Windows 98 recognizing second hard drive as removable drive

Windows 98 recognizing second hard drive as removable drive

Post by Lam Tak Ch » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

My computer PII 350MHz has 2 IDE hard drives - Quantum 2.1 GB (primary
master) as C drive and Seagate 420MB (primary slave) as D drive. I
recently replaced the Seagate disk with an Quantum IDE 4.3GB, let CMOS
automatically detect it and partitioned it as 1 partition and formatted
it. The 2 position ribbon cable connections are O.K. The problem is : Why
does Windows 98 recognize the new hard disk as D drive removable disk and
not D drive hard disk ? Many thanks if you would help me correct this
problem.

Regards,
Lam Tak Chi

Windows 98 recognizing second hard drive as removable drive

Post by Rex Davi » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Check your bios setup.  Some newer bios have the ability to mark a
particular port (like primary slave) as a particular type of device (like
removeable media HD).

Quote:> My computer PII 350MHz has 2 IDE hard drives - Quantum 2.1 GB (primary
> master) as C drive and Seagate 420MB (primary slave) as D drive. I
> recently replaced the Seagate disk with an Quantum IDE 4.3GB, let CMOS
> automatically detect it and partitioned it as 1 partition and formatted
> it. The 2 position ribbon cable connections are O.K. The problem is : Why
> does Windows 98 recognize the new hard disk as D drive removable disk and
> not D drive hard disk ? Many thanks if you would help me correct this
> problem.

> Regards,
> Lam Tak Chi

> --

1. Zip drive & Windows 98

Does anybody know how to install a parallell zipdrv with win98?
The win95 instalprogram cannont find any iomega zip drives?

e-mailed replies would be nice.

thanx,

Sander
--
| That's what I call a "Close Encounter" ! - Will Smith (Independence Day)
|

| WurreltWaaitWep : http://www.stack.nl/~sander/

2. A2000 floppy drive needed

3. 13 Gb hard drive is not fully recognized by Compaq Presario 4504

4. Sendmail and Reverse DNS ...

5. need networkable hard drive to hard drive backup program

6. Multiple ISPs and Multiple IP Ranges from Each ISP

7. Removable hard drive Question??

8. TACACS+

9. SCSI drive being recognized as the wrong drive

10. Does anyone need Removable media hard drives?

11. FS: Two WD 3.2 GIG Hard Drives