Medical Information Bus (MIB) current status

Medical Information Bus (MIB) current status

Post by Ma » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 03:23:50

Hi, Folks. Sorry if it's somewhat off topic but I presume some fellows
here in some way work with medical devices. I would appreciate if
someone could point to articles or documents that present current
development status of devices and systems MIB compliant. At the time
IEEE P1073 standard was issued MIB was a promising technology but
apparently it didn't become as widespread as it was supposed/hoped to
be. Also at the application level it seems to me that HL7 offers
similar functionality and it seems to be being more widely deployed.

I would appreciate comments or pointers on the subject.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Elder.

Medical Information Bus (MIB) current status

Post by Scott Nowel » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:05:00

You might look at these sites.  The ieee1073 site seems to be fairly
current.  The Medical Device Communications  Industry Group site looks to be
2 years out of date.
http://www.ieee1073.org
http://www.mdcig.org/

Sounded good when it started, but I haven't seen much commercial activity.
Most vendor web sites from a google search seem to be gone.

Quote:> Hi, Folks. Sorry if it's somewhat off topic but I presume some fellows

Post by Heinz-Jürgen Oerte » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:20:17

> You might look at these sites.  The ieee1073 site seems to be fairly
> current.  The Medical Device Communications  Industry Group site looks to
> be 2 years out of date.
> http://www.ieee1073.org
> http://www.mdcig.org/

> Sounded good when it started, but I haven't seen much commercial activity.
> Most vendor web sites from a google search seem to be gone.

CAN in Automation, CiA <http://www.can-cia.org> has some standard device
profiles for medical devices
<http://www.can-cia.org/can/application/medical/>
Some major players have decided to use CANopen in medical devices.

Regards
 Heinz