine which spontaneously
>combusts and gets hot enough to light the Magnesium, which
>is hot enough to light the thermite.

>I thought it was impressive.

The establishment doesn't always like creative types -- did you demo
it or just explain it?

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis         Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    fake address                use address above to reply

SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post by Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti. » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 16:21:29

Quote:> I draw the line when the student submits nothing to
>show that he/she has even tried to do the work.  The purpose of school
>is not to turn in someone else's work--what do you learn from that?

How to be a manager?

Quote:>also have to question the utility of assigning such a problem.  I
>think the professor is out of touch with reality or is a *.
>Also, without considerable research, I cannot design such a counter
>using only NAND gates--not that I would want to.

counter? the OP asked for a multiplier. I could very well imagine
asking a sketch of a multiplier with an estimate of the amount of
gates involved. An easy solution would be a total 8->256 decoder
followed by a 256->5 encoder.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.veryComputer.com/
PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Post by Tweetlde » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:15:55

Quote:> > I draw the line when the student submits nothing to
> >show that he/she has even tried to do the work.  The purpose of school
> >is not to turn in someone else's work--what do you learn from that?

> How to be a manager?

> >   I also have to question the utility of assigning such a problem.  I
> >think the professor is out of touch with reality or is a *.
> >Also, without considerable research, I cannot design such a counter
> >using only NAND gates--not that I would want to.

> counter? the OP asked for a multiplier. I could very well imagine
> asking a sketch of a multiplier with an estimate of the amount of
> gates involved. An easy solution would be a total 8->256 decoder
> followed by a 256->5 encoder.

> Wouter van Ooijen

Ummm   take a look at the subject line of this thread.. the OP asked for a
4-bit binary divider... 4 R-S flipflops in a chain..   no need for decoders
(or maybe I missed something in a later post).
--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in the

SOS : 4-bit binary divider circuit PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post by Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti. » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:05:32

Quote:>Ummm   take a look at the subject line of this thread.. the OP asked for a
>4-bit binary divider... 4 R-S flipflops in a chain..   no need for decoders
>(or maybe I missed something in a later post).

Sorry, I mixed multiply and divide :) But are you sure he meant a
clock divider? It could also be a binary ALU-style divider.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl

Post by DJ » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:44:20

>Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

>am late.
>I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

>PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

>Thanks a lot

If I were your prof, and I caught you blatantly trying to get others to do your
thinking for you, I'd make you design it using nothing but BC547's, resistors
and diodes. That way you might l-e-a-r-n something. That is why you are at uni?

dj

Post by Kolja Sulim » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:14:48

> Can anyone send me a 4-bit binary divider circuit in this email :

> am late.
> I have to make this circuit only with NAND gates.

Your university probably has a synthesis tool for asics installed.
Just write your design in VHDL, remove all gates from the library but
the NAND gates and press the synthesis button.

Kolja Sulimma

Peter:
Applause for the poem....

1. Digital Root circuit using tree of 4-bit CLA's with Cout fed into Cin

Hi,

In order to generate  hexadecimal Digital Root  of a number (i.e,
sum-of-hexdigits until it reduces to a single hex number - a nibble)

        For  e.g 0x123a = 0x1 + 0x2 +0x3 +0xa = 0x10 = 0x1 + 0x0 = 1 is the
hex digital root of (0x123a)

I am planning to use tree of 4-bit Carry-Look-Ahead adders with the
Cout fed into Cin of the same CLA.

Question: Can I directly fed back the Cout signal to Cin at each CLA
to get the Digital Root .  Will it not form a combinational loop? Due
to feedback will it affect the next level CLA's o/p.

Thanks
lrl

2. Info needed: VT52 Viewpoint Terminal (ADDS)

3. Help Please! PIC & LCD (4-bit)

4. Trouble w/ Adaptec 2840 VLB SCSI card

5. 64 bit integer divide using 32 bit divider

6. Memory leak observed when used with stress_testing

7. SOS! Please help me.

8. Digitizing Tablet driver

9. Is the 64 bit ultra SPARC binary compatible with 32 bits SPARC v8?

10. Hamming code (or other) for 4-bit correction?

11. 32 bit divider

12. What Does A 4-bit Processor Cost?

13. 4-bit Lives ???