HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?

HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?

Post by Rich Pasc » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I use HP Colorado Backup for Windows 95 (CBW ver. 1.60) with HP 35480A
DAT tape drive.  When the first tape is full, it prompts me for a second
tape.  Just recently, the amount of data on my hard disk passed what
will fit onto two tapes, and I naturally expected to be prompted for a
third tape.  However, CBW simply aborted when it got to the end of the
second tape!  (The session log is shown verbatim below.)  Since the tape
directory is written after the last file on the last tape, it was not
written, so my backup is useless.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this, other than the obvious kludge of
manually partitioning my backup into two or more separate sessions?

     - Rich

Operation: Creating backup set "Sat 6 Nov 1999", from disk to tape.
Date/time operation started: Sat 11/6/99   9:51:29 AM
Error/warnings during operation:
End of tape encountered before the end of backup set is reached.
Tape Sat 6 Nov 1999 Tape 2 of 3 - Operation continued on this tape.
End of tape encountered before the end of backup set is reached.
 90B(9870,3) - C:\archive\MAIL\staging\MI.ZIP ... Tape Full
1320(13408,3) - C:\archive\MAIL\staging\MI.ZIP ... Warning: This
operation has been canceled by the system.

Total number of errors encountered:  2
BYTES: 1510354782 FILES: 56568
Date/time operation canceled: Sat 11/6/99   4:12:38 PM

Post by Bob Willar » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I use HP Colorado Backup for Windows 95 (CBW ver. 1.60) with HP 35480A
> DAT tape drive.  When the first tape is full, it prompts me for a second
> tape.  Just recently, the amount of data on my hard disk passed what
> will fit onto two tapes, and I naturally expected to be prompted for a
> third tape.  However, CBW simply aborted when it got to the end of the
> second tape!  (The session log is shown verbatim below.)  Since the tape
> directory is written after the last file on the last tape, it was not
> written, so my backup is useless.

> Can anyone suggest a fix for this, other than the obvious kludge of
> manually partitioning my backup into two or more separate sessions?

>      - Rich

Go for the kludge.  I fought this problem for months, and blew lots
of time & money with HP's technical support folks with no reliable
solution.  {FWIW, my tape woes were with an HP QICtape, but the
backup problems are clearly software.}

Cheers, Bob

Post by eko » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>I use HP Colorado Backup for Windows 95 (CBW ver. 1.60) with HP 35480A
>DAT tape drive.  When the first tape is full, it prompts me for a second
>tape.  Just recently, the amount of data on my hard disk passed what
>will fit onto two tapes, and I naturally expected to be prompted for a
>third tape.  However, CBW simply aborted when it got to the end of the
>second tape!  (The session log is shown verbatim below.)  Since the tape
>directory is written after the last file on the last tape, it was not
>written, so my backup is useless.

>Can anyone suggest a fix for this, other than the obvious kludge of
>manually partitioning my backup into two or more separate sessions?

>     - Rich

HP is VERY unprofessional when it comes to backup software.
Invest in Novaback (from Novastor). They're cheap and the product
works well.
Quote:

Post by Artur Yelchishch » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>I use HP Colorado Backup for Windows 95 (CBW ver. 1.60) with HP 35480A
>>DAT tape drive.  When the first tape is full, it prompts me for a second
>>tape.  Just recently, the amount of data on my hard disk passed what
>>will fit onto two tapes, and I naturally expected to be prompted for a
>>third tape.  However, CBW simply aborted when it got to the end of the
>>second tape!  (The session log is shown verbatim below.)  Since the tape
>>directory is written after the last file on the last tape, it was not
>>written, so my backup is useless.

>>Can anyone suggest a fix for this, other than the obvious kludge of
>>manually partitioning my backup into two or more separate sessions?

>>     - Rich

>HP is VERY unprofessional when it comes to backup software.
>Invest in Novaback (from Novastor). They're cheap and the product
>works well.

Completely agree about HP - my Colorado BU have such habit as
resetting file creation dates (in about 1/3 of total amount) to year
zero (time, day and month are still intact), and HP support refuses to
even give me consultative help, asking for money during warranty
period!

I've heard Arcada/Seagate/Whatever Backup Exec is one of best, but
never tried this yet.

Artur Yelchishchev.

HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?

Post by kalev » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Its a question of money actually.
The old software product is dead (Colorado Backup Software) , and you can
ask for new software (Colorado Backup II). Depending on age of your product
you an ask for free software or for a nominal fee receive it. Its managed
for many countries through a so called "fullfillment center" in the UK.
By the way, the Colorado Backup II is actually "Backup Exec ver 4.2", but HP
branded.
So HP pays for you to use the new software.
I hope this helps.
jk
Quote:>Completely agree about HP - my Colorado BU have such habit as

Post by Artur Yelchishch » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Its a question of money actually.
>The old software product is dead (Colorado Backup Software) , and you can
>ask for new software (Colorado Backup II). Depending on age of your product
>you an ask for free software or for a nominal fee receive it.

Hi Kalev,

Thanks for responce, but unfortunately CBU-II doesn't work under
Win3.1 (what is where T-1000 is used)...

Regards,
Artur Yelchishchev.

HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?

Post by kalev » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Whats the version number youre using? 7.x something or earlier?
Let me know and Ill see if I have a newer verion of it still.( I should)
The date problem I do know about in the win 3.x version.
I would like to find out if a newer verions will fix it, I think the latest
was 8.x something.

(remove NOSPAMS above)

Cheers
jk
PS. Another tip of course to look into the possiblity to move away from
Win3.x, ehum

Post by Artur Yelchishch » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Whats the version number youre using? 7.x something or earlier?

Significantly earlier :-) - it says: "Colorado Backup Version 2.90,
Driver version 5.00, (c) HP, 1996"

Quote:>Let me know and Ill see if I have a newer verion of it still.( I should)
>The date problem I do know about in the win 3.x version.

Wow! You're first person I've found who knows anything about it!

Quote:>I would like to find out if a newer verions will fix it, I think the latest
>was 8.x something.

It would be really great - I don't want to switch to completely
different BU software because I have a couple of tapes filled with
data, and certainly don't like to reformat them and rebuild BU
DataBase - all what I need is only CBU bugs removed (I know, I know -
it's impossible, I know...)

Quote:>PS. Another tip of course to look into the possiblity to move away from
>Win3.x, ehum

No, thanks! At first - I'd prefer old & well-known bugs, not the new
ones, and second - if some program doesn't work correctly, I most
probably will try to replace this program, not operating system nor
hardware.

Thanks in advance!
Artur.

HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?

Post by kalev » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Artur-
I was referreng to a later build of the same software, not software on a new
platform.(the difference between Colorado "I" and Colorado "II"?)
I hoped you saw and understood that in prev msg. Tricky to know if you dont
mess with it on daily basis of course.
jk

Post by Bruce Holde » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.hp.hardware
> Subject: Re: HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?
> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:49:41 +0100

> Its a question of money actually.

<Snip>

Your message is very useful; I bought my Travan 3000 drive earlier this year.
Now that I have upgraded to windows 98 (oops- Windows 98)I have been obliged
to use the DOS program that came with it. I must say that H-P have tried. They
sent a new tape drive because it started to have problems formatting tapes
(Sony QTR3) in DOS, giving up just over half way, saying that there were too
many bad segments. This worked, (on the tapes that I thought had been damaged)
but now the new drive is showing similar problems and they are sending for the
old one back.
I think I read once that backups may be corrupted if the drive is not earthed
properly. On my machine the drives slide in on guides and I am wondering if
inserting the tapes is causing it to work loose and not connect to the chassis
well. Does anyone know if this is a problem and if it could result in failure
to read the tape and advice to format it? Any other leads?
Any advice would really be appreciated as it worked fine before and I have
spent hours and hours getting nowhere.

Douglas H.
The old software product is dead (Colorado Backup Software) , and you can

Quote:> ask for new software (Colorado Backup II). Depending on age of your product
> you an ask for free software or for a nominal fee receive it. Its managed
> for many countries through a so called "fullfillment center" in the UK.
> By the way, the Colorado Backup II is actually "Backup Exec ver 4.2", but HP
> branded.
> So HP pays for you to use the new software.
> I hope this helps.
> jk

HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?

Post by vas.. » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I also have a t3000 and usually the litmus test for this drive is that if it
works in DOS then the problem lies elsewhere. I didn't quite get it from
what you wrote. Does it work in DOS flawlessly, or are there problems there?

On a second note, O/T  jk says that " Backup II is actually "Backup Exec ver
4.2", but HP
branded." Does that mean that the Seagate Software can read tapes backed up
with HP Backup II software?

VASSILI

> > Newsgroups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.hp.hardware
> > Subject: Re: HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?
> > Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:49:41 +0100

> > Its a question of money actually.

> <Snip>

> Your message is very useful; I bought my Travan 3000 drive earlier this
> year.
> Now that I have upgraded to windows 98 (oops- Windows 98)I have been
> obliged
> to use the DOS program that came with it. I must say that H-P have tried.
> They
> sent a new tape drive because it started to have problems formatting tapes

> (Sony QTR3) in DOS, giving up just over half way, saying that there were
> too
> many bad segments. This worked, (on the tapes that I thought had been
> damaged)
> but now the new drive is showing similar problems and they are sending for
> the
> old one back.
> I think I read once that backups may be corrupted if the drive is not
> earthed
> properly. On my machine the drives slide in on guides and I am wondering
> if
> inserting the tapes is causing it to work loose and not connect to the
> chassis
> well. Does anyone know if this is a problem and if it could result in
> failure
> to read the tape and advice to format it? Any other leads?
> Any advice would really be appreciated as it worked fine before and I have

> spent hours and hours getting nowhere.

> Douglas H.
> The old software product is dead (Colorado Backup Software) , and you can
> > ask for new software (Colorado Backup II). Depending on age of your
> > product
> > you an ask for free software or for a nominal fee receive it. Its
> > managed
> > for many countries through a so called "fullfillment center" in the UK.
> > By the way, the Colorado Backup II is actually "Backup Exec ver 4.2",
> > but HP
> > branded.
> > So HP pays for you to use the new software.
> > I hope this helps.
> > jk

HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?

Post by kalev » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

ANSWER:
Of course, yes.

In fact youre riding 1st time on a "quasi-standard":
MTF Microsoft Tape Format, (but managed by Veritas for M$) According to my
info it was originally Maynard TapeFormat but *lets not* get into that
now....

The sucky part is that compression on cheap tape drives (read: Travan except
wanna-be-good NS,  versions) is done in software thus negating
standardisation when you find other parties or using bigger/newer versions
of a particular tape drive  platform using MTF. It therefore recommended not
to use compression in software for compatibilty reasons in cheap (read:
Travan) tape drives... I know..I know not an option...(WHAT?! this stinks.!.
see I said it before you)
Not a problem on DDS and upwards, since compression is autonomous. Is that
correct english grammar usage? (Anyways the point is that the compression
bit is not casing problems since the software doesnt touch it)

If Im off somewhere please let me know
jk

Quote:> On a second note, O/T  jk says that " Backup II is actually "Backup Exec
ver

Post by Bruce Holde » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.hp.hardware
> Subject: Re: HP Colorado Backup for Windows limited to two tapes?

> Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 02:38:49 GMT

> I also have a t3000 and usually the litmus test for this drive is that if it
> works in DOS then the problem lies elsewhere. I didn't quite get it from
> what you wrote. Does it work in DOS flawlessly, or are there problems there?

<Snip>

Yeah, I think the problem is hardware; good ole DOS was working fine, but soon
the problem reappeared even in DOS.
Thanks for your advice,
Douglas H

1. FS: HP Colorado T1000e external tape backup

HP Colorado T1000e external tape backup for sale.  Complete with original
documentation, software, parallel cable, three TR1 minicartridges and power
cable.  Up to 400 Mb of storage uncompressed, 800 Mb compressed assuming 2:1
ratio.  This unit was hardly used.  $35.00 obo plus shipping.

For more related items visit:
http://hometown.aol.com/jcs16587/myhomepage/business.html

2. Verify Stage of Backup Sloww

3. FS: HP Colorado T1000e Tape Backup

4. NFNF 1.1 is Here!

5. Any way can let me running an app. after I lose my login session from a 2000 Ser

6. HP Colorado Backup

7. CFP: FLAIRS'02 Special Track on Integrated Intelligent Systems

8. Colorado backup for Windows 95 (English)

9. Colorado Backup for Windows 3.1

10. Problems with Colorado Backup 151 and HP 1533a (win95)

11. Colorado 250MB tape: Windows software?

12. Colorado Tape Backup