RAID MIB?

Post by Mark Atwoo » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

There doesnt seem to be an RFC RAID or storage device MIB, which I
find to be surprising. Where can I snarf up a good general storage
MIB, or get a good outline to build one from?

--
Mark Atwood   | Thank you gentlemen, you are everything we have come to

RAID MIB?

Post by RAIDE » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Mark,

I believe that would really be device specific... Could you tell us what
RAID controller you are trying to work with?

Regards,

RAIDER

> There doesnt seem to be an RFC RAID or storage device MIB, which I
> find to be surprising. Where can I snarf up a good general storage
> MIB, or get a good outline to build one from?

> --
> Mark Atwood   | Thank you gentlemen, you are everything we have come to

RAID MIB?

Post by Mark Atwoo » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I believe that would really be device specific... Could you tell us what
> RAID controller you are trying to work with?

The basics dont have to be device specific.

I have uncovered evidence that there was a IETF WG putting together a
RAID MIB, in 95, but due to the IETF's completely BONEHEADED policy of
deleting all drafts that dont advance to RFC status, all of their work
is wasted to me.

The device is a DG Clariion Telestore. DG apparantly doesnt do SNMP,
they want me to buy their very expensive proprietary RPC based
"solution" that works only with HP's MNS. Feh.

--

Post by Mark Johnso » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have uncovered evidence that there was a IETF WG putting together a
> RAID MIB, in 95, but due to the IETF's completely BONEHEADED policy of
> deleting all drafts that dont advance to RFC status, all of their work
> is wasted to me.

It's actually worse than that...we held a couple of BOFs and the Area
Director declared 'not enough interest' and refused to sanction a WG.
I think I still have some of the notes from the BOF sessions if you
want to take a look.
--
Mark Johnson                       USnail: Symbios, Inc

Voice: (316) 636-8189 [V+654-8189]         3718 N. Rock Rd.
Visit our web page: http://www.symbios.com Wichita, KS  67226

1. RAID MIB Mailing list formed

There's a mailing list formed for discussion of an SNMP MIB for RAID
devices.  The goal is to produce a basic proposal that could be turned
into an IETF standards track MIB this year.  If you are interested,
sent mail to the majordomo server at netcom, and ask to be on the
raidmib-l mailing list.  For instance:

    Subject:  subject is ignored
    subscribe raidmib-l
    info raidmib-l
    end

I'll probably post this periodically.

cheers,
-dB
--

2. Save $$$ when building

3. IBM 2105 MIB?

4. What about a general .Net Coding Standard

5. Medical Information Bus (MIB) current status

6. INFO TO CREATE CONST. ACCTG. SPREADSHEETS

7. Access to MIB object

8. dll error message

9. Row creation in MIB

10. RMON mib on pSOS SNMP

11. Faster? Raid 1+0 or Raid 5

12. Oracle Redo/Archive Logs w/T3 Raid 0+1 vs Raid 5

13. Firewire RAID 0 or RAID 1 (dynamic disks) on Win2K