FAQ?

Post by John C. Westmorela » Wed, 01 May 2002 16:13:07

Does this group have an FAQ posted somewhere?

TIA,
John

FAQ?

Post by Chris Morga » Thu, 02 May 2002 00:43:15

Quote:> Does this group have an FAQ posted somewhere?

It would have to be Frequently Argued Questions.

We even had a thread on just such a topic, go check it out on
Google. I know I and Del Cecchi contributed humorous but not entirely
unfactual submissions. I forget which thread it was.
--
Chris Morgan

   "Not so bad offer to discuss about"

                - Best recent email spam subject line

FAQ?

Post by Jeffrey Dut » Thu, 02 May 2002 00:49:30

Quote:> Does this group have an FAQ posted somewhere?

> TIA,
> John

The closest thing I know of to a comp.arch FAQ is John Mashey's RISC vs. CISC
posting that resurfaces on a semi-periodic basis (I guess this is about the
right time for the next sighting). It's a bit long and comes in several
incarnations, but you can find the most recent version by searching in
Google groups for the title "Yet Another Post of the Old RISC Post [unchanged
from last time]" or simply "RISC vs CISC John Mashey" and sort by date.

Aside from the RISC vs. CISC frippery, are there other topics in this group
that would really benefit from an FAQ? (shades of the canonical comp.arch
subject list from a few months back) If so, how would the FAQ differ from
the book "Computer Architecture a Quantitative Approach" by Hennessy and
Patterson? (maybe the first line of the FAQ should instruct to reader to
buy the book and read the first three chapters).

- Jeff Dutky

FAQ?

Post by Pete Zaitc » Thu, 02 May 2002 01:17:48

Quote:> [...] If so, how would the FAQ differ from
> the book "Computer Architecture a Quantitative Approach" by Hennessy and
> Patterson? (maybe the first line of the FAQ should instruct to reader to
> buy the book and read the first three chapters).

> - Jeff Dutky

The FAQ has to include debunking of major crackpot topics
in comp.arch, such as asynchronous circuits (what was the
name of the former SunLab director who had this idea fix?
He was replaced by Papandopolou IIRC). Such things are not
illuminated by H&P at all.

-- Pete

FAQ?

Post by Jim Garsid » Thu, 02 May 2002 01:47:58

> > [...] If so, how would the FAQ differ from
> > the book "Computer Architecture a Quantitative Approach" by Hennessy and
> > Patterson? (maybe the first line of the FAQ should instruct to reader to
> > buy the book and read the first three chapters).

> > - Jeff Dutky

> The FAQ has to include debunking of major crackpot topics
> in comp.arch, such as asynchronous circuits (what was the
> name of the former SunLab director who had this idea fix?
> He was replaced by Papandopolou IIRC). Such things are not
> illuminated by H&P at all.

I suspect you are referring to Ivan Sutherland et alia.
(AFAIK Ivan is still a director of Sun Labs.)

http://research.sun.com/async/

By all means debate it with those guys.

Without wishing to engage in an argument, there are folk out there
putting significant size asynchronous circuits into products, in
significant numbers.  The major player I'm aware of is Philips, whom I
expect are hard-headedly commercial about it.  There are others.

-- Jim Garside

FAQ?

Post by Arthur T. Murr » Thu, 02 May 2002 06:01:37

Quote:

> Does this group have an FAQ posted somewhere?

There is a somewhat outmoded, very _alternative_ FAQ still on-line at
http://www.crackinguniversity2000.it/Agora/7256/comparch.html (q.v.).

A.T. Murray
http://ai.createastandard.com -- voluntary Mind coding standards;
http://users.resentment.org/ai/you.html -- web-host your AI Mind;