Satellite not booting

Post by Steve.Spi.. » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Contact:   Tel: 3063  -  VSSG, 1st Floor, Bridge Street Plaza

Russ,

I had similar problems when moving to 7.2 upwards. Try setting these parameters
as I have;

NPAG_BAP_MIN=0
NPAG_BAP_MAX=0
NPAG_BAP_MAX_PA=1073741824

This is NOT in line with what Compaq have put on DSN/WIS in the only article
I could find relevant, except for the PA parameter which is set to the
recommended 1Gb value.

Setting the others to zero was the only way I could get any of my systems to
boot.

I had a call logged with the CSC in Reading (UK) asking for either a solution to
 the initial problem, or
an explanation of how it resolved the problem (if in fact it did) with the
settings shown above, but someone
decided that the call could be closed as the system was now working, and I
haven't had the time or the
inclination yet to chase it up. I did post here, you could try looking in the
DEJA archives for the discussions.

So, again, this worked for me, but I am unsure as to why, or whether it would
work for you, but it's worth a try.

Steve Spires
VMS System Manager
BT/Yellow Pages

cc:         (bcc: Steve Spires/YellowPages)

Satallite not booting

We installed a new Alpha 1200 running VMS 7.2. Part of the installation
included applying the vms-v7.2_upgrade, vms-v7.2_sys, vms-v7.2_hardware,
and vms-v7.1_graphics patches.  After installing the patches and
necessary layered products, we ran cluster_config.com and made this
node a boot node.  Next we ran cluster_config.com again and added a
satellite node, (another Alpha 1200).  We booted the satellite node
via ethernet and watched as the node joined the cluster.  However
after the satellite joined the cluster the following error displ;ayed
on the satellite's console screen.

*PKQDRIVER-W PKB0, pkq_alloc_queues: run autogen with feedback to set
NPAG_BAP_Params

ePKQDRIVER-W- PKB0, pkq_unit_init_fork: Port can NOT come online,
pkq_alloc_queues() returened failure.

%MSCPLOAD-I-CONFIGSCAN, enabled automatic disk serving

Waiting to tune system...
Waiting to tune system...
Waiting to tune system...
Waiting to tune system...
Waiting to tune system...
Waiting to tune system...

Then it just sits there. I tried running autogen with the following...

then i rebooted but no luck, same problem.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

thanks

russ

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Satellite switching boot nodes in multiple boot node LAVC

Hello LAVC gurus, I need your help:

Given: LAVC consisting of boot nodes A and B and satellites X and Y.
       A and B are vax 11/750s with identical system disks except for
       nodeid, and similar node specific files.

       Satellite X boots from A
       Satellite Y boots from B

Now,   Boot node A goes down.  Satellite X is as a result hung and can't
       reboot from A which is down.

Desired result: Dynamic reconfiguration so when X reboots, B answers the
       call because A doesn't.  I.e., X should boot from A, but if A is
       down, boot from B; Y should boot from B, but if B is down, boot from
       A.  Is it possible to achieve this result without a system manager
       running cluster_config at the time of failure??

Todd Wipke

2. Personal Commands and L&H VoiceXpress v4

3. decnet problem with satellite boot

4. ROLM CBX-II 8000 running release 8004 - Analog line question

5. Bugcheck booting satellite after upgrade to 7.1-2

6. Cable Moden/LAN, Sygate, Security Problem

7. Satellite boot problems OpenVMS AlphA V7.1/DECNET IV

8. ERROR LOADING LOCAL STORAGE

9. I have a problem about cross-architecture satellite booting.

10. Changing boot disk on satellite member

11. Slooooow satellite boot

12. Bugcheck booting satellite after upgrade to 7.1-2

13. boot a satellite node