Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Samuli_Sepp.. » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:19:03

Hello,

I have been having problems with both Indesign CS3 and CS4 and exporting large documents to a PDF-file. Exporting halts with error messages like: "Failed to Export the PDF file" in CS4 or "Error encountered while reading JPEG image" in CS3.

Problem can be corrected by simply closing InDesign and restarting it and opening the same file again. It appears that problem occurs more often the file is large. Any suggestions how to fix this problem?

I'm using Vista 64-bit and have 8GB memory.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Peter_Sp.. » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:10:23

How much free space on Drive C:? Emptying the temp folders may help.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Samuli_Sepp.. » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:24:27

And I also get error "Error encountered while reading JPEG image. Image may be damaged or incompatible. Resave the image with different settings and try again." when Exportin to PDf.

And if I just save/quit/reopen, I'm able to export the pdf fine. Sometimes I have to close other programs, before I'm succesful.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Samuli_Sepp.. » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:24:56

Free space on C is 20.7GB.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Peter_Sp.. » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 02:02:34

I have a vague memory, too that there are problems with JPEG2000 files, but that doesn't seem like the problem if you can get the same file to work after a restart. Empty the temp folders and see if it helps.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Dov Isaac » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 04:49:31

In terms of Vista 64-bit, InDesign only runs as a 32-bit applications meaning that it only has approximately 3 gigabytes of virtual memory available, regardless of how much physical memory is available on your system. Only 64-bit applications, such as Photoshop CS4 can really take full advantage of the 64-bit addressing.

I also encountered similar problems with exporting PDF from very large documents with InDesign 5.0.x on all versions of Windows. That problem seems to have gone away with InDesign 6.0, at least for my very large documents. I suspect that there may be some process memory leak problem that you are encountering. What got me around those problems was (1) save early and save often and (2) exit and re-enter InDesign before performing such large exports, making sure that you don't page through the document prior to doing the export.

- Dov

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by nocf.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 04:58:06

Every time we open a document that was created in InDesign CS3, edit it, and try to export or print it, we get generic failed errors. Whether printing to a printer or Acrobat, or exporting a PDF, we always get a failure.

We've discovered that if we go through and manually re-link all of the links, it fixes it.

Wow... what a dumb bug, and one that has cost us a horrendous amount of time on large projects.

Adobe, please release a fix for this immediately.

Thank you.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Kenneth_Ben.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 05:12:59

noc*: This is a user-to-user forum. Adobe reps don't necessarily
read these posts. No one here is going to release a fix. If you think
you've found a bug, please report it at

http://www.veryComputer.com/

I've opened plenty of CS3 files with linked graphics in CS4 and I
haven't seen any errors. Do your linked files reside on a network?

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by nocf.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:06:03

Thanks Kenneth - there is a post on this thread from someone claiming to be from Adobe however.

Yes you're right; we just realized this problem is far more severe than simply a CS3 compatibility bug. This is an intrinsic design flaw in the InDesign linking system. We used to use Version Cue CS3 until they unleashed VC4 upon us and nearly crippled our entire studio with that nightmare of a release. So we moved all of our data safely onto a shared network drive before we lost anymore of it in VC4, and apparently that's what has caused the linking problem. InDesign does not have relative links, and it does not properly indicate that it's the links that are causing the problem, leaving us to fend for ourselves and eventually figure out on our own that we have to re-link everything.

Disastrous. Someone needs to be fired.

Post by Peter_Sp.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:21:10

      InDesign does not have relative links

ID is smart enough to look in subfolders of the folder in which the document is stored, but how would you expect any application to find a link with an unspecified path on an external server? There's no way you'd be sure you have the right link if there were multiple files with the same name, which is not that unusual.

      and it does not properly indicate that it's the links that are causing
      the problem

Actually, it does. You should have received a warning when the file was opened that the links were missing. I know because that feature was missing in early pre-release versions and I fought a hard battle to get it restored. Missing links are also highlighted in the links panel and in pre-flight. If you don't know you have missing or modified links it's because you've turned off features and ignored a warning on open.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by damian_lamart.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:34:19

I'm encountering a pdf exporting issue where the exported pdf file is way too high in file size. I've tried reducing all the settings to intolerable settings and file size is still not changing. I've tried to reduce the file size in preview but this only seems to increase the size.
I don't have acrobat pro so I can't go in to the pdf and remove all the metadata, to reduce the size. I never had this problem with Cs2. Any ideas out there?

thanks

Damian

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Kenneth_Ben.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:58:15

Quote:> there is a post on this thread from someone claiming to be from Adobe
> however.

User-to-user doesn't mean Adobe employees are excluded. It means that
this is people helping people, maybe even some of them from Adobe. It
also means that no one here is going to fix the software for you.

Does the problem go away if you get your files off the network? Network
file linking problems are pretty common, and the simplest workaround is
to stop working through the network.

Quote:> Disastrous. Someone needs to be fired.

User-to-user also means that ranting gets you ignored.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by nocf.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:29:26

Hi Peter & Kenneth,

Many programs understand relative paths. If I move a project directory (and keep all its subdirectories intact), opening up that project in InDesign should result in no differences to me. Instead, I have to re-link each file that already exists in the projects subfolder. Why? This makes no sense. Call it ranting if you want, but this seems like a pretty major oversight to me. I am a paying customer and when Adobe introduces a bug or misses such a critical feature, I have every right to complain.

And yes, I realize that InDesign has an area where it warns you about missing links (the... uhh... *Links* panel). I have been using InDesign since it was introduced (and was a very vocal advocate of it over Quark), it's just that this notification function *does not work* in this particular instance. There is NO visual clue as to why you are not able to export or print anything, and the error simply states itself as an error and thats it. Several of the people in my studio spent several hours today all struggling with the same problem until someone stumbled upon the solution with trial and error. Not acceptable. If you think that it is, then you are not the target of my messages and I will thank you for your response but encourage you to spend your time replying to other threads that apply more directly to you.

Thanks.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Peter_Sp.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:16:27

Handling of missing links HAS changed, and in my opinion for the worse, but at the request of users, so that missing links no longer open the Links panel automatically or ask you to update on opening as they used to, though you should still receive a warning that the links are missing UNLESS YOU HAVE TURNED IT OFF IN YOUR PREFERENCES. It's on by default and you will find the option under the file handling section.

The rationale is that many workflows do not require that links be intact to accomplish the current editing, and longer documents with hundreds of missing links used to take many minutes to open while ID searched, essentially costing those users lots of money.

IF you have stored the links in the same directory as the .indd file, and IF you have moved the entire directory and IF you have enabled finding missing links when opening files, InDesign will find and update the locations for the links when the file is opened. If ID is unable to locate a link, because it is not in the current directory or a subfolder, you will see a warning message (in the past you would have had the option to browse for the missing files), and you must open the links panel if you wish to fix them manually.

In my opinion this is a very acceptable situation, and a great benefit to all types of workflows. I need to know links are modified or missing, so I've left that enabled. Those who don't need to know are no longer bothered or delayed. I suggest you pay a visit to the preferences and make sure that missing/modified checks are enabled, and if you are still having problems then your links aren't stored in the same directory, and that has always been an issue in ID when things get moved.

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

Post by Simon Warne » Fri, 13 Feb 2009 05:18:05

Works for me. Indesign does understand relative paths. If I move a
directory it still knows where the links in subdirectories go.

As you say, it makes no sense that it would work as you describe.

1. InDesign CS3, PDF Export Problems

OK...I have just upgraded from InDesign CS to CS3. Since then, when I
export to PDF, some solids are printing, some are not...and I
can't...for the life of me, find why!

I have checked Overprint settings, Object Styles Setting, made sure
that my layer was set to print...tried to convert SPOT to process,
made sure that there was NO transparency issues....I just don't know.

HELP!

2. Chinese characters from a PC

3. Create PDF from InDesign opens old CS3 instead of CS4

4. Why does 20 lines of text take up over 1 megabyte of space?

5. Still PDF export probelm in InDesign CS4 6.0.1

6. Quicktime playback

7. Indesign CS4 Export PDF Crash/Quits

8. Bookmark levels

9. InDesign CS4 Export and PDF Printing Problem

10. Bold/Small Capped text gets corrupted in PDF export from InDesign CS3

11. Export a TOC in InDesign CS3 as PDF

12. pdf export crash in indesign cs3

13. Wrap fails in pdf export, Indesign CS3 5.0.4