Alphas future? <66MHz/64bit PCI>

Post by w.. » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Andrew you are right. Digital does not have a 66MHz PCI. But they do have
64bit PCI much longer as SUN. Sun was one of the latest CPU producer which
announced the PCI bus. AFAIK, the 66MHz PCI is not standard and there are
no interface for this PCI. Also, what's the highlight of this PCI? Yester-
day we tried to use a UWD-PCI interface of Sun, without any success. The
support say change the slot form PCI66 to the normal PCI, may be the
interface will work.
The number of PCI adapters for Sun Solaris, I think that you can count
on one hand.

Regards Rudolf Wingert

Post by Andrew Harrison SUNUK Consultanc » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Andrew you are right. Digital does not have a 66MHz PCI. But they do have
> 64bit PCI much longer as SUN. Sun was one of the latest CPU producer which
> announced the PCI bus. AFAIK, the 66MHz PCI is not standard and there are
> no interface for this PCI. Also, what's the highlight of this PCI? Yester-
> day we tried to use a UWD-PCI interface of Sun, without any success. The
> support say change the slot form PCI66 to the normal PCI, may be the
> interface will work.

This is incorrect. 66mhz 64bit PCI is a standard and there are
a number though not huge number of cards available for it.

The most obvious being FC-AL and Gigabit ethernet adaptors which
need the throughput.

Quote:> The number of PCI adapters for Sun Solaris, I think that you can count
> on one hand.

This is again incorrect. Sun currently lists more PCI
adaptors for Solaris from Sun and 3rd parties than
Digital does for DU or OpenVMS. Sun currently offers
~20 PCI cards of different types and the third
part vendors offer a further 70 board of different
types.

So Sun may have started behind Digital
but we caught up quickly.

Of course I am dicounting the possibility
that you have 90 fingers on one hand but
I suppose that its always possible.

Regards
Andrew Harrison
Enterprise IT Architect

Alphas future? <66MHz/64bit PCI>

Post by w.. » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello Andrew,

could you send me a list of supported PCI devices? We have had a look for
a supported PCI FDDI UTP interface. It was very difficult to find a seller,
and we have to wait a long time to get some. So it would be nice to
see which PCI cards are supported. Please can you include with card
does support 64bit PCI and as you said 66Mhz.

Regards Rudolf Wingert

Post by Andrew Harrison SUNUK Consultanc » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello Andrew,

> could you send me a list of supported PCI devices? We have had a look for
> a supported PCI FDDI UTP interface. It was very difficult to find a seller,
> and we have to wait a long time to get some. So it would be nice to
> see which PCI cards are supported. Please can you include with card
> does support 64bit PCI and as you said 66Mhz.

> Regards Rudolf Wingert

http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/products/b010109_fddi_pci_64_sun...

They have, copper, single attached, dual attached 64 bit/66 Mhz
PCI adaptors with Solaris drivers.

Regards
Andrew Harrison
Enterprise IT Architect