Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

Post by Cath Curr » Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:38:03

I'm on a Mac OS9.2 using Photoshop 7. I want to be able to edit tifs in Freehand 10 (by using the option key, double click scenario). Presently this is linked to Photoshop 5.5 and is not showing the Photoshop 7 application as an option to choose (it finds the installation folder and everything else). Its only happening on one mac, others work fine. I've reinstalled PS7 but with the same result. My user is reluctant for me to reinstall FH10 - has anybody come across this before? And if so, how did you manage to resolve it?

Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

Post by Wade Zimmerma » Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:43:27

If you have PS 7 are you saying you also have PS 5.5 installed? If so...well remove 5.5 and in doing so make sure you remove the preferences and then trash Freehands preferences.And start over.

You might try migrating to OS 10.2.6 and Freehand MX or Illustrator 10.

Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

Post by Ken Nielsen » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:44:11

Editing Tiffs in FH 10? I'm a long time user of Freehand and Photoshop but what you are trying to do escapes me.

Why don't you edit your Tiffs in Photoshop? Or, are you saying you are using the 'trace' tool on the tiff bitmap linked to your Freehand file?

Freehand is a vector program. Photoshop is a bitmap program, so I would like to know further about what you are doing and what it accomplishes.

Thank You,

Ken

Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

Post by Buko » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:05:08

Trashing the freehand prefs may enable you to do this by cleaning out all old data. Also you may need to add PS7 to the list of apps FH10 recognizes as helper apps. I think the latter may solve your problem.

Ken he doesn't to edit the tifs in FH he want's FH to open the tifs to edit in PS7.

Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

Post by Mark Hier » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:16:53

Freehand may not be able to determine that Photoshop is a packaged app...

Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

Post by JasonSmit » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:20:29

It seems to work with MX, possibly another one of many bugs in 10?

Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

My user is loathe to trash his freehand preferences so I guess its a catch 22. He just wants it left as is.....

Post by Rene Wallin » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:49:32

      My user is loathe to trash his freehand preferences...

You should let your user know: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't apply if it IS broke... <grin>

Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

Post by Buko » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:05:09

FH 10 just can't recognize PS7 I just tried.

doesn't even see an alias.

Editing PS7 tif files in Freehand 10

Post by Steve Vesperma » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:09:45

It's realy time to look at Freehand MX Cathy, although it's not bug free it does most things a lot better than FH10 do.

1. Freehand 10 crashes when import tif from server and apply a colour

Freehand 10 running on MacOS8.6 or 9.1 crashes when we import a tif from
either a Unix ( Solaris ) or Windows2000 server and then change the colour
of the tif. If you do the same operation on the local hard drive it works
ok. I have been able to reproduce this fault at 2 sites now, so I believe it
is a Freehand issue.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a solution or work around?

Warren Kramer

2. HELP !! Programatic change of framed page

3. freehand 10.01. no tif-import

4. Boarder Around Graphics

5. FreeHand 10 (Mac) crashing while editing text on a path...

6. File Name & Nexpress

7. Multiple .tif files to multipage .tif file?

8. Volume Control

9. Editing Illustrator 10 files in ID 2

10. Opening Freehand files (WIN) in Illustrator 10 (WIN)

11. Can Freehand 10 import CorelDRAW 9 files

12. Importing *.xsi files in to Freehand 10. Help needed.