Uses for shared memory machines?

Post by marsh.. » Mon, 02 Apr 1990 18:54:00

Hello!

   I am taking a graduate class in computer architecture
and we are required to write a term paper. The topic is on comparing
shared-memory multiprocessors with local-memory multiprocessors.

   So far, I have loads of ideas for things to do with local-
memory multiprocessors, but am stumped on the shared-memory
machines. Does anyone out there have ideas for applications
that could get a benifit of running on a shared-memory
multiprocessor?

   Thanks in advance,

   Martin Marshall

#include <disclaimer.h>

Uses for shared memory machines?

Post by Stev » Mon, 02 Apr 1990 22:08:00

Quote:

>    Martin Marshall

Ask any physicist who uses a CRAY.

--

Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

1. Modelling contention on shared-memory machines

Hi,

Does anybody have any references on the effect of speculative
execution/instruction reordering/branch prediction on memory traces...

I'm trying to model memory contention in what is effectively a shared
memory machine, but have no idea how much detail I need to model in the
main CPU in order to maintain some semblance of accuracy.  Ideally, I'd
model as little as possible (the simulator is plenty slow enough
already, and the less extra coding the better :) ), but there is
obviously no point doing the simulations if the results are too inaccurate.

Thanks :)

JonM

2. tbutton.setstate & init

3. sgi/sun shared memory machines question

4. ICS with Nat on 2k server and 2k pro

5. Large Shared Memory Machines

6. simple raster graphics package

7. Shared Memory Processor Machines

8. DeskJet to ST questions...

9. Parallel Code for Shared Memory Machines

10. How to solve the problem about Using shared-memory modules?

11. shared memory vs nonshared memory vs protocols

12. Info on mimicking shared mem on dist mem machines

13. Shared access memory + MPI