i2c Slave using PC-parallel port

Post by Calvin Cha » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Folks

Is there anyone out there has any experience in writing code using PC parallel
port to similate i2c slave?

Or can anyone points me to the right direction for such?

Regards

Calvin

i2c Slave using PC-parallel port

Post by David Brow » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Running a master from the PC parallel port is easy enough, but simulating an
i2c slave would be very difficult.  Your PC is going to have to spend all
its time watching the port - something you cannot guarentee with any sort of
windowing or multi-tasking system.  If you are running a DOS program and can
switch off all interrupts, then it could be done.  It *may* be possible to
do something using the parallel port's interrupt triggered by the incomming
i2c clock line, but you would need extremly fast interrupt response (that
means no windoze of any sort - QNX may be able to handle it, as may
RT-Linux - I don't know details of their timings).

Basically, unless you want to write tight polling loops in a DOS program,
forget it.  Use a microcontroller as the i2c slave and communicate with it
from the PC (using a serial port rather than the parallel port is easier).

>Hi Folks

>Is there anyone out there has any experience in writing code using PC
parallel
>port to similate i2c slave?

>Or can anyone points me to the right direction for such?

>Regards

>Calvin

1. PIC Parallel Slave Port to/from PC parallel port

Greetings All,

I would like to try to build a byte-wide bidirectional interface between a a pic
16f877 parallel slave port and a PC printer port capable of a couple hundred
Kbytes/sec.

Are there any dll's, add-ins or whatever that would allow me to communicate
bidirectionally with the parallel port in a way similar to a COM port in Visual
C++ or Visual Basic?

Are there any examples of this sort of interface you know of?

Thanks In Advance,
 Daniel Simon

2. Loosing network connection

3. Pic/Parallel Slave Port interface to PC

4. te koop : 2 keer msx

5. Using CCS compiler: PIC as slave on I2C bus --> anybody done this?

6. FA Compumotor Indexer

7. Devices with parallel slave port or alike

8. Address book and OLE

9. Parallel Port To PIC to I2C

10. C/C++ routines for PC driving an I2C bus via the printer port

11. using fet-tool in notebook without parallel port

12. using C to adress parallel port under Dos

13. Input measurement and output control using parallel port on MS-DOS or Windows with Forth