Optical Disk problems under Windows NT Server 4.0

Optical Disk problems under Windows NT Server 4.0

Post by Masquerad » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

My company is creating a software package which will archive files to
optical media. What I've noticed in other (non
custom-software) experiments, as well as in our
software development efforts, are the following two problems:

1) If there is no optical disk in the drive when the system is started up,
the system will not read any disks, and

2) When switching disks, it seems that the system is caching the directory
information from the previous disk. In other words, if I have a disk in
the optical drive, then put in another disk (or flip the media to the
other side), NT still thinks that the original side of media is in the
drive. In order to force NT to refresh its directory contents of that
drive, I can tell NT to refresh the directory when there is NO MEDIA in
the drive (in between the time that the original media and the new media
appear in the drive), and then NT realized that there's some sort of
critical error and flushes its cache. Then, after inserting the new media,
if I tell NT to refresh, it does so properly.
        If I eject the 1st media, insert the second one, and THEN tell NT
to refresh, it assumes that the first media is still there, wreaking
havoc.

        Is there an updated optical driver available which will solve
(hopefully) BOTH these problems, or either one? Or is there some sort of
work-around I can use?

to this message. Thanks in advance!

Orrie Pelc
Kodak Health Imaging

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are solely my own and should not
reflect upon Eastman Kodak.

1. Looking for good/fast backup software for Windows NT 3.51 and 4.0

Windows NT's own backup utility isn't reliable. So we are looking for a
good backup software that matches the following:

        - available for Windows NT 3.51 and 4.0
        - works well with QIC drives like Tandberg TDC 4222 and
          with Archive Python with/without data compression
        - fast, reliable, good to handle
        - Ability to backup/restore network clients (Win95, NT Wks/Server)
        - german version would be fine, since our customers live here ;-)
        - unattended backup ... should run automatically

Any pointers ?! Please reply also through e-mail, thanks.

--

pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<<
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<<

2. Sending a file

3. New BAPCo Benchmark: SYSmark for Windows NT 4.0

4. OS/2 2.1 beta WIN-OS/2 support for french characters ??

5. USB on Windows NT 4.0

6. How to Run a Program as a service

7. MS Windows NT Embedded 4.0 Target Designer TIA!!!

8. Windows NT 4.0 killed my motherboard !!

9. IIS 4.0 For NT 4.0 Embedded

10. Backup for Windows NT Terminal Server

11. Share disk between two NT servers over SCSI RAID

12. Disk spanning software for Windows NT (and OS/2 and MS-DOS).