Infineon C167-types

Post by Marc Reibe » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

I was looking for different Cs and finally decreed for a C167.
Now there are lots of different types of it available.
Here just a few, that I found :
SAB-C167-LM
SAB-C167-LMGA
SAB-C167CR-LMFA
SAB-C167CS-32FM
SAB-C167SR-LMGA
SAB-C167CR-L25MGA
SAF-C167CR-L25M
SAF-C167CR-LMFA
SAF-C167SR-LM
SAF-C167SR-LMGA
SAF-C167SR-LMFAX
SAK-C167CR-L33M
SAK-C167CR-LMFA
SAK-C167CR-LMGA
SAK-C167CS-LM
SAK-C167CS-LMGA
SAK-C167CR-LMGATR

Now Im wondering about the different names and I did not find any
explanation on infineons homepage.
Everything I know, is that the SR is an older one without can-bus, the cr
an older one with can-bus and the cs a newer one with can-bus, the L33M
runs at 33 MHz.
Am I correct in this ?
But what about the SAB SAK SAF and the LM LMGA LMGATR LMF ...

Thanx for any sugestions

ICQ-UIN : 42168505
Nick    : HMX

Infineon C167-types

Post by Urs Boeh » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Marc Reibel wrotes...

Quote:>Hi there,

>I was looking for different Cs and finally decreed for a C167.
>Now there are lots of different types of it available.
>Here just a few, that I found :
>SAB-C167-LM
>SAB-C167-LMGA

<snipped out a list of processors>

>SAK-C167CR-LMGATR

>Now Im wondering about the different names and I did not find any
>explanation on infineons homepage.
>Everything I know, is that the SR is an older one without can-bus, the cr
>an older one with can-bus and the cs a newer one with can-bus, the L33M
>runs at 33 MHz.
>Am I correct in this ?
>But what about the SAB SAK SAF and the LM LMGA LMGATR LMF ...

>Thanx for any sugestions

>GPG/PGP : <finger

I>CQ-UIN : 42168505

Quote:>Nick : HMX

Hi Marc,

SAB; SAF and SAK defines the temperature range of the microcontroller
SAB    0..70 Celsius
SAF   -40..85 Celsius
SAK   -40..125 Celsius

Some other devices
C167CR-LM     4kB RAM + CAN + PLL
C167SR-LM     4kB RAM + PLL
C167-LM           2kB RAM
C167CR-4RM  4kB RAM + 32kB mask programmable ROM(must be done through Infineon)

The C167CS is the biggest and newest device with 2 independent CAN-Busses.

But forget about the on chip flash versions of the chip. Infineon "phased
out of this kind of Flash-Technologie" and so the long anounced and patiently
expected on-chip-flash version of the C167XX aren't no longer produced and not
recommendet any longer for new designs.

If you want to work with this microcontroller try to get a Starter-Kit. They are
really
usefull and come along with a limited C-compiler and a lot of SW-support.

Greetings.
Urs

Infineon C167-types

Post by Brian Gear » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Marc Reibel wrotes...

>The C167CS is the biggest and newest device with 2 independent CAN-Busses.

>But forget about the on chip flash versions of the chip. Infineon "phased
>out of this kind of Flash-Technologie" and so the long anounced and
patiently
>expected on-chip-flash version of the C167XX aren't no longer produced and
not
>recommendet any longer for new designs.

Are you saying the the C167CS-32FM is not going to make it to the full
production stage? That would be very embarrassing for Infineon, and board
companies such as Phytec who have announced products based around it.

Infineon C167-types

Post by Urs Boeh » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>>Marc Reibel wrotes...

>>The C167CS is the biggest and newest device with 2 independent CAN-Busses.

>>But forget about the on chip flash versions of the chip. Infineon "phased
>>out of this kind of Flash-Technologie" and so the long anounced and
>patiently
>>expected on-chip-flash version of the C167XX aren't no longer produced and
>not
>>recommendet any longer for new designs.

>Are you saying the the C167CS-32FM is not going to make it to the full
>production stage? That would be very embarrassing for Infineon, and board
>companies such as Phytec who have announced products based around it.

Well the C167CS derivative without on chip flash will, as far as I know, and
Infineon told me, go into production. The Chip is available.
DAVE Support for the C167CS is also now available from the Infineon Homepage.
But the C167CS with on chip flash will not go into further production. If you
want to use this chip you're unlucky. Actually there should be the possibility to
make a last buy of the derivative with on chip flash if you're already finished
your design.
I have some SAK-C167CS with on chip flash at my workplace but for the final
design we're forced  to add a extern flash memory and an extern bus wich will
take some amount of space on the print.

Greetings Urs B?hm

Infineon C167-types

Post by Pietro F. Mag » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

says...

> >Marc Reibel wrotes...

> >The C167CS is the biggest and newest device with 2 independent CAN-Busses.

> >But forget about the on chip flash versions of the chip. Infineon "phased
> >out of this kind of Flash-Technologie" and so the long anounced and
> patiently
> >expected on-chip-flash version of the C167XX aren't no longer produced and
> not
> >recommendet any longer for new designs.

> Are you saying the the C167CS-32FM is not going to make it to the full
> production stage? That would be very embarrassing for Infineon, and board
> companies such as Phytec who have announced products based around it.

The C167CS-32FM was put in "freeze" till 2002 (that is what my
distributor says me). For the end of the year will be available the new
C167CS-LM (ROMLess).
This will be equivalent to the C167CS-32FM step DA (the first one with
CAN on port 8).

Best regards

--
dott. Ing. Pietro F. Maggi                        p.maggi AT studiomaggi DOT com
http://www.studiomaggi.com/

Infineon C167-types

Post by Jim Granvill » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> Well the C167CS derivative without on chip flash will, as far as I know, and
> Infineon told me, go into production. The Chip is available.
> DAVE Support for the C167CS is also now available from the Infineon Homepage.
> But the C167CS with on chip flash will not go into further production. If you
> want to use this chip you're unlucky. Actually there should be the possibility to
> make a last buy of the derivative with on chip flash if you're already finished
> your design.
> I have some SAK-C167CS with on chip flash at my workplace but for the final
> design we're forced  to add a extern flash memory and an extern bus wich will
> take some amount of space on the print.

> Greetings Urs B?hm

Did they indicate what the problems / reasons for this move were ?
That puts the C167 squarely against the Dallas 80C390 - both have
Dual CAN, and need external memory.

I guess there's always the PSD4000 family, for bolt-on flash, but it
leaves the single-chip solution customers at sea...

-jg

Infineon C167-types

Post by Urs Boeh » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:

>Did they indicate what the problems / reasons for this move were ?
>That puts the C167 squarely against the Dallas 80C390 - both have
>Dual CAN, and need external memory.

>I guess there's always the PSD4000 family, for bolt-on flash, but it
>leaves the single-chip solution customers at sea...

>-jg

Well, as far as I know they phase out of the 0.65um/0.5um Flash Technologie at
Infineon.
The Development of new 0.25um Flash Technologie will go on.

Greetings Urs Boehm

Infineon C167-types

Post by Brian Gear » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Well the C167CS derivative without on chip flash will, as far as I know,
and
>Infineon told me, go into production. The Chip is available.
>DAVE Support for the C167CS is also now available from the Infineon
Homepage.
>But the C167CS with on chip flash will not go into further production. If
you
>want to use this chip you're unlucky. Actually there should be the
possibility to
>make a last buy of the derivative with on chip flash if you're already
finished
>your design.
>I have some SAK-C167CS with on chip flash at my workplace but for the final
>design we're forced  to add a extern flash memory and an extern bus wich
will
>take some amount of space on the print.

>Greetings Urs B?hm

Its not just an issue with having no internal program and non-volatile
parameter storage, there's about a 20% or so performance penalty for
operating from external zero wait state memory, since 32 bit instructions
can no longer be loaded in one cycle.

Infineon C167-types

Post by and » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

There is always the SGS 168 part with 256k flash.  This is just
becoming available in uk in production quantities.

Infineon C167-types

Post by Urs Boeh » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

<Snip>

Quote:

>Did they indicate what the problems / reasons for this move were ?
>That puts the C167 squarely against the Dallas 80C390 - both have
>Dual CAN, and need external memory.

>I guess there's always the PSD4000 family, for bolt-on flash, but it
>leaves the single-chip solution customers at sea...

>-jg

They phase out of the 0.65/0.5um Flash Technologie, but they will develop further
new products with  0.2um Flash Technologie. There are rumors that in production
they have too much problems with the flash. But perhaps it was a commercial
decision to use the production capacity for other products?

Greetings Urs B?hm

Infineon C167-types

Post by Urs Boeh » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>There is always the SGS 168 part with 256k flash.  This is just
>becoming available in uk in production quantities.

And they also announced the ST10F169 microcontroller. The ST10 microcontroller
seems to be compatible with exception of some pheripheral devices. It should be
possible to transfer programms from the C167 to the ST10 devices. Have someone
experiences with this?

Greetings Urs B?hm

Infineon C167-types

Post by Moritz Barsnic » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> <snipped out a list of processors>
[...]
> SAB; SAF and SAK defines the temperature range of the microcontroller
[...]
> Some other devices

To add to it, the suffixes "FA" and "GA" you discovered (not _you_,
Urs :->) are steppings of the same device, i.e. something like
production "revisions". "GA" is the most recent stepping,
incorporating some changes. (They are documented somewhere on the
Infineon web site. I received a PowerPoint presentation from our
local representative called "C167xR_FA -- GA-Step.ppt".

Furthermore, in the GA step, some variants are discontinued, e.g. the
mentioned Cs with Flash memory, and the plain "C167" type.

Greetings,
Moritz.   :)

--
All opinions expressed above are my own and not approved by my employer.

1. Infineon C167 Bootstrap Mode

Hi there,

I have to write a program for the Infineon C167 which is executed in
bootstrap mode, gets data from the serial port and flashes this data
to the external flash rom (2xATMEL 29F010B, connected as on the C167
starter kit).
Unfortunately, I'm not really experienced with this kind of things. I
have a working 32-bit-preloader which loads a 928-byte program and
executes it. But I can't get this program to even read the external
flash. Probably I'm not doing the right initialization of SYSCON,
BUSCON0 and ADDRSEL.

Does anyone have some assembly bootstrap code that can access the
external flash? Any help would be appreciated.

 Bye,

 christoph

2. 2950 stack rstp issue

3. TCP/IP Stack for Infineon C167

4. Excel and Double Precision

5. porting C167 to C167SR (Siemens/Infineon)

6. ibm thinkpad

7. Development tools for C167 Siemens/Infineon?

8. gnu (C) for Infineon C167?

9. Float data type handling in C167 (Tasking)

10. USB - difference between type A and type B connector

11. Infineon Introduces New TriCore and C166 Microcontrollers

12. Infineon XC164 Realtime Clock